Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

There's nothing you proposed it needs to have.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I want it... how's that for need? Good customer support is just as important as solid manufacturing. I propose we just cave in to my demands and go from there. Thanks.

You know, just because they did not include these additions doesn't make the camera unsatisfactory... it's just a lot less than it could be.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Update to the a99 capability

Okay, upon closer inspection... and without much hoopla, the a99 DOES have Remote Camera Control with the following software: Remote Camera Control (RCC) Ver. 3.0

I have tested it and this "upgraded" software works with the a700/a850/a900 also, so you will not need different installations on your PC.

Good for you, SONY! I have to say that this continues to be a seriously important feature for my photography and one of the reasons I stuck with the a850. There is a lot to be said for being able to control your camera... 160-feet away!

Of course, I still do not understand the reason behind why there still is no RF trigger/ratio control of the SONY flash system. The current SONY IR-type of flash control is so limiting with physical obstacles, equipment angles and sheer light, itself, interfering. You could have the world at your feet by adding RF. Just do it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Case in point!

After a brief read through the a99 issues on Dyxum, it seems that our old friend "flash-sync" in different modes is... (Class?)... INCONSISTENT! OMG! Are you kidding me? Have the chickens really come hone to roost?

Look, I tried... and you know I did, to warn them that attempting to make the old IR-technology work with the new SLT was chancey at best... and sure enough, sync speeds of 1/250 have an upper frame shadow, in many lighting situations. Oh thank you Infra-red Pre-flash. You made my day!

Look, we've had enough fun with this, right? Let's opt for RF-control over flash systems and start over. If you want legacy IR-control in the camera, fine, but add the RF, just to expand the idea of "reliability" to reality.

Look, I use my camera... I know what I want in it. When I pull that shutter release, it ALL has to work... the first time and every time after that. Call it: "professional expectation."

Are we done looking, yet? Photography, when you break it down to its base roots, consists of "timing" and "shadow control." That's it. All the goofy add-on gimmicks are modifications to that simple, two-part solution. If the lights don't go on at the right time, you don't get the image you want. When that shutter opens... it's time to see the light. When it closes, who cares?

In a nut shell, the a99's hot shoe, at 1/250th second, is setting off the flash improperly synchronized and leaving a shadow at the top of the frame. Obviously, not the game you want if this is your selected shutter speed. The a850/a900 and the new a77 do not seem to have this issue, with the same lighting set ups. It is exclusive to the a99, at this time. It has been reported to SONY, but I continue to contend that if they offered a tweak-able (adjustable flash sync delay) RF-solution, this kind of thing could be eliminated (as simply as "Micro-adjust" works with the focus). I mean, a lot of third-party lighting solutions are crap shoot, when you go with SONY. I suggest that it is time to grow-up and make it all compatible, now.

Most companies are "menu-crazy" with their new releases. THIS is just a few more line entries and flash becomes your slave.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.

flickr & Sdi

ahhh the beauty of the forum staying open so we can continue to read your dribbling ! lol
    im genuinely glad i can still post with you Don despite, in fact BECAUSE, of your dellusional posts ! it takes all kinds as they say.

a very happy new year to you and your family mate.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Back attacha, mate!

Thanks to Jeff's good nature... the forum lives on... and we can shoot our mouths off to strive to have it all.

Look, I may not have all the answers, but I am trying. God knows, if I had the R&D bucks, there would be some major changes made! Hopefully, for the better.

May this year be the best, yet, positioning hardware so we can better produce our art.

Get crackin'!

flickr & Sdi

A little more consideration

So, we obviously want to keep the SONY a99 looking trim and smooth. A lot fo work went into the ergonomics of the design... so, where do we hide the 2.4 GHz RF antenna stub?

Well, the left side of the camera seems the best place, in my estimation (see red dashed-outlines).

Reliable Flash Inside

Name:  a99-RF-front.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  a99-RF-IO-side.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  a99-RF-top.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  51.2 KB

Your left hand rarely is there, it is usually on the lens, in a supporting or manual focus role.

flickr & Sdi

Movin' along...

Looks like pressure is definitely building on SONY to try and get this unfortunate and outdated pre-flash issue resolved. What an awesome opportunity to redesign the a99!

flickr & Sdi

oh yeah...its all i read about. the a99 needs RF !
    its all over the internet !! there are protests at sony HQ !!

a google of built in RF trigger for sony alpha and a scour thru all the a99 reviews yielded...ahhhhh zero results fordemands on RF.
    flickr

Hey... just wander over to Dyxum and check out the "a99" forum, under "Cameras."

The "real discussion" is taking place there. These are the "real buyers" of the a99. As nice as the DCRP is... the money seems to be in other locations. I won't be buying one, unless SONY makes this much needed change to their "high-end" cameras. I will no longer keep buying into an unworkable and ancient technological solution. I can get the same result without having to drop another dime into hardware.

These people should be advanced enough to understand the importance of this FLASH issue. If they want to keep ignoring it, I keep my money. It's pretty simple.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.

flickr & Sdi