Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

When you two pony up for your much lauded SONY a99, then you'll have me interested... you know, "put up or..." well, you know the rest. I do not want to be rude.

And Rooz, none of that SONY RX-1 nonsense. Apples and oranges, as far as I am concerned.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    When you two pony up for your much lauded SONY a99, then you'll have me interested... you know, "put up or..." well, you know the rest. I do not want to be rude.

And Rooz, none of that SONY RX-1 nonsense. Apples and oranges, as far as I am concerned.
    I don't need to buy a new camera though. Just cos you don't buy something doesn't mean you can't pass comment on it. If I was a Sony user invested in the mount I'd be all over it though and a very happy camper. No question at all.

See it's apples and oranges regarding the rx1. I'm not seeking to compare it to the a99. My point of raising the rx1 and the whole nex line and the rx100 isn't to compare it against dslr, it's about seeing the Sony vision. Getting an idea where they are going and I like it very much. Apart from the fuji x series, I can't think of any other camera which has captured my imagination and attention like the rx1 has. And here's the rub Donny boy...it's not just me my friend. Nex and the new rx line has won the universal acclaim of most serious photographers, reviewers and professionals alike. No self respecting pro or serious amateur whole have given Sony any more than a derisionary glance a couple of years ago, now read what they are saying about the rx line and the nex line. People are loving what's happening.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I'll be honest with ya... SONY can keep the new stuff, as far as I am concerned, just hand the reigns of the A-mount DSLR manufacturing license over to someone that is interested in improving their quality and making it into the "pro's choice"... not this mishmash of old and new tech. I would have been a lot happier seeing TAMRON getting the Minolta line, not flavor-of-the-week/toy-sumer SONY.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I'll be honest with ya... SONY can keep the new stuff, as far as I am concerned, just hand the reigns of the A-mount DSLR manufacturing license over to someone that is interested in improving their quality and making it into the "pro's choice"... not this mishmash of old and new tech. I would have been a lot happier seeing TAMRON getting the Minolta line, not flavor-of-the-week/toy-sumer SONY.
    But you don't seem to understand that they are in fact improving the quality. What you want is the gimmick. How ironic ! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Look... what I want is complete control and flexibility over my flash solution. After all this time, it is not unachievable or not-to-be-expected of today's camera system. Having built-in, menu-control of TTL ratio-variable flash and synchronization of flash units makes most studio and wedding photographers salivate. Not having to fight to get your "well-lit" image seems less of a gimmick and more of a requirement of professional-level cameras.

Sure, the low-end cameras (people who are just snapping) are not going to take the time to calculate exposure this extent. I mean, who cares, right? Just pop-up the fill-flash or whatever and on your way. But, the true finesse this represents, without having to run back and forth to every strobe, adjusting the power-levels... that, my friend, is the true savings -> TIME.

Personally, I would suggest that the irony is that it does not already exist!

SONY has already introduced an error in the flash processing signal. It does not synch properly. A lot of experimentation is being done to narrow in on this fault, but it is definitely in the new DSLT cameras. The older DSLR-types do not exhibit this issue. "Reliable flash" is paramount to the studio shooter. The new cameras are far more complicated in the way they adjust when taking the image... and processing timing changes. Apparently, the flash timing sequence does not follow along with these internal changes. Third-party attachments cannot cope with the camera's internal timing issues. Only SONY can... they built it. With the timing needs so critical... it has become a semi-serious problem for those who use this aspect of photography.

I guess I just do not get why you would be resistant to a solid FIX to solve this. I did not invent the DSLT, I'm just stuck with it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-24-2013 at 03:08 AM.

flickr & Sdi

I'm not resistant. For the last time, I just don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be. And i certainly don't agree that it has anything whatsoever to do with being an amateur or pro solution. last time i looked you were an amateur so why do you keep harping on about pro this and pro that ?

And the lack of RF has nothing to do with dslt. Not a single thing.
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    And the lack of RF has nothing to do with dslt. Not a single thing.
    It is an excellent reason to implement this solution. WHY use old, problematic technology in your flagship camera? Please, start looking up before you trip over this gravestone.

flickr & Sdi

Okay… concerning the a99 and the “NEW” problems it has introduced for the current SONY DSLR user community:

A fellow SONY photographer recently opined on the fact that SONY does not seem to care for third-party manufacturers hanging their products off the line of products. For the past seven years, SONY has enjoyed exclusive control over the Minolta proprietary hot-shoe (iISO) and, now, three third-party manufacturers have finally adopted an iISO-version of their product to fit the SONY DSLR hot shoe and, of course, out of defense, SONY immediately changes it, again, in their newest offerings (ala a99, a58, NEX7n, RX1).

At first, this was touted as “getting back to the standard ISO hot shoe”, but upon closer inspection, it truly is not. In fact, the SONY DSLR community did not even ask for this kind of serious change. The "new" shoe creates issues with the previous hot shoe devices (e.g., elex flash units). The change apparently originated within the SONY engineering corps, to further defuse the hot-shoe changes finally being ADOPTED by these brave third-party manufacturers.

Now, arguably, this kind of intrigue is more than just annoying… but, judging as to how out of touch SONY has been with its own user community, I can easily buy into this almost "cynical" interpretation. It makes a lot more sense than anything else I have heard.

What do you folks think? I believe that "the proof" is out there... if you simply look closer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-13-2013 at 01:40 PM.

flickr & Sdi

What do I think? I think this is typical Sony behavior. Sony never plays nice with others, they never have.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Well, there it is. Thanks, Jim. Listen close... I do believe you can hear the sound of one-hand clapping out there.

SONY has seen fit to make this forum a desert. Instead of having decent advancements to talk about, it has become a declaration of the obvious. Is there no shame in this? Have we become so jaundiced by the continual denial of technological progression and barrage of face-punches that we have lost our voice?

Personally, to me... the DSLT-a99 turned out to be the least advanced effort I have seen from the entire line. Touted as the best camera, so far... I have to say... "NAY!"

I mean, to plop down another $3000 for this latest FF-effort is just wasteful, when you can still get a DSLR a900 for half of that... and not only have a great camera... but, it is even more compatible with what you already own than this latest release is!

I guess we will just have to see how short-sighted the masses are, in this most recent decision. I am hoping they will come to the right conclusion and not go along with it... providing the evidence that SONY apparently needs to rethink their plan. The wrong road is STILL the wrong road. Just turn around and take "the right."

flickr & Sdi