Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

Sony has actually really came up with some awesome products recently. The RX1 and Nex cameras are great. The SLT is an advancement, it's new technology, time will tell if it's lasting technology.

But as I've said in past posts, Sony has a history of isolating their products, making them proprietary, and closing the door on any competition. This is a double edged sword: it might isolate a product so far as to alienate (memory stick, Betamax, mini- disc), or they might corner the market (blu-ray). This is one of the top reasons I rarely if ever buy Sony, I hate their business practices.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

a99 is the least advanced ? lol
    dont confuse opinions with facts Don.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz, that reference was an overall comparison to prior products, gauging one design against the other. To me, this is a $3000 excursion in not getting much more bang for my buck. The bang for the buck, over the a900 is just not there, for still images. You would have to shoot a whole lot of images to appreciate the cost recovery. That's all.

Now... if SONY added something of real value... such as the "built-in" RF flash synchronization and remote trigger solution, then you would have the significant value to your photographic solution. But, to remain with the same type of problematic issues IR-technology forces on you... there's no real reason to make the change. The a900 still is one heck of a camera... and still retains the Minolta Hot Shoe (iISO).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

back to this RF nonsense again....goodness me...so you don't think its worth it, fine. so what ? that's the decision everyone has to make with every updated camera ever made by ANY manufacturer. in fact that's a decision people have to make with every CONSUMER GOOD period !! this is nothing new. the only new thing here is sony actually made a camera that is top notch. if you want to stick to you're a850 then so be it.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz, it still does not relieve me of having some hope for a truly "insightful" design aimed as the camera system controller. Implementing this, now, seems to be perfect timing. Later, it looks like a mistake of missed opportunity.

No one else is charging out with an SLT design. If anyone had the rights to go for something like that, it was Canon, with the SLR pellical-design. Much like Xerox's invention of the "mouse" device, at PARC, someone else brought that baby to market and it revolutionized the market... heck, the world.

Here in the studio and outdoor flash world, complete RF-control of the camera system simply makes more sense than some interference prone IR-based system. The time has come for ALL of the respective manufactures to get rid of the "old ways" and step up, for the benefit on one and all. If SONY insists and putting out IR-based technology, I am done dumping my cash into it. I can simply not afford another $3000 for the camera and then spend another $1000 to find, still another, suitable third-party RF TTL/Ratio solution (when it finally gets around to being offered, if ever). It is getting old and is totally dismissive of the user community.

The real issue was with the "unexpected" introduction of this complete new ISO hot shoe... which requires an adapter to use all of their previous produced flash designs. Sounds brave, but it was manipulative towards third-party players. Now, they are all back "behind the 8-ball", literally stuck with thousands of defunct units (regarding the future use with the a99 and other new cameras) and problem is only worse.

So it goes... locked by a failure to proceed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You obviously enjoy repeating yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I don't, so until you bring something new and sensible to the table, this discussion is...dare I say...over.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-15-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    flickr

You're so right, sir.

It is very much like digging your vehicle out of a mud pit.

I figure if I can keep the ball rolling, something just MIGHT HAPPEN. Who knows? Nothing ventured and all that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.

flickr & Sdi

You know, Rooz,

My biggest concern, at this point, is no so much in buying the "incomplete" a99, but with investing any more money into any ALPHA mount items, with all this dubious activity going on.

I've been looking very closely at the "new" SIGMA 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

Name:  898837.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  42.1 KB

But, if I'm looking to jump ship... this kind of purchase ($900) will just have to wait. I mean, put yourself in my shoes, mate. How torn can you be before you just give up?

flickr & Sdi

No big deal!

SONY had to find a way to compete with Nikon's much cheaper release, the D600 ($2099).

Name:  25488_D600_left.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  185.8 KB

So... they came up with a deal selling the a99 bundled with the HVL-F60AM flash and the vertical grip, for only $2799.99.

Name:  SLTA99VVGC99AMACCYBUNDLE.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  196.3 KB

If you consider the respective cost of these accessories, they represent $930 worth of savings. I suppose I'll pretend to understand why they did not lower the actual body price, but there it is... the "effective" price reduction I had alluded to, long ago.

Gosh, would it not be easier to just listen to the audience, than to play these games? The SLT-a99 did not cost that much to produce.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Wait...you mean that a camera is discounted months after its release ? Noooooooo ?!

You mean the price of a camera is directly related to its shelf life ? Noooooooooo !!!!!!!!

And you mean to tell me you predicted that this camera would eventually be cheaper than its RRP was at original release date ? I don't believe it ! GENIUS !

lol
    flickr