Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

D800- Fantastic Camera, Horrible AF

I picked up my D800 this last Wednesday. I thought I would be more excited about getting it, but the mood was dampened by the out-roar of people complaining about the left focus points issues. I did some very extensive tests and my fears were confirmed. My left AF points with both PDAF and CDAF were off.
    I fine tuned my lenses to no avail. Needless to say, the camera is amazing and coming from the D700 it is a nice upgrade, but in the end, I don't want to be a guinea pig for Nikon while they sort out this mess. I returned the camera and will wait a few months or more until this is sorted out. In the mean time, the D700 is a great camera and I can count on it being spot on every time with proper technique.

Chris
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossphotography/

My motto is never be the first to buy, give it a while for teething issues to be ironed out (exploding batteries anyone). I'm sorry it didn't work out of the box for you.

For what it's worth you still can't even get a D800 over here.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I've returned mine as well, I didn't have any left point AF issues, but it would feel hesitant to lock focus. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it would grab focus quickly and then sort of stutter before finally locking. This was even more noticeable in low light.

I'm waiting for new stock to arrive, but might just get some new glass and stick with the D700. We'll see
    My Savior, My Leader, My Father and My Shepard.
    I praise thee Lord All Mighty

D700/Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8/Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8/Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO/ Nikkor 50mm 1.8