Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Quick question regarding Minolta glass and sony camera

So I'm looking at buying a A330, now this comes with the 18-55mm SAM lens. Can I use my older 70-300mm AF lens that I have been using on my Minolta Maxum 3xi? I've read that there is an AF motor inside the lens but can i still used older glass?

Nick F

Yes!
    _____

Of course!

As an example, I can use all of my Minolta lenses including. 28-85mm and 50mm F17 with my camera (a A390). And any lens you put on will have stabilization, thanks to the in-camera Steadyshot.

Quote Originally Posted by aafuss View Post
    Re: Quick question regarding Minolta glass and sony camera
    As an example, I can use all of my Minolta lenses including. 28-85mm and 50mm F17 with my camera (a A390). And any lens you put on will have stabilization, thanks to the in-camera Steadyshot.
    Noob question, but is the Steadyshot unique only to Sony? Might be a good consideration when I decide to upgrad my camera soon

sony uses a floating sensor..others use a floating lens to steady the shot

It has nothing to do with "lenses made for film". Minolta made rectilinear 17, 20, 21 and 24mm lenses for film cameras so extreme wide angle was readily available.

Your 28-105mm is Ok but the best (FF) walkabout is the remarkable 28-135mm which holds up against the best modern competition.

If you're talking about APS-C cameras, then it's a different story and FF lenses for wide angle are no longer wide; you have to turn to a modern DT lens for a solution in that case or, better still, get a FF camera.