Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Canon Powershot S5 IS - USB Video Transfer Problem

Greetings everyone! I've arrived here because I have a recurring problem with my Canon PowerShot S5 IS. Overall, the camera works well and does what it is supposed to do - except for this one problem with transferring data that really has me miffed.

As this camera has some nice video capability, I use it to take footage of various concerts, as well as videos of myself jamming on the guitar as a quick way to record what I have on my mind at any given moment. All videos are shot on the highest quality, and my memory card is a PNY 8GB SD HC. The primary computer to which I am transferring data utilizes a USB 2.0 port, on a AMD chip, MSI motherboard, 2 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of storage space, running Windows XP Professional.

The problem here is that large continuous clips don't want to transfer over the USB cable to my computer. I haven't pinpointed the exact size where this problem starts to occur, but it has happened on three ocassions now. If my memory serves, all files which fail to transfer are over 10 minutes in length, or roughly 1.25 GB+ in size.

Oddly, I can view the videos fine on the camera's own LCD display, but I cannot view them remotely on my desktop, nor transfer them to my desktop through My Computer. The transfer window pops up, but the progress bar doesn't move and after a minute or so it gives up and the file shows up on my computer 0 bytes in size and of course will not render when played.

When using the integrated Microsoft Camera wizard to transfer the files, a window pops up stating that the file cannot be copied and I can "Try Again" (to no avail) or "Skip", and the detailed error information at the end states "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation."

To note, I have over 300 GB free hard drive space, and I even deleted all the other data off the camera's flash memory card (except for the two large videos I want to transfer), thinking that maybe there needed to be some temp space to aid the transfer. At the moment, the two files I want to transfer take up 3.5 GB of the available 8GB on the PNY memory card... so there's certainly enough temp space on the camera as well as my desktop drive.

That leaves me to speculate that there may be a problem with my RAM or the USB interface itself? I've tried this on three different computers now and it just won't go. If I am unable to get the pictures off of the camera via the USB connection, do you have any other suggestions or recommendations for retrieving these files?

Thanks!

It might save you a lot of headache to just pick up a $6 external card reader. I had the same problem sometimes with my S3 if I tried to transfer directly from the camera. I've never had the problem with my card reader.

This sounds complicate and it can be your computer as well. I'd use a card reader as Griptape already suggested but do make sure the one you are buying can handle your memory card capacity of 8GB.

Personally, I'd limit the footage to shorter sequences.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Exclamation

Limit the footage?
    You've got to be kidding me!

One of the primary reasons I bought this camera is to sneek into concert venues (not to mention the bedroom ) to take extended footage with reasonable sound and video quality, disguised in a package that looks like any ol' digital camera. If it wasn't for the ability to shoot continuous 1 hour sequences, I probably wouldn't have bought this baby!

So as you can see, limiting the footage just isn't in the cards for me.

It is also unlikely the problem is with my computer, as I tried it on two other computers with the same negative result.

On the upside, I took the other suggestions to heart and bought a Dynex 5-in-1 Memory Card Reader/Writer model # DX-CR501 ($20), and it worked flawlessly with my high capacity 8GB Secure Digital card.

I sure wish the camera itself would be better equipped to handle the transfers its supposed to handle, but c'est la vie - this is a solution and I now have access to my video for editing and proper viewing.

Thank you griptape an' tim!

You should be fine with the Card reader now....

But you Should Also be able to Click on My Computer & see your Camera as a Removable Disk (e) or whatever then Click it and Hit Copy or Move File.....

I've found that some front USB ports have quality problem. The first thing I would do is to try connecting the cable to the rear USB ports.

I have a good quality case here where one of the front USB ports doesn't work part of the time (even with a card reader.) The other front USB port works just fine. I know of others on the Internet that have experienced the same problem.

I've also seen printers interfere with USB transfers. If you have a USB printer then try turning it off when performing the transfer.

One other point...if you're having trouble with the camera cable then you will likely have trouble with a card reader as well. That's the last thing I would try.

good luck!
    ________
    VAPORIZER REVIEW
    Last edited by Graystar; 03-11-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Exclamation

As I noted previously, I have attempted the transfer on three different computers. I have also used two different USB cables, on front-side USB ports as well as USB ports built directly into my motherboard, on computers with printers and without printers. I also noted that I attempted both to transfer the files through "My Computer" (as recently suggested by SublimeJason), in addition to using Microsoft's integrated Camera/Scanner file transfer wizard that pops up as soon as the connected camera is turned on. None of which worked for the files larger than 1.25 GB, even though the rest of the relatively small images and videos transferred fine.

Given griptape's report (first reply to this thread) that his S3 encountered similar problems, and the fact that an independent card reader works fine, I am inclined to believe that this is a problem with the Canon PowerShot S5 IS (and apparently also the S3 IS) itself. It's a little disappointing that it seems Canon has failed to fix this problem across at least two generations of its otherwise classy PowerShot S IS super zoom camera. But as there is a way around it, and the camera is pretty inexpensive given its capabilities, I am still marginally satisfied with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by geothrills View Post
    As I noted previously, I have attempted the transfer on three different computers. I have also used two different USB cables, on front-side USB ports as well as USB ports built directly into my motherboard, on computers with printers and without printers. I also noted that I attempted both to transfer the files through "My Computer" (as recently suggested by SublimeJason), in addition to using Microsoft's integrated Camera/Scanner file transfer wizard that pops up as soon as the connected camera is turned on. None of which worked for the files larger than 1.25 GB, even though the rest of the relatively small images and videos transferred fine.

Given griptape's report (first reply to this thread) that his S3 encountered similar problems, and the fact that an independent card reader works fine, I am inclined to believe that this is a problem with the Canon PowerShot S5 IS (and apparently also the S3 IS) itself. It's a little disappointing that it seems Canon has failed to fix this problem across at least two generations of its otherwise classy PowerShot S IS super zoom camera. But as there is a way around it, and the camera is pretty inexpensive given its capabilities, I am still marginally satisfied with my purchase.

More likely it is the card which I'm guessing is the SDHC variety. Known hardware incompatibilities which are noormally easily solved with a compatible card reader as you have apparently discovered.

My few-year old desktop requires a SDHC compatible reader despite having a built-in 4-slot unit.

My newish laptop reads the card directly...
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

I see what you're saying, and unfortunately I don't have a large enough standard SD card to test the theory. What confuses me is why all the data on my SDHC card that was less than 1.25GB/file transferred fine. It was only the large files which would fail to transfer at all. One of the reasons I got the S5 IS over the S3 IS is that it stated compatability with the SDHC cards. I suppose "partial compatability" might have been a more accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by geothrills View Post
    One of the reasons I got the S5 IS over the S3 IS is that it stated compatability with the SDHC cards. I suppose "partial compatability" might have been a more accurate statement.

The S3 works fine with SDHC as noted on Jeff's revised review, and confirmed in practice in mine. It was undocumented previously.

Still, don't blame the camera (unless it is actually defective).
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/