Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

3 days, 24 hours of reading, watching and... still nothing :(

Hi

aghr... I'm tired but let's talk about this quickly.

I'm tech guy, I love tech, I like reading about parameters for every electronics what I'm buying. My last camera was Canon S3, it was perfect for me but now I have no time in life, so I want compact camera, also my girls will use this new camera sometimes (no way before that she didnt press wrong button on S3 before she taked a photo).

I will make some videos, but if it's 720 or 1080 doesn't matter for me as it won't be VGA resolution.
    Price is not an issue. But mirrorless ILC will be bigger for me. I won't need GPS at all.

My first candidates was S100 and LX5 because I want 1/1.7" sensor to have a better low level pictures than traditional compact camera.
    Then, S100 very low battery life, flash power is nothing extra and it's slow when focusing.
    So LX5, but, little too much buttons (coz other people from my family will use it, I can predict they will press or touch the buttons on it's lens by mistake, but not a big deal), it has the removable cap (bleh), its little bigger so not a compact camera in fact, but 400 shots for 1 battery, fast focusing, nice..
    But some trustworthy review web pages wrote that it's a good camera, some wrote that S100 is better than LX5, I spend full 2 days deciding about this.

Because I was desperate about this, I moved to the small compact cameras, so Lumix TZ25 (ZS15) (at least I know it's better than TZ30/ZS20) and Powershot 260. Powershot 260 looks like nothing especially good, old 230 should be better choice but 230 doesn't have HD video. So from this probably TZ25/ZS15. But again some sites wrote it's good camera (maybe a compact camera of 2012), some sites and reviews wrote it's really mid quality.. oh yes and bad in low light, but as for all panasonics focusing is fast and the auto mode is good.

But then.. it should has bad low light performance, also some test video from a concert with LX5 and some 1/2.33" sensor camera on youtube... and I'm back with S100 and LX5. And then the cap and size on LX5, and not always excelent review, then battery and slow focusing on S100.
    On one site LX5 is better, on next site S100 is king... And I'm reading it over and over for 3 days now.

So... anyone can help me? Best will be if someone, who has at least few weeks experience with all these cameras?

many thanks ..

Duplicated post see below......
    Last edited by XMB; 04-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.

You want a one box solution for all round family photography? Well just pick up a Panasonic FZ150 bridge camera! The lens will cover all eventualities, it has all the modes you need with good video. Press the iA button and anyone can take a photo!

Stop worring about low light capabilities, there are always problems in low light! Just get an external flash with bounce head and stick it on the FZ150 when you want really nice indoor shots. As these tend to be more at home, you will always have access to it, so it is no problem to put the flash on and bounce it off the ceiling for nice even lighting, that does not look like a flash has been used.

The FZ150 may not fit in a pocket but will fit in a small camera bag and you won't notice it even after carrying it all day.

If you demand a little more from your images then get the G3 with the X Vario PZ 14-42mm lens but don't forget that external flash! (I suggest the Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1.)

Peter K, I have no advice just to commiserate. I have been what you went thru and probably even longer. The only difference is that I'm not a techy and I hate reading manuals. It started with the plan to get the S100, but it has only 5x zoom. Then the long process of reading reviews and asking for advice and learning about the interchageable once and the bridge type etc.. I'm still in the process of deciding between the ZS15 or FZ150. I feel for you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Hi

aghr... I'm tired but let's talk about this quickly.

I'm tech guy, I love tech, I like reading about parameters for every electronics what I'm buying. My last camera was Canon S3, it was perfect for me but now I have no time in life, so I want compact camera, also my girls will use this new camera sometimes (no way before that she didnt press wrong button on S3 before she taked a photo).

I will make some videos, but if it's 720 or 1080 doesn't matter for me as it won't be VGA resolution.
    Price is not an issue. But mirrorless ILC will be bigger for me. I won't need GPS at all.

My first candidates was S100 and LX5 because I want 1/1.7" sensor to have a better low level pictures than traditional compact camera.
    Then, S100 very low battery life, flash power is nothing extra and it's slow when focusing.
    So LX5, but, little too much buttons (coz other people from my family will use it, I can predict they will press or touch the buttons on it's lens by mistake, but not a big deal), it has the removable cap (bleh), its little bigger so not a compact camera in fact, but 400 shots for 1 battery, fast focusing, nice..
    But some trustworthy review web pages wrote that it's a good camera, some wrote that S100 is better than LX5, I spend full 2 days deciding about this.

Because I was desperate about this, I moved to the small compact cameras, so Lumix TZ25 (ZS15) (at least I know it's better than TZ30/ZS20) and Powershot 260. Powershot 260 looks like nothing especially good, old 230 should be better choice but 230 doesn't have HD video. So from this probably TZ25/ZS15. But again some sites wrote it's good camera (maybe a compact camera of 2012), some sites and reviews wrote it's really mid quality.. oh yes and bad in low light, but as for all panasonics focusing is fast and the auto mode is good.

But then.. it should has bad low light performance, also some test video from a concert with LX5 and some 1/2.33" sensor camera on youtube... and I'm back with S100 and LX5. And then the cap and size on LX5, and not always excelent review, then battery and slow focusing on S100.
    On one site LX5 is better, on next site S100 is king... And I'm reading it over and over for 3 days now.

So... anyone can help me? Best will be if someone, who has at least few weeks experience with all these cameras?

many thanks ..
    As a prior owner of the lx3, i would have liked to try the lx5 but I lived with that horrendous lens cap for 2 years and hated it with a passion so i really never seriously considered it as an alternative. You will be splitting hairs on iq between the lx5 and s100. The s100 is truly portable and pocketable, the lx5 is not. I've been very impressed with the iq even in low light.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

You might want to have a look at the Olympus XZ-1 as well. It is a pretty good rival for the others that you mention and has a very nice f1.8 lens which should be good for low light shooting. A friend of mine has just bought one for his daughter and she's over the moon with it. He's so impressed he's considering another for himself.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Since the video is so poor on the ZX-1 it would be out of the running for most.

If you can accept a larger size look at the Sony NEX 3 or Panasonic GF3, especially the X version as the X Vario PZ 14-42mm compact zoom is a real space saver.

Lucky people who come to shop and buy a camera because it's pink...

And do you know what is nice? After days/weeks of reading and comparing, in 6 months there will be S105 and LX7
    Last edited by PeterK; 04-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.