Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

minolta lens on sony NEX3?

Hi guys I have my old Minolta Maxxum STsi camera and 2 pairs of good lenses... but its time for me to go digital... so I think i could save some money if i use my lenses and just buy a new digital body that works with them. I dont really need something professional and expensive.. so I'm think of getting Sony α (alpha) NEX-3 14.2 MP. I want to be able to make videos with my camera and thats why I chose this model( NEX5 is even better for HD videos but its a lot more expensive). So my question is.. will my Minolta lenses fir the NEX 3 or do i need adapter.. if i do what kind would it be.. there is 3 kinds:
    1) M42 Lens to Sony E mount
    2) Minolta MD MC lens to Sony E-Mount
    3) Minolta AF MA lens adapter ring to Sony Alpha
    I would guess i need the 3rd one, the MA adapter
    If you know any other not very expensive model that makes video recordings and fits my lenses i would appreciate if you share thank you ))

It would have been nice if you listed your lenses but I'm assuming they are all Minolta AF A-Mount. In which case, what you need is the Sony LA-EA1 mount adapter. It is expensive and there is no autofocus but you do get proper metering.

You can buy cheap MA to E adapters on eBay but they will give you neither AF or metering.

Next up is the fiendishly expensive Sony LA-EA2 mount adapter which gives both metering and Autofocus. Unfortunately, this adapter only works with the NEX-5 and up AFAIK.

Thanks a lot.... well here is what i can find on the lenses: promaster aspherical 140531

Promaster distribute accessories in the main so I expect the lenses are rebadged from one of the Manufacturers; beyond that, I'm in the dark.

Try here.

get a dslr instead..the nex is a pain