Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Perigee

Perigee

Okay.. if you have it, post it! Cinco de Mayo Moon @ perigee

The Moon is "smokin' bright!"

Name:  _DSC5233-Cinco-de-Mayo-Moon-at-perigee-2048.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  1.27 MB

EXIF stuff: AstroVision using the SONY a850 w/ 2032mm f/10 NEXSTAR 8 lens @ ISO-800 and using some Adobe PS enhancement for contrast improvement. "Yes. Virginia, there is a... Moon."

Minimum focus distance is 29-ft, but with the moon at about 1/4-million miles away, I'm feeling pretty safe. This rig is about 25 lbs of fun, let me tell ya.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-06-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Nice moon shot Don. How do you like the Calumet gimbal?

The Calumet gimbal definitely does the "heavy" lifting among my tripods. It locks tightly and swings freely through all the axis rotations, keeping the weight nicely centered as it moves.
    I have it on my heaviest aluminum base legs, alleviating most tipping issues, still tethering the tripod to a stake, is probably the best idea for safe usage.

Hope that helps.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don. As I have recently been adding some big telephoto lenses I have started to feel the need to buy a gimbal head. Not sure if my current tripod is quite heavy duty enough, but I can change that if needed.

Whatever you do, never assume the tripod can handle the heavier weight, until you are absolutely sure it is rated... and not close to the max, either.
    No "I-was-just-testing-it" excuses, ether. If just one leg goes... the whole shooting match is earthward-bound... "T-I-M-B-E-R!" It is not a pretty picture.
    Also, it is far more rare to have an instantaneous collapse when you mount the camera and lens. It usually is a progressive failure and you stand there,
    fifteen-feet away, helpless, as you watch your $$$ and equipment reduced to scrap, as the rig goes over and you are left holding the release.

The cost of a tripod failure with a large lens is... well... costly! Your gear requires more respect, otherwise... dig deep, again. Muahahahahahaha
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Weight capacity is not a huge problem with my current gear. Including a 2-3 lb gimbal head I would only be mounting about 10 lbs on the legs. My current Manfrotto is right at the border for that setup. But I bought that for travel when I generally use wide angle lenses. If I go for a real wildlife rig I will have to buck up and haul a heftier tripod around.