Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error 99

Question Error 99

I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, and whether Canon will readily replace the cameras that are problematic. Is there perhaps a setting which is causing this error?

I haven't bought the camera yet. Am trying to choose between the Rebel, Sony F828, Powershot Pro. Photography is a hobby for me, but I do need to blow up my prints to a maximum size of A1.

although it can get costly the nice thing about the rebel is the ability to change the lens to your needs. if you want a really big zoom for wildlife pics you can just find a lens and go with it. with the sony you will be stuck with the lens on the camera, although a good lens you may decide you need more at some point.

Here in the US the price for the sony is about $500 and the rebel is about $650.

Also because the sony uses a lower quality consumer point and shoot stile ccd the noise is horrible and if you plan on blowing up images you will get very bad lookiing grain. the Digital Rebel has a professional series sensor that does not have nearly the same amount of noise in the photos when blown up.

I would recomend the canon onver the sony but I would also recomend learning how the manual settings work so that you can really take full advantage of the camera, also I have discovered that it is not really that much harder to carry my canon 20D than it was to carry my digital elf.

good luck on the decision.

also the prices I quoted were from http://royalcamera.com i have never done business with them and do not know how good of a company they are so I would recomend research before you purchase anything.

[QUOTE=Ilana]I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, QUOTE]

I believe Error 99 is when the rebel or Canon D-SLR rejects a certain lens you mount on it. Most ppl get this b/c they mount an incompatible lens, or an old lens w/o a modern chip.

Corect me if im wrong.

Hope this helps

~LoveOfSelene
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. - Ansel Adams

Canon 20D & Film Ti II Body (Virtical Grip for both bodies) + Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 (for sale) + Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L + Canon 70-200 F/4L + Canon 50mm F/1.4 + Canon 85mm F/1.8 + 420ex Speedlite

Not updated on a regular basis... www.binhsphotography.com

ODU 2010!

you are correct.

I only got it once when the rubber from the lens ring had worked itself off.
    I've owned the rebel since the day it came out and knock on wood, havent had a single problem.

I get the same image quality as the 10d and tricked it out so I have all the functions of the 10d

Question Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I am still slightly concerned that 6.3 million pixels will soon be obsolete, but I think it's the best choice for now. I wish I could afford the new Canon 20D! So, do you think that the Rebel will allow me to blow up my pictures to A1 size? The local digi-printing lab in Cape Town assures me it should be ok, but would like other opinions.

Thanks, cheers!

I always get my images printed at 8.5x12 so I think A1 shouldn't be too big of a problem.

The key to remember is bump your pixels up to 300dpi and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jay
    you are correct.

I only got it once when the rubber from the lens ring had worked itself off.
    I've owned the rebel since the day it came out and knock on wood, havent had a single problem.

I get the same image quality as the 10d and tricked it out so I have all the functions of the 10d
    Hi Jay,

How did you manage to trick the 300 into behaving like a 10? Firmware? If so, where can I get this upgrade? Any compatibility problems?

Quote Originally Posted by meng-chieh
    Hi Jay,

How did you manage to trick the 300 into behaving like a 10? Firmware? If so, where can I get this upgrade? Any compatibility problems?
    Whoa, I never heard of that before. That would be cool tho...on the other hand ur'll loose your warrenty for it won't u?

~LoveOfSelene
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. - Ansel Adams

Canon 20D & Film Ti II Body (Virtical Grip for both bodies) + Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 (for sale) + Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L + Canon 70-200 F/4L + Canon 50mm F/1.4 + Canon 85mm F/1.8 + 420ex Speedlite

Not updated on a regular basis... www.binhsphotography.com

ODU 2010!

It will NOT void you're warranty!!!

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html

simple process

lizmoody@charter.net Guest
    I've just recently started getting this message too. I use a canon zoom lens, and the regular wide angle, both lenses gives me this error. I called tech support and they had me remove lenses, remove cards and no matter what I still get the error. My next step is to mail off just the body to the camera support to have them look at it.

The only reason I'm posting my experience, is that after I started getting the message, I started doing research on the error and the only thing I've seen people say is oh, it's because it's a sigma lens, and canon won't support the problem with sigma lenses.

Both of my lenses are indeed canon. I take great care of my camera-oh and I've only had it for 3 months..