Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

translation: im uber jealous of the creativity and skill level of the younger folk. why don't my shots look that good ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Jim,

You're right. What was I thinking? I guess since I drifted out of the age of acne, my thought process has become muddled and errant. I so miss my Clearasil days. The days of being obnoxiously ignorant and of the belief that I knew it all.
    As we age, we acquire experience, experience pulls us through, and shapes us into what we are and what we become. Experience also has a bad side effect: It holds us back and makes us wary of things that were bad experiences. Youth doesn't have as many of these barriers built up, and allows the freedom to experiment and create.

Thanks for refocusing my reflections on things. Considering the rampant disinterest I had witnessed as I attended school, over the past four years... I find myself wondering... WHAT? What in the heck are you hinging this viewpoint on? Left to their own ends, I really do not see much of anything getting done by the current crop of students. It is embarrassing to witness... and you can criticize my efforts any way you wish, but that is not going to change anything in regards to the limited output this bunch is NOT up to.
    I'm guessing the students didn't share your opinions, and you're far too arrogant to listen to anything they might say. Their reaction out of politeness, indifference. Instead of looking down your reading glasses at them engage them, treat them as equals, I'd bet you'd be amazed.

Personally, it matters not how many silly/simple cameras SONY throws at these "young folk"... they appear unphased by any of it. Oh sure, there many be a few dozen "interested" children, but the rest... too busy with smart phone photography and social networking nonsense to care about the nuances of serious SLR-type imagery. The real shutter-snobs are still not getting what they desire... and I suspect, once they leave... you can just reach in and shut off the lights. The real party's over.
    There's a party? Serious SLR photography? Give me a break, why don't you get serious? The real photographers...not shutter snobs, are embracing the stuff of today and doing amazing things with it. They stopped taking photos of Captain America a long time ago. They are out using this fantastic equipment and making incredible images and movies...you, not so much. I've looked at your flickr, there's nothing new there. There hasn't been anything new there for a long time. And most of what I see there is purely pedestrian, simply snapshots.

Let's look at a serious, yet foolish statistic:

"How about some more ... ed-ja-macation"
    Started by DonSchap, 10-26-2009 03:07 PM
    pages 1, 2, 3... 84

Replies: 835
    Views: 126,190

I did something with my education, Jim. I actually shared it. Perhaps one of the MOST READ efforts on this little forum, aside from POTD. Find that anywhere else. I double-dog dare ya!
    It was shared, but as a look what I've done, rather than let's discuss this and learn. It wasn't most read because it was good, it was most read because, well, we were wondering what was going to happen next. It was read because you bludgeoned us with it, posts, posts, posts. I'll have to admit you were the most civil, and subdued I've ever seen you in that thread, I actually thought you were learning something, but here we are again, same old Don. The real unfortunate thing is, you went to school all of that time, and learned absolutely nothing.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Jim,

I'll be honest... on a personal level... I did not get that much out of the "educational environment" I HAD SO WILLINGLY ELECTED TO USE TO "IMPROVE MYSELF." I am more than disappointed with the way it all turned out, but then when I recently witnessed 4000 photography studio employees wiped off the employment role by Sears... disappointment turned to absolute horror.

As for school, if anything, the liberal leanings of the faculty did more to restrict my creativity than to enhance it. Oh sure, there were some exceptions to the group, but the sheer brevity of these supportive experiences made the overall effect rather insincere and frustratingly useless. I learned far more by investigating my concerns on my own and just simply asking questions on the DCRP forum. When you're fifty-something, you're not really interested having some restrict your options. Being a "grown-up", hopefully. you tend to acquire a sense of SELF. Regardless, the school should have a more liberating effect (within the standards of safety, resources and other reasonable expectations) for a more MATURE student, not being the typical bump-on-a-log, I-can't-be-bothered type of individual they usually get.

Sure, I took time to address these shortfalls, but when you are dealing with academia, they usually have their set-in-stone and I'm-God-in-my-classroom standards and are not all that interested in learning anything "new", themselves, despite technology improvements and other nuances. Digital photography has been going through some impressive changes in the past six years... and an lot of these folks are still clinging to their film-photography ways or are just flat out refusing to learn digital at all. They are being left behind, but they are retarding the students in their classes, also. It is simple cause and effect, I'm afraid.

As some background, I am old enough to remember the introduction issues of handheld calculators versus "slip-sticks." It was no fun back then, either. The slide-ruler bunch made life very difficult to accept the change. Kids learn faster than adults do... and I accept that. They embrace change with lightning speed because they are not predisposed tot he "baggage of the past." The current crop these "learners' have chairs with a deep impression of their respective rear-ends, having spent 16-hours a day either texting their relatively boring non-existence to the rest of the planet or just playing video-games until mom comes downstairs and shoves a biscuit in their pie-hole.

Again, this may be hard to hear... so turn up the volume, Jim... the inherent lazy-nature of most of the typical student population the school usually gets would not require much in the way of nurturing, as they are usually empty-headed slugs that their parents shagged out of their basement, interrupting their electronic game-time, to try and recover something from the $2,800 a quarter tuition. You accuse me of being alone with this evaluation, but I assure you, it is shared throughout the system. There is a complete lack of seriousness for most of these young folk and that is truly sad, but in light of the lack of employment opportunities in the current economy... it does beg the question, "Who gives a rat's rear end... you cannot get a real job."

I am, obviously, nowhere near as optimistic as you appear to be... and rightly so. I did the time (recently)... you didn't. I had my eyes checked... and they still perceive quite well... and what I see is not very inspiring, impressive or, at the very least, of much hope. Your opinion differs and I acknowledge that. You, on the flip-side, have to value my opinion the same way. You may disagree... and it is okay to be WRONG. I experienced what I am sharing with you, whether you accept the results... or not. My student-shoes are waiting for you camera-slingers (not Darin) to slip them on and take a 1-mile (4-year) jaunt. Until you do, I suggest you reserve your evaluation until you have a reasonable experience to enjoy offering it from. If you do not feel the same way, after that miserable experience, I would be sincerely surprised. Fair is fair... so, pays your dues, my friend.

You've taken this

The a99 is the offensive unit, here. It needs to be completed with an RF-sync solution built into it, otherwise all we have is a severely mixed up camera system. You do not believe me... fine, read these eighteen pages of discussion.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-31-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Arrogant and Condescending...do you get along with anyone?

I can agree somewhat, but every generation's had the same thoughts: "these kids these days...." You have to acknowledge there is talent in there. You being condescending and delusional isn't helping at all.

My previous post stated my opinion of the a99, it BLOWS THE a850 OUT OF THE WATER, in every category except sensor density. You chose to respond by lambasting the youth of today instead of staying on subject. It was you sir who took this thread off subject, I was merely responding to your post...

I guess it's time for you to move to Nikon... That will certainly fix your photographic shortcomings. Oly and Pentax to follow.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    Arrogant and Condescending...do you get along with anyone?
    It is my job to get along... and I have been complimented with telling it like it is and solving people's problems. You want puppets? Call an a99 owner. Photography is my passion... and I tend to want it to work as... well, as I want it to... not you or anyone else. It is my ART... MINE MINE MINE... and you do not have to agree with any of it. I have not seen a dime of your money to pay for it, Jim. Where do you... you know...? Much like painting, drawing... even free-style dance... whatever I wish... that is my expectation and pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    I guess it's time for you to move to Nikon... That will certainly fix your photographic shortcomings. Oly and Pentax to follow.
    Nah...

I'm willing to give SONY one more shot to get it right, before I pull the plug. The a99 is a pass, for sure. I have no need for it. I'll leave the aggravation of movie-making to the children. I need the flash issue solved, and the a99 has not done that, as many others users have found. This isn't happenstance... this is engineering, plain and simple. You have to plan for things to work right... and not left. That's all I am asking for. FIX it and get 'er done.

As far as a generational thing... that might have been the way we could excuse it, in earlier times, when the television and Internet did not corrupt the youth at lightning fast speeds. That has been a rapid erosion from the mid-nineteen-nineties. Recovery looks pretty grim and even the educators, who are a pretty forward looking bunch are shrugging their shoulders at what to do about it. Employers do not even want to hire these slugs.... they want foreign kids, who have not yet been spoiled by the systems. I suppose the discussion concerning the generations has resulted in "dumbing down" the camera hardware and might explain the need to incorporate automatic/point&shoot features into the "Professional"-level cameras. Had it been the "past" photographers... the need might not have been there, but with the new crop of numb-skulls.... there it is. Manufacturing knows! They cannot even produce a readable, understandably written manual anymore... it's all pictures.

Acch... defend as you wish. I'm getting too old for this... and my last nerve is shot. Do not get me wrong, here, Jim. I appreciate a constructive discussion. I would like to think that it is an effort in... yeah, thinking. Any idjit can say "no." It takes a real hero to step up and say, "Let's go!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-31-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

maybe you just went to a crap school. and more to the point, I don't think there are too many talented photographers going to a college. they're too busy shooting.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

So let me get this right.
    You got nothing out of your 4 years of school...because you knew it all already.
    You strove to be a Sears portrait studio photographer...and are disappointed because they all got laid off.
    In four years you taught yourself... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... nothing.
    You were the only one who actually tried to do something in school...the faculty held you back because they were liberal/God...or is it that they made you follow the time tested (88% placement) curriculum?
    You agree young people learn faster and easier...wait a minute, no, they're lazy...it's Obama's fault even though W started us down this pathway...does this include the young person you photographed graduating (your son??)?
    Sure with your superior knowledge, BFA, 88% placement, and Sony, you have your dream photography job now...right? Oh yeah, Sears screwed you...
    Ansel Adams

Sears saw fit to put 4000 additional photography workers on the street, Jim. That's a lot of additional and needless pressure for the current photography grads. (In fact, just last night, I learned that Photography Arts are about the worst thing to try and find work in, these days. Being an IT-tech, it is far stronger a field to make a living at, albeit, far more boring than photography, in my not-so-humble opinion.)

According to Forbes: Non-technical majors–the arts (11.1%), humanities and liberal arts (9.4%), social sciences (8.9%) and law and public policy (8.1%)–generally have higher unemployment rates. Conversely, health care, business, and the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and math) have been more stable and higher paying for recent college graduates. A nursing grad, for instance, faces a below-average unemployment rate of 4% and a median starting salary of $48,000.

No. 2 Worst College Major: Film, Video And Photographic Arts
    Unemployment rate for recent grads: 12.9%
    Median earnings for recent grads: $30,000

Unemployment rate for experienced grads: 6.7%
    Median earnings for experienced grads: $50,000

As lazy as these kids appear to be... when they graduate, they're right back to haunting their parent's basement, apparently, doing what they do best: High score on whatever arcade game. Hey... I'm just pointing it out. You want vital statistics... use the Internet and just gather some. The school, itself, had to justify its existence because of the problem of its graduates finding suitable and gainful employment in order to be able to pay school debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    maybe you just went to a crap school. and more to the point, I don't think there are too many talented photographers going to a college. they're too busy shooting.
    Name:  logo-main.gif
Views: 43
Size:  6.1 KB

Here's a copy of the program ideal:

Gainful Employment Information for our Programs

Your education is an important and substantial investment in your future. That’s why we want you to have comprehensive and specific information about our programs so that you can determine what’s best for you and your career goals.

Select the program and location in which you’re interested to learn:

Total tuition and fees for the program, including estimated book and supply costs and estimated costs if room and board is available at the school. Please note your direct costs can change if you transfer in credit hours from previous education institutions. In addition, we typically increase the tuition rate every year.
    On-time graduation rates, which illustrates of those students who graduated, what percent of those students graduated on time.
    Graduate placement success.
    Median debt concerning the program, broken down by financing type.
    The names of the occupations for which the program prepares students, accompanied by links to a federal government site which contains occupational profiles and potential income, sometime after graduation (we do not guarantee placement or salary).

Yes, school was disappointing, with a capital "D." (<- This translates into: "It was not worth the money")

An obvious question: Did I need more education?

Answer: Heck no! I was doing just fine... but, then again, times have changed and the demand for a certified "sheepskin" has increased a hundred-fold. My thirty-years of OJT and work experience gets a strange look from HR... and you are then presented with the fact that you do not meet the minimum education requirements. My resume is placed in the "circular file" and I need not apply until I had gotten ed-ju-macated. Hence, the back-to-school effort -> just for the published certification. I did not wind up creating tomorrow... I just record yesterday.

As you all can readily see, I do have issues with expressing myself clearly, as too many misunderstand my intent. It seems many of my explanations get twisted around and no matter how many times I try to pound it home, it does seem to get through. I apologize for that shortfall (especially to you, Rooz. I don't rightly know how big a cricket bat I'd need with you, pal ).

Admittedly, I did learn about business operation and how "gainful photography" was more about 95% of office operation versus the 5% shutter-time. I received that from a "real-world" photography-business owner, not a true academic. That realization was very educational, if not downright disheartening. That one class was the startling revelation. Studio time was a reasonable experience, but nothing you could not learn on your own... with a good training book.

Let's not make this about me. It's not. I am far more exceptional in this case than not. They call me an "outlier" in the statistical world. I just decided to get a degree in something I like doing rather than something that I already have plenty of OJT and seminar education in. A "BFA" is a four-year degree. Good enough to meet the "minimum education requirement" in most HR offices. I just wanted to share the experience with the masses, to let you see the inside workings of the program through my jaundiced and aged eyes. It was never meant to be an authoritative effort. Just for fun and introspection.

The fact remains that the administration is pushing for all these younger people to be well-educated and... then what? We wind up with a whole bunch of people, who have run up enormous "educational debt" (typically $40,000+... $80,000+ for the 4-yr student) and no way to repay it. There are still no real jobs to go into. Unemployment was at 375,000 new applicants, last month. 4000 more were added this month, courtesy of Sears. I would like to see how many of these folks were freshly educated... and then how many graduates are sitting at home, having never had a job, YET. It is hard to get an Unemployment Check, if you've never been employed.

Sure, these "newbies" have their certification, but turn "the sheepskin" over... no real experience. The holder is a blank slate. Temp agencies are full of people who have education/experience and are thriving, because employers will not hire permanent staff, if they do not have to. They "OPT OUT" of the medical and insurance requirements by contracting temp staff, who have to supply their own. It's a "try & buy" for the permanent employer. No real commitment to worry about.

Again, what is happening is embarrassing for a country with such financial power as the USA enjoys... and then again, the ambition and hunger for a better life seems to be missing from the kids. How do you inspire children who already had everything they needed all their lives? It's the "new" social norm that is destroying the fabric of this country.

In fact: You don't even have to seek out information on foot (effecticvely eliminating the libraries and other hard-copy information resources). Just pull up virtual "Google" and type in whatever you want to know.

Make them care, Jim. I dare you and everyone else.

Topic reference: The a99 needs RF-triggering
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-01-2013 at 02:24 AM.

flickr & Sdi

It's the "new" social norm that is destroying the fabric of this country.
    personally I find the self centred, whiny adult infatuated by greed and devoid of perspective infinitely more destructive.

not sure how you get by with such a negative, sour outlook on life and the future. especially when you have so little reason to be that way. the problem you have, like so many others in the modern western developed world is that you don't know how good you've got it. I see these kids today and as a whole am excited about what they bring to the table. as suggested to you, look around flickr at what these kids are doing...they are AWESOME and I learn from their creativity all the time.
    Last edited by Rooz; 06-01-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    flickr

Oh yeah, the a99 needs RF trigger...

Let me remind you again. On one of your sidesteps you started this topic, it wasn't me.

The a99 doesn't need and RF trigger, you can certainly add one if that is what you desire for your photography.

You can say that it needs one, but older people these days certainly care way too much to let a little trigger dissuade them from the task at hand. Old people who know how to use libraries and don't want to use GOOGLE. It's really the more mature people, they have what it takes. They have their HANDS on the pulse of the session, of the way things are when if the people educated with justice and american, obviously it's Obama's fault, along with Sears, liberals, and RF units. If you can't see my point then I suggest you go to a library and look it up.

I suggest we knock down all of the pins and press on with this subject.

Name:  Bowling-Pins.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  122.3 KB
    Ansel Adams