Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Thanks for the correction, David. I meant to get back to this... and all this paperwork could just dump the economy outright. As it stands, they are trying to get tracking on any sales over $600.00 Heck, that's my base rate for most work.
    There you go again, Don, with half-truths and innuendo. That is NOTHING NEW. In the U.S., any business transaction with a non-employee or contractor over $600 should require the paying business to issue a form 1099 and report it to the IRS (it's an informational form). It is up to the recipient to report the income on his or her tax return. So it has been for decades. So quit implying that 1)it's something new and 2)that the government is NOW trying to track everything everyone does like some sort of new conspiracy.
    Actually, people are supposed to report ALL income. The only thing is that transactions over $600 for the year are required to issue a 1099.

what does any of this have to do with the original topic ? lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The original topic was some level of "disappointment" with the presentation of a "professional" level camera that STILL does not address the issue of:

1) in camera "menu-controlled" remote flash
    2) WiFi data dump
    3) Remote Control "wireless" tethering

Then to top it off, they are more concerned about movie-making than taking better still images and fail to produce the obligatory mirror-based DSLR.

These are representative of less-than "state-of-the-art" advancements (meaning they were available 4-years ago) that are being overlooked and we all, now, struggle with privacy issues due to advancements that really are not really needed. I suppose it is a matter of outlook and I have a selfish desire to have these rather simple advancements made to my still camera. Where are they? Cripes, I have no idea.

Here is a dynamite thread to read concerning the concerns of those who have had a chance to actually examine the "a99"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Then to top it off, they are more concerned about movie-making than taking better still images and fail to produce the obligatory mirror-based DSLR.
    Clearly, the folks at Sony don't see any obligation to produce a mirror-based DSLR. If enough of their customers want to make movies and take still photos, they'll make cameras that cater to those customers. If you are not one of those customers, perhaps you should look for a different manufacturer.

The traitorous SONY two-step

When a manufacturer abandons a particular technology, then they should offer the older technology users a clear alternative. I mean, c'mon David, they need to remember "who brought them to the dance?"

When a photographer sinks money into a slew of manufacturer's glass... and that customer is effectively "stuck" by it being mounted on only one bayonet mount (Alpha)... then there is an implicit obligation to provide those investors what they desire to be behind it (or at least the product support to keep repaired that which is mounted behind it). If the manufacturer wants to walk away from them, then they should sell the rights of the equipment to someone who will provide the direct product support. (Just try and get an a700 or an a850 repaired, these days. That's just not going to happen.)

I honestly believe that the E-mount was SONY's (Japan) way to successfully abandon the Alpha-mount and surrender it to the South Koreans. It looked like a terrific way to open up the camera market a bit and get the S. Koreans securely in the game. The Minolta users get to keep their long adored product, w/o the annoying SONY-handheld video market jumping in and corrupting it. No, what happens is the "mirrorless" NEX-product line is born and the DSLR gets a bullet to the brain.

Look, you may enjoy whatever it is that you are about, honestly, that's none of my concern. What is my concern is how brutalized the long-time Minolta-users have effectively become "orphans", watching SONY twist and misshapen this camera line. A lot of money is being wasted, jumping from manufacturer to manufacturer, just because they simply will not cater to their legacy members --> the ones who brought them to the dance in the first place.

IMO, it is morally bankrupt.

Now, if they want to send me a $30,000.00 check to hop all my glass and gear over to Nikonian side of the fence... I'll give it a try. The SONY system got me through school... and it has taught me a cruel lesson.

BTW: Did you even read the material at the end of this link? This not only my opinion, my friend. I'm simply in a long line of camera-jockeys where muck is just about over their respective heads.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

When a manufacturer abandons a particular technology, then they should offer the older technology users a clear alternative. I mean, c'mon David, they need to remember "who brought them to the dance?"
    Welcome to the world of business; Sony doesn't owe you anything. Unless they specifically made a binding legal promise to keep the line going you knew the risk you took in buying them. It's the same risk anyone buying a Canon or Nikon makes. You gambled and lost.

Why would they sell off the rights to the line? They want you to move on to the newer platform. They hope you choose the new Sony platforms and they're willing to write off some percentage of current customers to do so. It's a common business calculation done everyday in boardrooms all over the world.

No one cares that you brought them to the dance. That money has been spent. What they care about is who is buying cameras today and how they can make money off them. Customer brand loyalty is fleeting and fickle, and in many cases that is justified. You have a real beef with Sony but the solution IMO is not to rant about their business decisions but to vote with your wallet and buy a brand you think has a longer term commitment to the platform.

IMO, it is morally bankrupt.
    If you are looking for morals from a multinational conglomerate you will be disappointed on a regular basis.

Surrender to Big Business

David, you are free to excuse this behavior as you see fit. Like you said, I am not "big enough" to tackle them head on. I have to say, "not many are." If I were, they would be standing in court explaining this to the satisfaction of the current SONY/Minolta SLR/DSLR owners.

If they accepted the Minolta design (as they did in 2005/2006) and implied they would support it, then they should do as they advertised. That's just living up to your word and as I like to think of it, expressed integrity. I know that promised "obligation" is not all that popular, based on the last four years, in the USA, amidst all the Hope & Change. So, why should anyone else in the world live up to an agreement? They will just do as they wish, anyway. We're just fools to buy into it.

Your right. I give up. The world loses.

Thanks
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-12-2012 at 10:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

If they accepted the Minolta design (as they did in 2005/2006) and implied they would support it, then they should do as they advertised.
    They never implied that. You inferred it and you did so incorrectly. There was no agreement between you and Sony for them to live up to. You can repeat it as often as you want but I don't see you gaining much traction with that argument.

You are free to look for other manufacturers that share your views but I doubt you'll find any. And please leave politics out of this forum; it doesn't belong here.

Don, this rant is just a load of nonsense.
    If Sony hadn't taken the a-mount on board in 2003, your Minolta glass would have been redundant 10 years ago.
    Better still, the NEX allows use of all my previous 30/40 year old ROKKOR lenses which are still good to go.

Fact, the a-mount is still alive and kicking and Sony have comfirmed continuing support.
    Fact, the a77 takes better images than the a700.
    Fact, the a99 takes better images than the a900.
    Fact, Sony sensors are class leading.
    Fact, Sony is innovating and moving the technology forward.
    Fact, a700/900/850 cameras were bought in insufficient quantities to sustain a viable DSLR business for Sony.
    Fact, some folk prefer the OVF over the EVF, some folk (probably a majority) prefer the EVF or rather, the advantages accruing from the EVF.
    Fact, Sony will make no more OVF cameras. If you want out, the time is now.

It's not hard to see that things will not stay the same and that mirrorless cameras with OSPDAF (on sensor phase detect AF) will eventually rule the roost and they won't necessarily all be e-mount. Tele lenses will still be the same size and front heavy on a NEX style camera so chance are that the a-mount will survive or, at worst, there will be an a-mount adapter like the LEA2.

Anyone who has used the a77 for any length of time knows that the EVF, whilst not perfect, pays you back in so many ways that they (I) would not wish to go back to an OVF camera. I still use my a900 at the wide end but miss the a77 features when I do.

It's just melodramatic nonsense. Alarm bells started ringing when spying, privacy, landing men on the moon, (wtf?!?), and such ridiculous concepts started getting flaunted as genuine discourse.

Its laughable that someone who was so excited about mediocre cameras like the a700 or a850 would be complaining about what Sony have done in the last 3-6 months. Sony have never got it so right as they have right now. take that to the bank.
    Last edited by Rooz; 10-13-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr