Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

My SONY did EAA AirVenture 2012

In an ongoing attempt to try and capture some superior aerial action, I went to the annual EAA Fly-in at Oshkosh, WI on Saturday, which is basically the "big" airshow. I got a lot more sun than I bargained for... "OUCH!!!" and the incredible burn that goes with it. Regardless, I stood my ground, camera at the ready and took nearly 1500 images, to capture "the spirit" of the show.

Anyway... as usual, the SONY a850 was up to the task, but as I have found out, when using the SONY 70-400 on it, that lens is just devastating to the battery life of the camera. I quickly abandoned the highly-touted SONY lens for the more miserly TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 LD

Name:  200-500.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  38.4 KB

Again, this 19-inch long lens (when fully extended and the lens shield is attached) is a rather nimble-to-handle 42-ounces (12-ounces less than the SONY 70-400) and a heck of a lot easily to manipulate when tracking aircraft and birds. I am darn glad I have kept it and have not retired it.

Anyway... the images:

Name:  B-26-Bombs-Away.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  294.4 KB

Name:  F-18-TO-w-afterburner.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  683.0 KB

Name:  Gyro-copter.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  471.4 KB

Name:  icy-duplicity.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  341.1 KB

Name:  japanesse-attack.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  458.6 KB

Name:  nuke-test.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  193.2 KB

Name:  P-40-Tora.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  350.6 KB

My "watercolor" interpretation of the "Zero-Attack"

Name:  Zero-attack.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  516.1 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi