Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

I'm calling you out on our bullsh&t and thoroughly enjoying the process of doing that.
    This may be the anonymous Internet, but you should still be accountable at some times for misrepresenting and being disingenuous.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

You've run up against one thing, Rooz: Don will keep repeating his drivel, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over....As usual he'll never actually engage in debate, but keep dodging, changing the subject, and ignoring intelligent response. I still watch the debate or lack of it here, but Don's worn me down, I can't argue with him anymore, for the fact, that he refuses to argue, or debate, and just keeps repeating the same uninteresting, useless, inane, opinion. This forum was always 70% or more Don, now it's closer to 90% as people have grown tired of the silliness.
    Last edited by TenD; 04-28-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    You've run up against one thing, Rooz: Don will keep repeating his drivel, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over....As usual he'll never actually engage in debate, but keep dodging, changing the subject, and ignoring intelligent response. I still watch the debate or lack of it here, but Don's worn me down, I can't argue with him anymore, for the fact, that he refuses to argue, or debate, and just keeps repeating the same uninteresting, useless, inane, opinion. This forum was always 70% or more Don, now it's closer to 90% as people have grown tired of the silliness.
    Exactly. I even tried to humor Don and pretend like he had a point, and just wanted Don to show how his so-called idea would help or the lack of it is hurting his shots. Not that he seems to actually photograph anything. But he can't answer any questions as usual, just keeps repeating his nonsensical BS. But I can understand why Rooz doesn't want to let him off the hook.

Don: enjoy your gadgets and please please please write all the stuff you write on this forum to Sony

I spent a lot of time and money with SONY, last year, putting forth my idea. While the Engineer and technical support staff, at the location seemed quite interested, once I demonstrated and proposed my "built-in" system and its universal advantage when using studio and dedicated (proprietary) flash devices.

Upon conclusion of my presentation, they said that SONY had determined they would like to concentrate their investment in getting the rather useless MOVIE function to be more useful. I suggested they put it back in a camcorder and be done with it.

I am here to tell you that a still camera photographer could give two piles for this feature. I, rarely, if ever use my MOVIE camera. I gave it to the wife to make use of, otherwise the battery-pack would go belly-up due to non-use.

What I need in my still-camera (pay attention folks) is a full featured RF controller for electronic-flash systems (strobe and hot-shoe type) that can be updated with each software/firmware change. I want to be able to adjust power ratios on the remote flash... I want to be able to meter the flash output... I want TTL compensation... and I want RF trigger for both the shutter and the flash systems.

The closest thing I have found to what I was looking to see was the $179 Paul C. Buff Cyber Commander.

Name:  cc_face_1010.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  58.6 KB

Again, this device misses the direct-to-camera metering-aspect I would enjoy, which the a99 could easily integrate if the controller were built-in or had some additional "smart" connections to the hot shoe. As it now stands, the Cybersync RF controller operates completely independent of the camera and only relies on the flash sync pulse from the hot shoe (this is about as "ignorant" a connection that you can have and have it still operate. The only worse would be a pc-sync connection). That usually results in the loss of any HSS capability, which if integrated into the camera (TTL), you could enjoy.

Of course, as Rooz says, it would EQUALLY well on a Canon/Nikon or any other standard ISO hot shoe. Mediocrity knows no bounds, here. I just want to have the camera permanently married to its flash system control to not only free up the hot shoe, but also simplify the over metering aspect. When you adjust the +/- button on the top of the camera body... the selected flash unit or the overall camera settings (shutter speed/aperture) vary according to selection.

Now, you can call this drivel if you wish. Personally, I do not really care. "MOVIE mode" to me is drivel. I cannot think of anything LESS important on a still camera. The people that use movie-mode as some kind of religious choice, Usually cannot deliver a meaningful still-shot (well composed and optimally lit). Focus, folks. Concentrate. Make your static image tell the story... and forget that silly MOVIE button. It is a lazy solution and often results in a poorly composed and printable shot.

Thus speaketh the composer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I spent a lot of time and money with SONY, last year, putting forth my idea. While the Engineer and technical support staff, at the location seemed quite interested, once I demonstrated and proposed my "built-in" system and its universal advantage when using studio and dedicated (proprietary) flash devicesUpon conclusion of my presentation, they said that SONY had determined they would like to concentrate their investment in getting the rather useless MOVIE function to be more useful.
    Translation: they're thinking...who is this fruit loop ?

I suggested they put it back in a camcorder and be done with it.
    Ok...fabrication #1...this has been a fabrication put forward by you that has been debunked before but since you have a short memory, I will pick it up again. A camcorder simply cannot do what a dslr can do with video. Period. It's like saying that a 5d can be replaced with an s100 compact for photography. It's a nonsense as they are 2 different tools capable of 2 different things.

I am here to tell you that a still camera photographer could give two piles for this feature. I, rarely, if ever use my MOVIE camera. I gave it to the wife to make use of, otherwise the battery-pack would go belly-up due to non-use.
    It doesn't matter whether you give 2 piles or not. Any don't build a don model, a Chris model and any other individual model of. A era. They produce cameras that sell and appeal to the broadest base.

What I need in my still-camera (pay attention folks) is a full featured RF controller for electronic-flash systems (strobe and hot-shoe type) that can be updated with each software/firmware change. I want to be able to adjust power ratios on the remote flash... I want to be able to meter the flash output... I want TTL compensation... and I want RF trigger for both the shutter and the flash systems.
    What you need already exists, you just don't know how to use it. That why I suggested strobist.com lighting for beginners 101. You should start there and work your way up.

The closest thing I have found to what I was looking to see was the $179 Paul C. Buff Cyber Commander.

Again, this device misses the direct-to-camera metering-aspect I would enjoy, which the a99 could easily integrate if the controller were built-in or had some additional "smart" connections to the hot shoe. As it now stands, the Cybersync RF controller operates completely independent of the camera and only relies on the flash sync pulse from the hot shoe (this is about as "ignorant" a connection that you can have and have it still operate. The only worse would be a pc-sync connection). That usually results in the loss of any HSS capability, which if integrated into the camera (TTL), you could enjoy.
    All technical mumbo jumbo. While you're arguing the toss about specs and such nonsense, photographers are using it flawlessly and have been for close to a decade.

the people that use movie-mode as some kind of religious choice, Usually cannot deliver a meaningful still-shot (well composed and optimally lit).
    This made me laugh so hard it wasn't funny. The highest level photographers are using movie mode at the moment and making masterpieces. There's only one person in this game that can't deliver a meaningful, well composed and optimally lit photograph and its not the people of are referring to...the answer is let's just say...closer to home.

Focus, folks. Concentrate. Make your static image tell the story... and forget that silly MOVIE button. It is a lazy solution and often results in a poorly composed and printable shot.
    Actually, movies are infinitely more complex and technically challenging to get right in every respect. Lazy ? Hardly. Is it my creative medium of choice ? Nope. But I suspect that firing remote flashes aren't everyone's modus operadi either so by your juvenile ill conceived logic, why bother with flashes at all given so many people aren't using 1 flash let alone multiple units.

Thus speaketh the composer.
    I think what you meant to say was pretender.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    I think what you meant to say was pretender.
    Ouch...lol

Full Frame video... it's all in the detail

No, Rooz... I did not mistype. Check for optical imperfections, my friend.

Again, the idea of having the a850/a900 retrofitted with an improved sensor seems to be a much better solution than paying another $3000 for an inferior movie-camera.

People are not happy with the full frame lack of detail.

See here

But, you go your way... and just keep going. I know what I am looking for out of MY photography, regardless of your typical evaluation.

Case composed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    People are not happy with the full frame lack of detail.

See here
    yet more misleading information. SOME people are not happy. sure. actually...its 2 people in that thread. woooooppeeee. I can find thousands of people online that still think the earth is flat. doesn't make it so. opinions are like...well you know the rest...case dismissed...
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    yet more misleading information. SOME people are not happy. sure. actually...its 2 people in that thread. woooooppeeee. I can find thousands of people online that still think the earth is flat. doesn't make it so. opinions are like...well you know the rest...case dismissed...
    It's more like the jury is still out.

I am willing to wait to see if SONY will find the door and step into the light. Someone over there has to still own a brain.

flickr & Sdi

After reading several postings on various websites, the argument stands:

stick with the a850/a900 DSLR or upgrade to the a99 DSLT?

The logic dictates that migrating might be okay, but if you are getting what you want from the a850/a900... you will not get that much more out of an a99 (~$3000+)... and that waiting for the next release of the FF camera might be the wisest choice. If you need fancy-schmancy options... buying the (APS-C) a77 (~$1300 or less) might be the wisest route, until the next generation of FF comes out... hopefully with ALL the bells and whistles.

A99

Great image quality 89.0
    High resolution screen 1,229k dots
    Image stabilization Sensor shift
    High ISO 25,600 ISO
    Almost no delay when powering up 700 ms startup delay
    Flip-out screen Great for movies

A77

Large viewfinder 0.72x
    Image stabilization Sensor shift
    Rapid fire 12 fps
    Flip-out screen Great for movies
    In-camera panoramas Stitches together multiple photos into a panorama
    Takes 3D photos View photos in 3D on 3D televisions

Advantages of the Sony SLT A77 over SLT A99

Takes 3D photos Yes vs No Combines multiple photos into a 3D image

Shoots much faster 12 fps vs 6 fps 2x faster continuous shooting

Slightly larger viewfinder 0.72x vs 0.71x Almost the same

Cheaper $998.00 vs $2,798.00 The best price we've seen is $1,800 cheaper (2.8x less)

Slightly smaller 143x104x81 mm vs 147x111x78 mm Around 10% smaller

Lighter 732 g vs 812 g Around 10% lighter

Advantages of the Sony SLT-A99 over the SLT-A77

Lower noise at high ISO 1,555 ISO vs 801 ISO The SLT-A99 has a slight edge (1 f-stop) in low noise, high ISO performance

Better image quality 89.0 vs 78.0 More than 10% better image quality

Much less startup delay 700 ms vs 3100 ms 4.4x less delay when turning on

Significantly higher resolution screen 1,229k dots vs 921k dots More than 30% higher resolution screen

Much larger sensor Full frame 35.8x24.0mm vs APS-C 23.5x15.6mm Around 2.5x larger sensor

Better maximum light sensitivity 25,600 ISO vs 16,000 ISO The SLT-A99's maximum light sensitivity is 0.7 f-stops better

More dynamic range 14 EV vs 13.2 EV 0.8 f-stops more dynamic range

Better color depth 25 bits vs 24 bits Distinguishes 1 more bits of color

Has more storage slots 2 vs 1 More slots allows storing more images without switching memory cards

Thinner 3.1" vs 3.2" Almost the same

Personally... I'm staying put, as stated. I'd rather sink the money into the new SIGMA 120-300mm f/2.8 USB focus adjustable lens. This is like having "Micro-adjust" right on the lens... for those DSLR/DSLT cameras lacking such a feature.

Name:  usb_dock.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  13.9 KB

USB Dock Compatibility

Sigma has developed special software (SIGMA Optimization Pro) that can update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus. In addition, the lenses from our Sports line have customizable AF speed, focus limiter and OS function. The “Custom Mode Switch” is the device for further customization on the dedicated lenses.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-10-2013 at 02:55 AM.

flickr & Sdi