Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon 100mm macro focus problem..??

OK... I just bought myself a new Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens 2 weeks ago... razor-sharp closeups; no complaints there... but distant shots are not sharp... is there something obvious that I'm missing; or is this a defective lens..??... tried all various combo settings, manual/auto, etc... same results...any advice is appreciated..thx..Robert

You mean you tried manual mode or manual focus? I'd try manual focus on a tripod. Seems like it should be sharp at all focusing distances. I've heard of something similar with the 35/1.4 L. I believe that person sent the lens into Canon to have it adjusted.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    You mean you tried manual mode or manual focus? I'd try manual focus on a tripod. Seems like it should be sharp at all focusing distances. I've heard of something similar with the 35/1.4 L. I believe that person sent the lens into Canon to have it adjusted.
    yup... I didn't even notice a problem for several weeks, as I was shooting macros... even distant shots @f/16 in sunlight are unsharp... I contacted my seller, Imaging World, & he said it sounded like a defective lens, & to return for replacement. I noticed there is currently a $120 factory rebate on this lens; I'm hoping they will re-issue my sales receipt, so I qualify for the rebate.

thx for reply... Rob