Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Replacing Fujifilm F45fd

So while at the beach, a wave came in and soaked my camera for a good 5 seconds I want to say, and I didn't get to it in time to save it. I loved that camera so much though, and I am sad that it is now discontinued. It was great for its price, and I enjoyed the quality of pictures it was able to take in low-light conditions. Now I am looking to replace it with hopefully something a little better:

Camera Type

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet that's okay!)
    I haven't decided yet, it would depend on the price really. Compact point and shoot would be nice, but I don't have a problem carrying my camera around in a bag or around my neck.

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
    Nope. My first was the Fujifilm F45fd.

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
    I like having some control, considering I took a photography class so I kind of remember what are the ideal settings for different situations.

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
    I'm used to cameras with not much zoom, so I don't really know what I'm missing out on if I did get a camera with a more versatile zoom lens.

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    This doesn't really matter to me. More compact would be nice, but if I could get something way better for the same price, then I'd go for something bigger with more features.

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    Honestly, I think I'm floating between $150-$250, the cheaper the better.

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    Definitely not now, can't really afford much. The most I would want to purchase is a waterproof case/bag (if the camera itself is not waterproof), so I don't have to deal with that issue again.

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    Until I can afford a nice upgrade, which probably won't be for a few years.

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
    Mostly landscape/scenery shots since I'm studying abroad in another country and I've been travelling a lot. Portraits/macro shots are fun too.

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    Most likely not.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    Not a lot at this point in time, but I definitely would like the option to.

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    For now, mainly to view/share images on a computer screen, but I think I may get small prints at CVS/Walmart/etc. in the future.

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    I would like to have to do as little editing as possible, but I do know how to touch-up photos with Photoshop if I need to.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    Not really. Waterproof would be nice, but I'm not sure if the better cameras for my price-range would be waterproof, so I can settle for a waterproof case instead.

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    Obviously I had a great experience with my Fujifilm F45fd camera, so I am parcial to Fujifilm cameras, but I'd also like to think that something better has developed in the past 4 years.

Thank you so much!

The Fuji F200 was the last Fuji model like this to get a good review here. The newer ones don't seem to do well. You can find discontinued models like the F70, F100, and F200 on amazon. Otherwise, Canon offers good basic point and shoots like the A4000, 100HS, and 300HS. Panasonic ZS3 is pretty good all around, too.

I have Canon 300hs, Fuji F70, and Pan ZS3 and like them all.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    The Fuji F200 was the last Fuji model like this to get a good review here. The newer ones don't seem to do well. You can find discontinued models like the F70, F100, and F200 on amazon. Otherwise, Canon offers good basic point and shoots like the A4000, 100HS, and 300HS. Panasonic ZS3 is pretty good all around, too.

I have Canon 300hs, Fuji F70, and Pan ZS3 and like them all.
    I love your suggestions, but have not been able to find any of them out here in Costa Rica. They don't have a very good selection out here, and ordering online is not an option. How are the more updated versions of these models, since I'm more likely to find one of those? Do you have any other suggestions?

The current Canons are the 110, 320, and 520/530; all are very competent cameras. The latest Panasonic travel zoom is the ZS15/20; you can read the review on this site.

You don't seem to have great need for low light performance, but if you did the Canon S100 or Panasonic LX7 would be in the running.