Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardinal Nest

Well, by Saturday evening they had feathers that looked like feathers and not just quills. They were very active all morning. The one in the back of this shot (whiter breast) seems a bit more developed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I only caught one passable shot of them opening their wings. It was cloudy today and shutter speeds were low.

Both parents came by the nest more often today, but stayed much shorter periods. The female spent more time there per visit. She seemed to be poking and prodding them to get moving.

The camera shut off around 6pm. I didn't restart it as it was getting too dark to get a photo that wasn't a total blur. About 6:30 we noticed there was only one chick left in the nest. Checking outside there was no sign of it on the ground. About 8pm the second one left. I was outside at the time listening to the parents and trying to figure out where the first chick was calling from as I could hear it squeaking away. Hopefully we will see them near our feeders in the next few days bothering the parents.

Good luck you two it is probably as scary and interesting outside the nest as you are thinking.

Boy they developed quickly I've only been off line for a few days. Leaving the nest already, hope the wide world is kind to them.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I think I saw one of the chicks in the side yard yesterday. Cardinals typically fledge in 9-12 days so they were right on the money. It is amazing that they get flying within 24 hours of their wing feathers unfurling.

Kg any news? did they fly off or are they still around?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phill,

I have not seen them since a day or two after they fledged. But we have so many cardinals they could still be in the area.