Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

it's not like Minolta never did the same thing in the past. I am still looking for more lenses and film for my Minolta Vectis S1 aps-c SLR...

Actually, they did briefly build a weird digital body that used the Vectis lenses. Almost bought one, but it was an obvious dead end technology path.
    Last edited by kgosden; 10-13-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Short-sighted response to user requests

Look folks, I am, most certainly, well-positioned to migrate to the EVF A-mount design, if I so desire. Right now, my disappointment lies within the lack of WiFi;
    current abilities in remote, electronic Flash control; and tethered (or wireless) remote control. It's just missing-in-action, here. I am also certain you all see my
    point concerning this very acute lack-of-vision and us users having to pass it off to a third-party to get what we, collectively, want in my camera body (truly,
    this is a shoddy alternative).

Politically speaking, the wave of indifference that has swept through the world seems to have a direct impact on corporate responsibility. You really do not have
    to take the thinking too deep, as simple and casual observation with tell you a lot. My suggestion: WAKE UP! Smell the coffee.

Personally, my expectations are not extreme. I contend that they are firm, well considered, and given the current technologies involved, easily accommodated
    within the camera body.

So... when and if these manufacturers finally step up and add the meaningful "goodies" to this "supposedly" pro-level camera line, then they might get my future
    support. Right now, this looks more like a Full Frame "SONY a100" -> in other words, a prototype to some final product that really does
    HAVE IT ALL.

One other thing, the price point on this camera is untenable and hard to understand, considering these shortcomings.

Minolta's biggest contribution to the camera world was their Maxxum/Dynax AutoFocus-system. Initially, the hard-core photographers dismissed
    it as "gimmicky" and unnecessary, but when it was demonstrated to provide focused images, in the dark.,.. well, hot dog! Of course, it was such an awful
    idea, almost all manufacturers have it available, these days.

Oh, shame on you, Mind of Minolta!

Believe me when I say, I am not against new and advanced technology in the least. In fact, I demand it. I just want my true needs attended to, also, as a user.
    The "menu-driven" technology is there, doggone it... PUT IT IN!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I don't give a fig for WiFi or remote EF control.
    What interests me is IQ.

Not worried about IQ getting better. They simply could not sell a camera that did not have better IQ. I mean, why bother trying? Especially at these prices. Good lord!

No, I want better process... and not have to worry about slapping some other "accommodation" on my camera to make it all "sing" together.

Call it "better thinking through invention."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol the issue here is not even you know what you want. you've bounced around so many ideas and so many perspectives just in this thread alone. WIFI, radio controlled flash, better remote funcitonality etc etc etc but at the same time you have a moan about how things were simpler and so wonderful way back when...you need to put together a coherant representation of your POV otherwise its just getting lost in a sea of convoluted babble.

photographers have never had it so good.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, we could have it BETTER, w/o that much more work. It has already been done.

That, mate, is my contention.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, we could have it BETTER, w/o that much more work. It has already been done.

That, mate, is my contention.
    If it's already been done, then buy it from whoever did it and quit complaining about it.

JR... the technology has been addressed... the complaint is that is has not been incorporated into the camera body. Just get that part done and the complaint
    simply disappears. We are not talking about major changes of any kind... just incorporation. Get 'er done, SONY. Complete the a99 project as it should be.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    JR... the technology has been addressed... the complaint is that is has not been incorporated into the camera body. Just get that part done and the complaint simply disappears.
    No, the complaint merely is temporarily suspended until the next bell or whistle you want comes on the market.

The morass of the "right now" generation

I always sigh with a distinct level of true exasperation while discussing that which, to me, would seem so obvious and appropriate. ALL of the respondents seem so...
    well, resistant to seeing these kind of important and not very ambitious changes to the cameras. It's not just SONY... but all of the manufacturers. This continual
    "caving into trends" only leads to more and more expensive toys that really, when you think about it, the advancements are not of all that much use.

Consider a camera that addresses the true need of the "photographer" and not some teenager with access their parents credit card. What if (<- the magic-phrase)
    the manufacturers actually addressed the basic "system" needs of the people who really put the cameras to work... and not merely those off taking P&S pictures of
    the weird things their buddies are doing? Look, this is not an elitist point of view... it's just getting the tool for the job BUILT. Just ONE, solid solution... that people
    will point to and say... "Now, that's the camera for the ages... a Power Package."

Oh, sure... build the goofy, trendy stuff if you want, but don't make it the only game in town. I simply will not play.

Remember... the solution necessary is well within the grasp of technology... it there's simply assembly required.

I say, "GET 'ER DONE! Build the SONY Alpha One Photographic System Controller" -> a true professional-level camera.

If I had the funds, I'd show you and produce it myself. Menu-driven simplicity... for the seriously interested player. Lighting (menu-controlled)... Camera (menu-controlled
    or tethered)... you supply the action. BAM! Awesome, evaluative, cost-effective photography. Technologically superior 2.4Mhz wireless lighting control, 'coded' wireless
    remote control and encrypted wireless storage of data to online (WiFi) or off-camera storage. Heck, consider the idea of having your images instantly reproduced on a much
    larger, daylight viewable LED screen (10-inch, perhaps), that you could carry with you, for closer inspection of your work, if you so desire. A system representing the most
    advanced and useable portable, interchangeable lens digital camera system in the world.

It can be done.. cheaply and quickly... and able to be duplicated in future releases.

I have proven the low-cost effectiveness of robotic additions to the tripod and through-the-lens video for real time focusing and guidance, with USB-connectivity (for
    Federal restrictions of broadcasting) successfully stretched and powered over 150-feet from the computer, over four years ago (Yeah, I've got the pictures).
    Believe me, it's nothing new, I assure you. With the real time capability of the a99 functionality, it has been made even simpler. The real camera that SHOULD be embodying
    these aspects is just MIA.

Think ahead... and focus on a practical solution you do not have to continually tinker with, because TIME is a thief and you want that shot... right now!

Name:  F-22_Spoiling-Climb.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  3.66 MB

My God! Where do I get one? Acch... they won't build it... too busy making movies, I guess.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi