Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Fisheye for EOS 5D MK2

Hello everyone,

I was wondering, which fisheye lenses people tend to use with FF cameras? I'm not feeling prepared to spend $1,500 for the Canon EF 8-15 f/4L as I'm not entirely sure how much use I will be able to find for such a lens. So I though that for starters I'd go with something cheaper, such as the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 which I have seen some quite positive reviews about. However, these cheaper lenses seem to be made for cameras with smaller sensors, meaning I would end up with a black circle around my picture on a FF camera (hope I'm not mistaken here). If anyone could give me a tip for a good lens which wouldn't have this issue and would be for reasonable price, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

I just recently purchased the 8-15, it's a nice lens but it's pricey, and like you said it's not even close to an everyday lens. The 8-15 will leave you with a black circle at 8mm and will fill the frame at about 14mm. The Canon 15mm fishy used to be the fishy of choice, and I believe it covers the full frame of a full frame camera.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I believe there is a Samyang 14mm lens as well. Not sure if it's a fisheye though...
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by faisal View Post
    I believe there is a Samyang 14mm lens as well. Not sure if it's a fisheye though...
    It's not a fish eye. It does have a lot of barrel distortion though
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr