Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

Again, I appreciate everyone that goes out and makes use of this a99 camera. Gives me a chance to not have to lay out the "big bucks" until the "green light" is posted. For me, SONY just waited too long to produce this one. While I was in school, I had a right to experiment and kind of absorb the overt costs. Now, not so much. Making the change would require a much more severe consideration. The cost/benefit has to be exploited.

No surprises? By it not having RF-triggering technology and WiFi... again, i protest that this is short-sighted. C'mon... this is professional level equipment, right? Right? So, what's left?

Congrats on breaking 10K, Rooz. Jeff ought to send you a "no-prize" or something.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-14-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Enuf with the RF. having it or not does by no means define a pro grade camera. In fact most pros wouldn't give a rats as they are already wedded to to their own systems which are far easier to use cross flash. I've been thru this before.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Wireless alleviates all sorts of contact issues. I like that. 'Nuff said!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

im not talking about wireless
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The a99 is incomplete...

Look, as far as I am concerned, the a99 is still a work-in-progress... and I find that irritating and "unprofessional."

I have spent countless hours trying to come up with a list of things that the camera should have built inside of it, by default. Nothing outrageous... just basic in-menu controls... that simplify the photographic experience. I really detest complicated thought processes, when it comes to shooting things... like having to get up and adjust contrast ratios in the studio lights/external flashes and/or recording images to remote storage devices or directly to the Internet.

These are things that are well within reach of the manufacturers and have been for almost 5-years, Rooz. These are not the kind issues faced by the "snap-happy" low-level photographers. The manufacturers need to get on-board with solving REAL and on-going issues for the higher-level photographers. I suppose that I just do not get where you are coming from on this.

Also, you have me confused as to why you think the RX-1 is such a quantum leap in camera-hood? C'mon, $2795 for a Full Frame Point & Shoot!?! I just gape in awe at the sheer lunacy of throwing that kind of money at a purposely limited tool.

Name:  sony-DSC-RX1-full-frame-camera-3.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  42.3 KB

This is not an approach that I feel is worth the time, unless you are on permanent vacation. Maybe at a $1000... at worse, $1500, but not $3K!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-16-2012 at 07:47 AM.

flickr & Sdi

still waiting for the a999

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Look, as far as I am concerned, the a99 is still a work-in-progress... and I find that irritating and "unprofessional."
    I think your interpretation of professional is off.

I have spent countless hours trying to come up with a list of things that the camera should have built inside of it, by default. Nothing outrageous... just basic in-menu controls... that simplify the photographic experience. I really detest complicated thought processes, when it comes to shooting things... like having to get up and adjust contrast ratios in the studio lights/external flashes and/or recording images to remote storage devices or directly to the Internet.
    Perhaps you've over thought it.

These are things that are well within reach of the manufacturers and have been for almost 5-years, Rooz. These are not the kind issues faced by the "snap-happy" low-level photographers. The manufacturers need to get on-board with solving REAL and on-going issues for the higher-level photographers. I suppose that I just do not get where you are coming from on this.
    Lol actually they are on board solving real issues.

Hi ISo ? Check.
    Dynamic range ? Check
    Overall iq ? Check
    Great glass ? Check
    Video implementation ? Check, (well, Sony at least has)
    Metering ? Check
    AF ? Check
    Better menu systems ? Check
    Better button access ? Check
    Better Weathersealing ? Check
    Shutter durability ? Check

Hell, talk to pro photographers and these are the things they talk about. Gear heads talk about rf flashes and for the umpteenth time, radio flash in body while possibly handy, will highly unlikely be on the top of any pros wishlist. And for the umpteenth time, there are issues with backward compatibility and making of buy oem flashes which I think sucks.

Also, you have me confused as to why you think the RX-1 is such a quantum leap in camera-hood? C'mon, $2795 for a Full Frame Point & Shoot!?! I just gape in awe at the sheer lunacy of throwing that kind of money at a purposely limited tool.

Name:  sony-DSC-RX1-full-frame-camera-3.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  42.3 KB

This is not an approach that I feel is worth the time, unless you are on permanent vacation. Maybe at a $1000... at worse, $1500, but not $3K!
    An fx sensor in a discreet point and shoot body that fits in your pocket. Really...you don't get that ? Come on man. Granted, as i pointed out, the price is typical Sony speculation, but the concept is both genius and exciting. It's a $1500-1800 camera IMHO. So yes grossly overpriced.

As for purposely limited tool...well sure. So is a 300/2.8 at double that price...so what ?
    flickr

LOL, good read Rooz.

But what's that nonsense about making folk buy OEM flash guns. Third party flashes are available and Sony is no less propritary than CaNikon. Can you use a Speedlight on a Canon or vice versa, of course not.

Still don't agree about the RX1 pricing. Sure it would be nice at the price you suggest but that is a unique camera and a niche market. I think they should have included the optical finder but have you seen that tilting EVF, neat. I bet Leica are looking over their shoulders.

Here we go with the Leica alternative. Another niche camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    LOL, good read Rooz.

But what's that nonsense about making folk buy OEM flash guns. Third party flashes are available and Sony is no less propritary than CaNikon. Can you use a Speedlight on a Canon or vice versa, of course not.
    You missed the nuance of the point I'm making Peter. I'm not talking about the flash compatibility now, I'm talking about flash compatibility post the implementation of a radio flash commander in body.

Don is suggesting radio flash control in the Sony body. Well no point having a transmitter without a receiver right ? So guess what that means...all old flashes out the door and buy the new and exciting Sony oem flash perfectly compatible with the Sony radio controlled flash controller built into the a999. All other flashes become useless if you want to use the new system. Some may say well just buy a special receiver to plug into your old stuff. Well sure...that kinda already exists...It's called a cybersync or pw.
    flickr