Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Laptop requirements for photographers?

Hello, all,

I'm an enthusiastic amateur photographer (I use a Canon G12 and a Lumix FX47) who enjoys doing a certain amount of post-processing before printing images--I also like seeing my images on my computer. Currently I have a four-year-old Dell with a 15" screen, and it's decent. I just bought a new laptop, though (a Toshiba 17"), hoping to have an even crisper image, and was shocked to see that I could see the individual squares making up the screen--and looking far coarser than the picture on my old laptop. I know that for really high-end photo viewing and processing a desktop is better, but surely there's a laptop out there that doesn't look worse than one I got four years ago.

So my question is, what technical specs are necessary to get a laptop that shows decent images? (Or are there no rules, and should I just browse some models in stores?)

Thanks!

With the possible exception of some Macs, there really are not any laptop displays optimized for photography. If you are serious about editing there are a lot of discussions on good monitors in Shutterbug Magazine in the Digital Q&A column. The best low end deal is a specific Dell UltraSharp with a very wide color gamut.