Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you are concerned about camera size, you can be sure that you won't lug around a FZ150. Accept that now and move on in your choices. You won't carry around a camera that size very often.

In order to use a smaller camera that doesn't have as good high ISO performance you'll need to go into manual mode, adjust the ISO, and learn how to get the most from your camera. If low light is a prime concern, you'll have to give up on the big zoom. Big zoom lenses require smaller sensors to keep size reasonable, and that means giving up good high ISO performance. In addition to the LX3, consider the Canon S95 or S100.

If money is an issue and size is an issue stick with what you have already.

The Canon S100 weighs 200g (98.9 x 59.9 x 26.7 mm), about the same as the ZS15. The LX3 weighs about 100g more and is about the same size (108.7x59.5x27.1) of the others, so you only gain a little more zoom and will have parted with a whole lot of additional money!

As I said before the FZ150 (or FZ48 if more cost sensitive) is as easy to use as most compacts and light enough to carry around all day. The only thing you need to do is keep it in its own bag (case) so you can keep it separate from all your other cultter. Yes, it is another thing to carry but as an all in one solution for photo and video in most conditions it is a good family choice to supplement a small cheap handbag camera (or possibly a good smart phone camera).

I did consider the S100 till I realize the zoom may not be enough to reach the stage of typical school performances. Which is the main reason I thought of having a new cam. Hence I have narrowed it down to the ZS15 and just opening my mind to the FZ150. Thanks for sharing your input.

I just looked at Jeffs comments on image quality for those two Panasonic cameras and to me they look pretty much identical. The only advantages the FZ150 has is it's longer zoom and the ability to shoot in RAW mode. RAW needs to be worked on in photoshop or similar to get the best out of it so if you don't want to go post processing it's no advantage. To me it comes down to a straight choice between extra zoom and an electronic viewfinder vs pocketability. No point in having extra long zoom if you've left the camera at home. Plus I'd say that a x16 zoom is pretty spectacular anyway and I'm sure you'd end up using a lot less most of the time.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Wow Phil D that's great! I mean I'm sold on the ZS15 then! Dilemma ends. The only reason why I am considering it is because I'm presuming that the quality would be so much better than just a compact cam. I don't care for RAW mode as I don't even know what it is for nor can I much editing. I'm even struggling so much with Photoshop that all I can use is Picasa. Sure the zoom is so much more but if I end up leaving it more at home it'll be such a waste.

Basically I would be using this zoom for stage performances in school (which doesn't really come often), nevertheless we don't want to miss it. Presuming that I would be able to sit on the 1st two rows then maybe I'd estimate it to be about 6 meters. I'd give an allowance of say 10 meters presuming that I won't be that lucky to seat in front. Would 16x suffice to take good pic to develop a 5R size photo?

Do you have an opinion on SX240 as compared with ZS15 in terms of image quality?

Thank you so much for taking time to check it out as I don't know really much about analyzing the photos in detail. It's so much appreciated.
    Last edited by wanderintraveler; 04-14-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Sorry only just seen your reply. To be honest I don't have any real experience with either camera. I was only going on what Jeff said in his reviews and by looking at his comparison shots. I don't think you will go far wrong with either camera if you recognise their limitations and I'd have thought 5R shots would be fine from both. It's probably time to try them out in a local shop to see which you like the best. If you take a card with you you may find they will let you take some representative shots with both cameras then you could print them out and see for yourself.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

It's alright. I still do appreciate that you took time to reply. Unfortunately those 2 models are not yet available in this country and so I have to wait. While doing so, I am on the look out for more reviews. Since it's fairly new there seems to be not much to compare. There are some who rave about it while others are saying that the older models seems better. One 'expert' could say that the ZS15 is better while another may say otherwise. Most comparisons are also of the ZS20 and not the ZS15 that I am eyeing on. There are also some criticisms about the SX260 (I'm using this as a basis for the SX240 as there are not much reviews for this but seems to have the same specs except for GPS) video when played. They mention something about a high pitch tone when it's played. Hope there will be more information in time as we wait here for the new models to come out of the market.

The FZ150 has other benifts over the TZ20 in the lens is faster across the range and the tilt screen means you can hold the camera above your head. The accessory shoe allows you to attach an external flash which, when used with a flash gun that allows you to bounce the flash off a ceiling, will improve your indoor shots no end. It will also prepare you to move up to a compact system camera (CSC), such as the Panasonic G3, when you are ready to step up to the next level.

Pocket size cameras are all well and good to capture spur of the moments events but if you want the best images for those special moments then putting up with a bigger camera is essential.