Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

The people you describe as "photographers" are a small and shrinking segment of the population. The folks you dismiss as "teenagers with their parent's credit card" are transforming the medium, but more importantly, they're buying more gear. The camera for the ages is a dead end - there's more transformation and experimentation now then ever before in photography. And amazing work is being done by the folks you dismiss as being not serious.

I'm afraid we just don't see the world the same way you do. However, the manufacturers all see it the same way, and frankly, that's what matters in the marketplace. If there was a market for the cameras you describe someone would make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I always sigh with a distinct level of true exasperation while discussing that which, to me, would seem so obvious and appropriate. ALL of the respondents seem so...
    well, resistant to seeing these kind of important and not very ambitious changes to the cameras. It's not just SONY... but all of the manufacturers. This continual
    "caving into trends" only leads to more and more expensive toys that really, when you think about it, the advancements are not of all that much use.

Consider a camera that addresses the true need of the "photographer" and not some teenager with access their parents credit card. What if (<- the magic-phrase)
    the manufacturers actually addressed the basic "system" needs of the people who really put the cameras to work... and not merely those off taking P&S pictures of
    the weird things their buddies are doing? Look, this is not an elitist point of view... it's just getting the tool for the job BUILT. Just ONE, solid solution... that people
    will point to and say... "Now, that's the camera for the ages... a Power Package."

Oh, sure... build the goofy, trendy stuff if you want, but don't make it the only game in town. I simply will not play.

Remember... the solution necessary is well within the grasp of technology... it there's simply assembly required.

I say, "GET 'ER DONE! Build the SONY Alpha One Photographic System Controller" -> a true professional-level camera.

If I had the funds, I'd show you and produce it myself. Menu-driven simplicity... for the seriously interested player. Lighting (menu-controlled)... Camera (menu-controlled
    or tethered)... you supply the action. BAM! Awesome, evaluative, cost-effective photography. Technologically superior 2.4Mhz wireless lighting control, 'coded' wireless
    remote control and encrypted wireless storage of data to online (WiFi) or off-camera storage. Heck, consider the idea of having your images instantly reproduced on a much
    larger, daylight viewable LED screen (10-inch, perhaps), that you could carry with you, for closer inspection of your work, if you so desire. A system representing the most
    advanced and useable portable, interchangeable lens digital camera system in the world.

It can be done.. cheaply and quickly... and able to be duplicated in future releases.

I have proven the low-cost effectiveness of robotic additions to the tripod and through-the-lens video for real time focusing and guidance, with USB-connectivity (for
    Federal restrictions of broadcasting) successfully stretched and powered over 150-feet from the computer, over four years ago (Yeah, I've got the pictures).
    Believe me, it's nothing new, I assure you. With the real time capability of the a99 functionality, it has been made even simpler. The real camera that SHOULD be embodying
    these aspects is just MIA.

Think ahead... and focus on a practical solution you do not have to continually tinker with, because TIME is a thief and you want that shot... right now!

My God! Where do I get one? Acch... they won't build it... too busy making movies, I guess.
    how on earth can one man get it so wrong so often ? thats all i wanna know. lmao
    based on what you are asking for and what you are critcising of todays camera market, you havent got the faintest idea what "real" phtoographers want. as i pointed out before, just about everything REAL photographers want is being provided...in spades.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I always sigh with a distinct level of true exasperation while discussing that which, to me, would seem so obvious and appropriate. ALL of the respondents seem so...
    well, resistant to seeing these kind of important and not very ambitious changes to the cameras. It's not just SONY... but all of the manufacturers. This continual
    "caving into trends" only leads to more and more expensive toys that really, when you think about it, the advancements are not of all that much use.
    By and large "Trends" are set by the marketplace and those who don't follow get castigated and lose market share. The a900 didn't have Live View or Video and remember the response to that fiasco. At least Sony is prepared to buck the trend and innovate and AFAICS are doing a pretty good job of it. You may not like what they are doing and there are many who dislike the move away from the OVF but there are benefits attached to that which win the approval of many others, myself included.

Consider a camera that addresses the true need of the "photographer" and not some teenager with access their parents credit card. What if (<- the magic-phrase)
    the manufacturers actually addressed the basic "system" needs of the people who really put the cameras to work... and not merely those off taking P&S pictures of
    the weird things their buddies are doing? Look, this is not an elitist point of view... it's just getting the tool for the job BUILT. Just ONE, solid solution... that people
    will point to and say... "Now, that's the camera for the ages... a Power Package."

Oh, sure... build the goofy, trendy stuff if you want, but don't make it the only game in town. I simply will not play.

Remember... the solution necessary is well within the grasp of technology... it there's simply assembly required.

I say, "GET 'ER DONE! Build the SONY Alpha One Photographic System Controller" -> a true professional-level camera.
    Yes, but these things are your own personal view of what's needed and not shared by the majority of users. Not that some additions would be unwelcome.

If I had the funds, I'd show you and produce it myself. Menu-driven simplicity... for the seriously interested player. Lighting (menu-controlled)... Camera (menu-controlled
    Menus are fine for those little used function but I want buttons and dials for fast access.

or tethered)... you supply the action. BAM! Awesome, evaluative, cost-effective photography. Technologically superior 2.4Mhz wireless lighting control, 'coded' wireless
    remote control and encrypted wireless storage of data to online (WiFi) or off-camera storage.
    The last thing I want is another expensive monthly "Data" plan just so I can upload images from the camera, nor do I wish to rely on the vagaries of Wi-Fi to transfer images to off camera storage, I can do that cheaply and easily with a portable battery powered HDD.

Heck, consider the idea of having your images instantly reproduced on a much
    larger, daylight viewable LED screen (10-inch, perhaps), that you could carry with you, for closer inspection of your work, if you so desire. A system representing the most
    advanced and useable portable, interchangeable lens digital camera system in the world. It can be done.. cheaply and quickly... and able to be duplicated in future releases.
    That's if you want to be burdened with that extra gear. In any case, Sony sell a small screen for that purpose or you can always use a laptop. Granted you need to plug it in but chances are you'd be in a (Portable) Studio situation anyway.

I have proven the low-cost effectiveness of robotic additions to the tripod and through-the-lens video for real time focusing and guidance, with USB-connectivity (for
    Federal restrictions of broadcasting) successfully stretched and powered over 150-feet from the computer, over four years ago (Yeah, I've got the pictures).
    Believe me, it's nothing new, I assure you. With the real time capability of the a99 functionality, it has been made even simpler. The real camera that SHOULD be embodying
    these aspects is just MIA.
    Yes, but that's only useful for a very small section of the buying public and would see little use in practice. It's a niche product , maybe you should market it yourself and make a fortune!

Think ahead... and focus on a practical solution you do not have to continually tinker with, because TIME is a thief and you want that shot... right now!

My God! Where do I get one? Acch... they won't build it... too busy making movies, I guess.
    But the very nice Image you attached has nothing to do with the things you've been espousing. In fact, the a99 will be a much better tool for the job. Better IQ and cleaner higher ISO, AF-D for much better tracking with your 70-400mm and the WYSIWYG EVF for exposure in changing conditions.

Shift your paradigm... and embrace true power

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    I'm afraid we just don't see the world the same way you do. However, the manufacturers all see it the same way, and frankly, that's what matters in the marketplace. If there was a market for the cameras you describe someone would make it.
    David... I am holding the cash for the "proper" device. I and many others are a market, my friend. Just because there are the children-of-the-credit generation running around, buying this and that, as soon as it hits the shelves, on a whim, does not mean the rest of the masses are satisfied. Many artists and pro-level people who have been waiting for just such a device to be constructed and delivered. Over and over, year after year, the "dream list" continues... and they delivered THIS... in opposition to a camera with the "real punch" for the professional.

Peter... when they add the "pro" features, I may reconsider the additional $3000 outlay. Right now, it is too darn expensive to pay that kind of coin for not REALLY what I wanted. Let's get the COMPLETE camera built... at least once. They can do it.

I made it very clear than an over-sized a77 is just another silly lack of vision, hardly a pro consideration.

Just make the multitude of legacy Minolta shooters truly happy, for ONCE. I mean, can you imagine the reception a camera system this capable would have gotten at Photokina and CES? No one would have gone to Canon or Nikon, with this kind of COMPLETE TOOL available, especially since the ISO-hot shoe is back on board. All their lighting attachments would be "compliant." Then, as a future point of interest, add in the advanced-ISO connectivity to provide even more menu-control to your RF-trigger/controlled flash groups. I know it would have captured my consideration.

The "intense interest" might have even spawned additions in A-mount glass, for these migrating users, including tilt-shift and longer-reach optics. I like that part, too. But no, all we have is an over-sized a77... and a little bit more. Again, it comes down to limited thinking, with no real incentive for others to hop the fence. If they did not come for the a77... the a99 still is not enough punch.

Addressing Rooz's comment... the, hey look here, mate... I've been shooting and experimenting with photography for thirty-plus years. I think I know what I want in my rig. Other opinions do not have to be the rule for me or anyone else, when it comes to creativity or consideration. I know what I find important... and the solid additions I want to see. Pretty plain and simple, really. I have put it out there, regardless of your estimation of its value. Echoes of how nice it would be to have these little additions resound in many postings responding to these ideas and desires. I also figure, hey. if it doesn't work, who cares? They can forget it or advance it in the next iteration. Just put it in, ONCE, and see what happens! Your lack of imagination should have no bearing on the possibilities. It's a big old world... move along.

A complete "wireless" camera control system is entirely possible and I suspect it would revolutionize the entire way we now do things... for the better. Pieces are already out there... all I want it to have them in my grip, all the time, and standardized within the menu-system. That's the "professional" package, in my opinion. The a99 is the prototype that simply needs to be completed. Can you imagine (I know it's a reach, mate) just how awesome a camera it would be with these simple additions made to it? Who would ever go back to Canon or Nikon with an imaging-weapon this potent?

To SONY I say, thanks... but, uh... go finish it up, now. In for a penny... in for a pound. The 'old, invested market' says "Deliver the knock-out punch."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-19-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I and many others are a market, my friend.
    Agreed. You're just too small of a market to make money for the camera makers. You don't realize that, but Sony does.

Almost an upgrade...

The additions I am asking for are already developed... they simply need integration, not research. A few menu-additions and the associated programming for control. Having come from a manufacturing background, this is a 'glorified' field change. But... you can evaluate it however you want. I, for one, am not letting them off the hook. I want the full package or I stay home with my investment.

Enjoy the day.

There is no advantage to the a99, in its current form, for me. Just lost market, I guess. My $3000+ stays in the bank, this time.

My advice, build the camera system I want to shoot with. Plain and simple. A few additions and we are there... and, more importantly to you, David, I write my check! The market is whole, again, and the birds begin to chirp and sing.

Think of it as an expensive sports car... with cheap sound system inside. I mean, "what?" Don't you want the "whole" package?

I mean, once SONY puts out the "final word" in professional cameras... they have the market. Right now, not so much. When buyers said "Finally"... all they meant was there was "something" to replace the a900... but, it is not the "final word" on the subject, plain and simple. Important pieces are still acutely missing for those who are truly craftsman and care about such things.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-19-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

There is no advantage to the a99, in its current form, for me. Just lost market, I guess. My $3000+ stays in the bank, this time.

My advice, build the camera system I want to shoot with. Plain and simple. A few additions and we are there... and, more importantly to you, David, I write my check! The market is whole, again, and the birds begin to chirp and sing.
    I know I'm wasting keystrokes here...
    Don, you just don't get it. REAL PROs don't get all emotional about their gear. They buy what they need to get the job done and move on.
    So you're waiting instead...what I hear is that you'd rather keep using a mediocre sensor and system, etc. because they didn't put wireless stuff in there and won't enjoy the improvements they've made because you didn't get your way. Doesn't sound like a professional making a rational decision.
    Never mind that I'm sure if they put in all the unnecessary junk you want in the body you'll complain that it costs too much, weighs too much, etc etc etc. and won't buy it anyway. Sony knows the market and who actually buys their stuff enough to pay their bills...and it's not you.

Fine. I have wasted enough time in protest, anyway. I wasn't asking for the world, just the added details to make fit in my world.

I can get what I need from the a850. Sure, it doesn't make videos... but, I didn't anyway. Just 24.6 MP still images... just like the a99 does. So, I am supposed to reach into my pocket, dig deep and rake out another $3000 to produce the same thing?

Sorry, not this time. Just finish the camera-system, properly, and shoot me a line, when it's out there. I can wait. I've been with SONY the entire way... close, but no cigar.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Addressing Rooz's comment... the, hey look here, mate... I've been shooting and experimenting with photography for thirty-plus years. I think I know what I want in my rig.
    Really ? Then why are your opinions on what you want inconsistent ?

Other opinions do not have to be the rule for me or anyone else, when it comes to creativity or consideration. I know what I find important... and the solid additions I want to see. Pretty plain and simple, really. I have put it out there, regardless of your estimation of its value. Echoes of how nice it would be to have these little additions resound in many postings responding to these ideas and desires. I also figure, hey. if it doesn't work, who cares? They can forget it or advance it in the next iteration. Just put it in, ONCE, and see what happens! Your lack of imagination should have no bearing on the possibilities. It's a big old world... move along.
    Fine. Call them "don" features then and no one will argue. we all gave our pet wants and hates. but what YOU want is not by default what pros want. in fact what you want is not even what enthusiasts or advanced users want. I've yet to see a single thread created by anyone else anywhere on the net on the same kind of mission for such relatively inconsequential technology improvements.

A complete "wireless" camera control system is entirely possible and I suspect it would revolutionize the entire way we now do things... for the better. Pieces are already out there... all I want it to have them in my grip, all the time, and standardized within the menu-system. That's the "professional" package, in my opinion. The a99 is the prototype that simply needs to be completed. Can you imagine (I know it's a reach, mate) just how awesome a camera it would be with these simple additions made to it? Who would ever go back to Canon or Nikon with an imaging-weapon this potent?
    Yeah...that's gonna happen. A complete wireless control system is introduced by Sony, (what even is this anyway ?), and the day after canon and nikon go broke as the production lines stop and all the professionals dump their gear on ebay pining for Sonys latest toy.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr