Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Studio Equipment (Adapters, Wireless Sync etc.)

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here!

I'm looking to buy studio lighting to do portraits and family shots to earn a bit of money. However, the Sony flash system isn't kind to studio photographers. Can anybody direct me towards a good wireless flash sync system to work with the studio lights?

Is there anything else I'll need in terms of adapters etc.? There are so many cheap items available on Amazon and eBay, yet I don't know if they'll work properly or if I need them at all.

I'd appreciate any help that could be provided!

Checkout Pixel KING as a remote control support item.

IMO, definitely the best price you will find on this kind of SONY support item.

PocketWizard support is mainly Canon and Nikon... they are useless for SONY, as everything has to be adapted, outside the PC-sync port. I retired my PW set as, effectively, annoying to use, in preference to the Pixel KING.

It's not a real SONY wireless trigger, which those short-sighted people at SONY should indulge themselves, but this is a lot closer than anything else on the market. I have the transmitter and 4x receivers for my studio strobes and SONY flashes. All wireless units have the SONY hotshoe (no adapters required).

I'm not sure how many studio lights you are planning on purchasing, but the "Pixel KING" pair (1x Tran & 1x Rcvr) is also sold as a kit with 1x Trans & 4x Rcvr... if you are looking to save a bit.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Jacko and Don,

This post couldn't be more timely. Went to my studio class prepared to shoot using the school's Pocket Wizards to control the studio strobes and learned that my nagging concern over whether the PocketWizard would mount onto the A900's hot shoe was correct. The best the class tech and teacher could figure is that a PW compatible flash cable would need to be plugged into the camera's front flash port and then to the PW. They suggested I post the question here to see how others have dealt with this situation using PWs.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Well, being the idiot that I am, sometimes, I bought a Minolta FS1100 (or FS1200 <- I forget which) hot shoe adapter (You can get a knock off from Hong Kong for $15) and that will allow you to use the SONY (Minolta) Hot Shoe to the base of the PW. It does work... and I will photograph the set-up when I get a chance. It makes the PW stand about an inch higher or so above the hot shoe mount.

I suppose you could also pop $129 for the SONY Hot Shoe (FA-HS1AM) adapter to get exactly the same result. Hey, it's YOUR money. That logo is sooooo important.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I've looked at the Pixel equipment and the cheap Chinese stuff alike but in particular, the Pixel website says that the Pixel King is not compatible with my a65. I have a feeling this is going to be a common problem. I'm getting fed up with this stumbling block in all honesty.