Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help crafting a collage for a funeral?

Hi everyone. I have a question and I’m not sure if it belongs in this category or not but it is definitely a technique. Unfortunately, my father in law passed away over the weekend from a heart attack so all this is kind of sudden. What we really want to do for him is create a collage with a bunch (maybe 50 or so) of photos with/of him that are either digital or will be scanned and we want to print this out onto a poster sized print at 3 foot by 2 foot to display at his viewing. I don't want it to look thrown together like I just pasted a bunch of pictures into a document in Photoshop which is what I was considering. I was wondering if anyone has any experience (or even just some good ideas) in making a really good looking collage with perhaps some lettering in the middle with his name and the dates and perhaps a bible verse or something else similarly appropriate. I don't know of any blending techniques that can be done to make this look as fluid as possible. I didn't know if there was any software programs that might make things easy and do it for you (wishful thinking) because the viewing is Sunday (20th) so I need to have it done by then. Printing isn't the hard part I can just run up to work and print it out on our w6400. I really appreciate any help in this matter as we go through this difficult time. Thanks.

::EDIT:: I got to looking around for software that does collages and i haven't seen anything that's automatic enough to make it worth my while. Everything i've found thus far still has me arrange everything and is giving me similar results to pasting in photoshop with a background and drop shadow. I wanted something nicer than that.
    Last edited by BonjiB; 08-18-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Something cool I came across a while ago is called the "Life Poster."

http://www.mikematas.com/2005/01/how...fe-poster.html

I think that uses iPhoto though so if you don't own that or know someone that does. . .

Here is a photoshop version
    http://www.waywardpuppy.com/archives...photoshop.html

I'll have to work on something later for you if you want to see what I can come up with as far as blending the name and some text together like you had originally thought, I have an idea or two. Let me know if you still are interested in this advice and I'll post something for you. . .
    Last edited by aparmley; 08-21-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Thank you for your thoughts. Well the event has already come and gone. What i wound up doing was very simple. I took a photograph of a sunset that i had taken on vacation to the beach this year (appropriate i thought) and interpolated it up to 36x24 inches at 600 dpi , sharpened it, and i duplicated that layer. Then between the background layer and the duplicate layer i sandwiched all the photo's i wanted to use. Then i use the elipse tool with a 100 pixel or so feather to "cut holes" in the top layer over the photos thus revealing the images underneath with a nice smooth feather to make the photos blend into the background. The sun was in the middle of the photo and on top of it i had "in loving memory of (new line) Name (new line) (dates of birth and death). And i curved the top and bottom lines a hair so it all sorta wrapped around the sun in the sunset. I then just used standard blending options to make the text stand out and look nice (bevel and emboss etc). All in all it looked VERY nice and the family was very well pleased. I didn't crowd the background to the point where you couldn't tell it was a sunset anymore. I also chose pictures from every era of his life to illustrate his entire life in one collage. the final image wound up being a 2.3 gig PSD and a 950 meg TIFF When i pull my laptop out tommorrow i'll resize it and make it web viewable so you can see exactly what i'm talking about. The effect was very nice and simple, yet elegant. It did take me about 10 hours to do it all though. Scanning in and editing 80 pictures is time consuming. MOST of the photo's required retouching. Many had scratches or tears, MOST had yellowing or other color distortions. The collage only had about 25 or so i think in it but the rest were used in a slideshow that was played on an lcd screen during his viewing and will be provided to all the family upon request. It was important to me to restore every photo fully because i did include the original files on the dvd slideshow so everyone who recieved one could perhaps print those pictures they wanted to have or frame or whatever the case may be. I'd still like to hear your ideas as i'm so pleased with this collage i'd be interested in perhaps doing some more in the future. Especially for some of the weddings i'll be assisting shortly. I feel it would be a very niec thing indeed to tell the story of a wedding in a collage of this nature (perhaps using a sunrise as the background instead of a sunset.) Anyways, he will be missed but we all understand that this is a time for a new season and change is often hard but everything's going to be ok. Thanks a lot for your help and concern.
    Last edited by BonjiB; 08-21-2006 at 09:35 PM.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

Collage

Hello, I am also looking for an alternative look for my fathers collage, instead of just pasting pictures on a board. Your idea sounds awesome, is it possible for you to send me a picture of how yours turned out in order to get an idea, if your willing to share. Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Nani

Quote Originally Posted by ladykepola View Post
    Hello, I am also looking for an alternative look for my fathers collage, instead of just pasting pictures on a board. Your idea sounds awesome, is it possible for you to send me a picture of how yours turned out in order to get an idea, if your willing to share. Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Nani
    This is an old thread from 2006. You aren't likely to get an answer from the original poster.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB