Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

WHO wants an E-M5?!?!?

Me! I arbitrarily decided the time was right, and cobbled together an E-M5, MMF-2, and 12mm f/2.0 for $1600 with shipping. Used or refurb needless to say. I think I have a new official policy that I should only get used items, preferably beat up, to spare me the trouble, resale value, and minor guilt when I promptly beat them up myself.

Now I have to cobble together and sell a corresponding value of non-beat up items...

Raven,

The few minutes I spent with one in a store was enough to sell me on the newer EVF's. The photos from my wife's new E-PM1 looked quite good during my brief review. So it seems that the image quality is there. But I still need to have a lens like the 4/3rds 50-200 in performance to make me switch.

Yeah, I basically decided my E-410 was in serious need of an upgrade, and the E-PM1 (on the sell list) was in serious need of a viewfinder, so that's how it is.

So did you get one yet? From what I see on the e-system forum you won't be disappointed.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

It came in the mail today, but I wasn't there to get it. It sounds like a good camera. While I expect it to be better than my E-410 in almost every way possible, I hope it is as good as my E-410 in the other ways. I am skeptical about the battery life, weather sealing, and durability for the most part. Everything else should be a shoe in.

So how are you getting on with the E-M5?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I wrote a big write up but lost it irreversibly by somehow hitting the wrong button, will have to get back later. Really I haven't used it enough to say everything though.

A few thoughts:
    - Apparent build quality is great, far exceeds other Olympus cameras I've had, with lots of attention put into details. However, I find this a negative. It seems to emphasize "feel in hand" over "quality in use." The battery compartment door has a nice solid thunk to it, but it comes open fairly easily to the point the battery has already come out unintentionally several times. Also, the metal body is far more susceptible to scratches than the old composite bodies of 4/3 DSLR's. All in all the build is more "object of desire" than "object of practicality".
    - Sensor is great. It's like using my E-410, but with a 3-stop ND applied selectively and proportionally to the bright parts of the image. Plus, it has less noise in the shadows at the same time. Blue isn't quite the same as it used to be.
    - Focusing could use some improvement. The EVF goes dark for a long time after you hit the shutter release, to the point that any moving object in the EVF will likely be well out by the time you can see again. This is compounded to the fact that selecting automatic image review when using the EVF only displays the image there, rather than on the screen. This compounds the delay. Also, it has a very difficult time focusing correctly in any mode on, for example, a bird flying overhead. In other words, I unrecommend the camera for birds in flight with any lens; even an ancient E-410 is better for anything moving quickly. For static subjects it works like I expect it should.
    - The menus are deep even for an experienced Olympus user. However this is not a problem in use after a few days.
    - Apparently one of the dials on top is for the thumb, which took me a while to figure out since the dials can only be configured in opposing directions.
    - Tilting screen is possibly the least useful implementation of a tilting screen possible, it is not able to turn around for self portraits, flip vertically, etc.
    - Focusing my 50-200-original lens is acceptable for static subjects, it takes a similar amount of time but is more reliable than, say, the 50mm macro on my E-410. Haven't tried the others yet, but I may keep the 50-200mm around after all, despite the weight.
    -Could definitely use ISO 100 or preferably 50. Or 1/8000s shutter speed. Really, both. At ISO 50 you could start to get decent star trails (which says something about the sensor), while 1/8000s is good for using the fast lenses to freeze action (the last is not relevent for my uses, but many available lenses are far faster than the camera's ability to handle them).

I reckon I'm keeping it, but for the target audience, especially Kgosden, I'd recommend waiting until the EVF after-shot lag and focus on moving objects surpass the E-5, also until the ISO and shutter speed add a few stops of versatility.

Raven,

Thanks for your input. I would probably rent one before I bought. Now that my wife has a couple of lenses I can borrow I could rent the body for 1-2 weeks. Meanwhile I am waiting to see what rumors about an E7 come into being this month. I would stick with the size and weight of a DSLR if I could get that E-M5 sensor. That said I am not ready to put the E5 to sleep if it is going to cost me $1500 for a new body.

A couple examples of shots only possible with a 3-stop ND before, or simply not possible.

Name:  P8300072s.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  P9070292s.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  190.0 KB