Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I guess I have an issue with your level of progress... and still using limited/defective technologies. How about we fix the problem so many are waiting to correct? I was not waiting to make movies, Rooz. Never was.

I'm not kidding about this Rooz... and you, my friend, do not have your finger on the pulse.
    I don't have defective equipment and, (arguably), neither do you. tell me one thing that you're "revolution" to photography achieves that i cant already achieve today.
    unless you can make an argument, stop your whining cos at the moment you're recommending a solution to a non-existent problem. you're doing that to make excuses for your own deficiencies.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

My own "deficiencies?" You mean my inability to trigger flash unit with IR over thirty-feet away. YEAH. NO KIDDING!

Funny you should notice that... as I assume you cannot do it, either! Wink Wink Nudge Nudge

Will you just give it up for the new kid on the block? IR should be optional, at best... not primary. Those days are over. Excuse me as I feed your dinosaur!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-20-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

My own "deficiencies?" You mean my inability to trigger flash unit with IR over thirty-feet away. YEAH. NO KIDDING!

Funny you should notice that... as I assume you cannot do it, either! Wink Wink Nudge Nudge

Will you just give it up for the new kid on the block? IR should be optional, at best... not primary. Those days are over. Excuse me as I feed your dinosaur!
    im not talking about IR. im talking about my cybersyncs which are RF and have worked flawlessly since 2009 with any camera and any flash. well except for proprietary sony garbage that you need a $10 adaptor for...but sony thankfully remedied this nonsense by moving to a standard hotshoe.

so I ask you AGAIN don, what does your whizbang proposal offer that cant be achieved already ? what problem are you solving ? what limitation are you removing ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

It's what's inside that counts!

I desire built-in control (from the camera) of flash scenarios... instead of a third-party solution. The idea of the manufacturer keeping the firmware solution INSIDE and compliant means a lot. Actually, it would seem the preferred methodology, as this would keep that manufacturer's need for the ever-present proprietary aspect inside, too.

Call it "SONY RF FLASH SOLUTION INSIDE"

Can't you just feel the masses running to the stores, screaming for this?

"Get RF-flash-control inside, SONY!"

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  17.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

In other words...You're not solving a problem and there is no current limitation. All this bluster and angst about nothing. Not only that, but by adding the transmitter in the camera you also forego the ability to use the system on multiple cameras as is the case now. So not only are you failing to solve or even identify a problem but you're solution is more limiting and less flexible.

You've boxed yourself into a corner and made yourself look quite foolish.
    flickr

The point is that, as you had stated in your usual tirade, each manufacturer, for good or bad, wants to maintain their own fiefdom concerning their product line. That's where the uphill battle lies... not in the technological approach to solving this shortcoming of IR. I submit that universality in this connection to flash products would be ideal, but I know: GET REAL!

What is foolish is your disparaging an attempt to improve the art. There is a certain level of feigned ignorance on your part, concerning this. Your reasoning for this is beyond me. I apologize, but for the life of me, I have never understood the "upside-down" mind. Must be all the continual blood rushing in, eh?

You need to stand on your head for a while and celebrate some clear-thinking.

I know I have made may proposals abundantly clear and about as open-minded as can be reasonably expected.

While I appreciate a counter-thought... calling an advancement "foolish" seems... regressive. Sorry, that's just the way I see it, standing right-side up, in Chicago, mate.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-21-2013 at 08:05 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The point is that, as you had stated in your usual tirade, each manufacturer, for good or bad, wants to maintain their own fiefdom concerning their product line. That's where the uphill battle lies... not in the technological approach to solving this shortcoming of IR. I submit that universality in this connection to flash products would be ideal, but I know: GET REAL!

What is foolish is your disparaging an attempt to improve the art. There is a certain level of feigned ignorance on your part, concerning this. Your reasoning for this is beyond me. I apologize, but for the life of me, I have never understood the "upside-down" mind. Must be all the continual blood rushing in, eh?

You need to stand on your head for a while and celebrate some clear-thinking.

I know I have made may proposals abundantly clear and about as open-minded as can be reasonably expected.

While I appreciate a counter-thought... calling an advancement "foolish" seems... regressive. Sorry, that's just the way I see it, standing right-side up, in Chicago, mate.
    Why don't you just answer the questions and respond with facts. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    In other words...You're not solving a problem and there is no current limitation. All this bluster and angst about nothing. Not only that, but by adding the transmitter in the camera you also forego the ability to use the system on multiple cameras as is the case now. So not only are you failing to solve or even identify a problem but you're solution is more limiting and less flexible.
    What is this advancement you speak of ? What will it enable you to do that can't already be done ?
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    What is this advancement you speak of ? What will it enable you to do that can't already be done ?
    "Finesse" <-- a word for the refinement of the art. Sure, you can BRUTE FORCE anything you wish. I grow tired of having to operate my flash system with a virtual sledgehammer,

Name:  cartoon-sledge-hammer-guy.gif
Views: 26
Size:  25.2 KB

when it could be so easily changed over to a far more RELIABLE solution (RF) inside the camera's body, like the Canon EOS 5D Mk III.

Again, this is consolidation and advancement of method. The a99 is tremendous platform... that is just missing the boat when it comes to this. We just suffer needlessly, by allowing SONY to continue using the limited and legacy bound IR-solution. The a900/a850 should have been the end of the line for that nonsense... but no... they dragged right back into the a99 design. Short-sighted and an opportunity missed, to say the least.

Canon has already stepped up to the line and begun the transition with their $499 (sale priced) 600EX-RT flash unit. No astronomical cost to this. In fact, the technology looks to have cost less than its predecessor. Why is that, I wonder?

Name:  600EX-RT.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  26.2 KB

Smart move, if I do say so, myself. So where is SONY? As usual, two steps ahead and three back.

If you are going to break paradigms with your camera, then do it all the way and fix the shortcomings, too.

Again, Rooz, I do not know how to remove you from the "dark side", as it were... and make you see the light on this. One major manufacturer has "stepped up" and begun the necessary transition to make this work, successfully. I suppose they will just have to drag you, kicking and screaming, into Nikon, when they also make this "necessary evil" a reality.

It can be done.. and it should be done... as fast as the industry can make it happen.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-22-2013 at 01:51 AM.

flickr & Sdi

"Finesse" <-- a word for the refinement of the art.
    Right, so you concur that there is no PROBLEM and there is no LIMITATION ?

Sure, you can BRUTE FORCE anything you wish. I grow tired of having to operate my flash system with a virtual sledgehammer, when it could be so easily changed over to a far more RELIABLE solution (RF) inside the camera's body, like the Canon EOS 5D Mk III.
    how exactly are you using it like a sledgehammer ? what exactly is this brute force you are referring to ? rather than cure little cartoons that i'd expect of a 14yo, how about you articulate what you mean like an adult.

all you've described, and canon have introduced, is a neater RF flash solution. that is all fine and dandy but I say to you again, this isn't an advancement in the art nor is it an advancement in photography. why ? cos the options already exist.

I know what this is all about, your a gadget man and you need a new gadget fix.
    flickr

As a man of few words... you remain as limited as your criticisms/critiques.

No RF-solution exists for SONY by SONY. It only exists via third-party... and SONY is now having some fun with these folks by introducing a variant in the very hot shoe design. Compatibility... don't make me laugh. What used to work... no longer can w/o an adapter. Obviously, they mean to have you use their proprietary IF-solution, only. Having access to such a solution, you are trapped entirely with the SONY/late-Minolta TTL strata... with no way out.

I'm sorry... they can keep their solution. I want more! There's a big world of lighting just waiting on this freedom/ownership of the air waves!

Consider you standing in a field of tall grass... and over fifty-feet (50) away there are three enormous flash groups you want to sequentially trigger and individually ratio-control from where you are standing. You look down at your SONY a99 and... keep looking, because nothing it comes with will do that.

You just dropped $3000 for the camera for what? It cannot take this image without a tremendous amount of help from three different devices... and even that is risky, because they went and changed the flippin' hot shoe!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-22-2013 at 03:57 AM.

flickr & Sdi