Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
    Nick, congrats on new toy. i was toying with the idea but after having invested many Ks into my high end system i cannot explain to my wife why i need a camera like this. :-(
    bloody darn good DSLR but Canon went out of their mind appointing a price tag over 3k euros for Europe, i hoped it would be some 2.5K max but... so i took mint 1Dmk3 instead, not FF but crop factor small compared to 1.6..... of course i will miss new gimmicks but may be next year i add FF to my collection. :-)))

love photos, post more results. seems in camera HDR is not so bad after all? do you think Canon HDR + PP can replace GND?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
    Nick, thanks for posting Nikon vs Canon video....... Had some loud laughs and emailed to my friends. But seriously it looks Canon finally pulled a champion camera, high on my list if i decide to upgrade in future. Seems IQ, ISO, Ai and AF just superb, i am not sure if i can understand why Nikon praised for deeper color while in photos i can hardly distnguish. So post more your experience and photos and happy shooting.

Again LOL rewatching that video.
    Thanks! It is a pricy little bugger that is for sure! For someone like me who doesn't rely on his camera to put food on the table it is a luxury item for sure. My wife was pretty supportive about it though. We just had our first little rug rat 6 months ago so I think she was a little more receptive towards spending some coin on camera equipment.

About the HDR, it has it's limitations so a GND is still a useful tool. Take this shot for example, with the wind blowing the grass around the camera starts making all sorts of artifacts. (not that a GND would help this shot, but you get the idea)

_Y3C9391 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

I guess one could spend some time in photoshop cleaning it all up but I don't have the patience (or skill) for that. I'd rather get it in camera anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto View Post
    Nicely done Nick. I shot an event with a borrowed 1D X last week - which operationally is now quite similar to the 5D Mark III. I concur the flexibility in customisation is a big drawcard.

1D X is now shipping in numbers here in Aus as of this week (my dealer called me today to see if I wanted one), for now though I think I'll grab the 5D Mark III - as it's now very much a 'mini 1D' and is half the price. I need a camera for the weekend, and I sold my Mark II a while ago. Time to buy.

One little gripe I have is with the AF system - I really miss having the ability to select only the outer ring of nine AF points tied to the rear wheel. It's so much faster then the multi-controller.

Also, I think I would find more use for a true ISO 50 than 25,600 - but that's just me.
    Awesome, any problems with the "dark AF points" I can't say it's really affected me. That seems to be the only universal issue people are complaining about.

I enjoy the video mode too. This was taken in some really horrible light. ISO 25 600 or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2NokinG9I

Few other recent shots...

_Y3C8623 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

_Y3C8641 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

The evil little bugger likes to wake up at 4 am

_Y3C8960 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

But you can't stay mad at him...

_Y3C9023 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

Maybe a little overcooked but I like it....

_Y3C8093 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Hi Nick, congrats on the little one, hope everything is going great for you!
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo View Post
    Hi Nick, congrats on the little one, hope everything is going great for you!
    Hey thanks! Things are going well.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

A few recent ones from me...

I did a photo booth at a wedding. I put the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (it's designed for a crop camera) on the 5D and got this cool vignette effect.

IMG_0691 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

I set up in a high traffic area. I like the chaotic results.

Recently did a photo shoot for the local police...

Police portrait by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

wedding portrait...

laurajpresized-2351 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

laurajpresized-2281 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

Just a fun shoot.

joe by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Nice review Nick. Have just placed an order on one so will be interesting to see how it is different from the 50D. Problem is now I will have to invest in some more lenses to cover for the EF-S lenses that I have.

Your shots with the 85 f/1.8 interest me so maybe I will have to "find" one of them in the near future (without the Wife noticing)

picked up a 5D3 yesterday - it's great I love it.

Congrats Rasidel. Great thread Nick, loving your family shots.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    Nice review Nick. Have just placed an order on one so will be interesting to see how it is different from the 50D. Problem is now I will have to invest in some more lenses to cover for the EF-S lenses that I have.

Your shots with the 85 f/1.8 interest me so maybe I will have to "find" one of them in the near future (without the Wife noticing)
    Nice I'd love to hear how you are liking it!... I have the same problem replacing my EF-S lenses too. I just sold my 50D and am working on selling off my EF-S stuff. I thought at first I'd keep both cameras and use the 50D as a second body but I found I never really wanted to go to it after shooting with the 5D. I really like the 85mm 1.8. You just have to be aware of colour fringing on reflective serfaces when shooting wide open. It's a nice small snapy lens though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasidel Slika View Post
    picked up a 5D3 yesterday - it's great I love it.
    Awesome! It seems like the perfect camera for your type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Congrats Rasidel. Great thread Nick, loving your family shots.
    Thanks mate!
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Nice I'd love to hear how you are liking it!... I have the same problem replacing my EF-S lenses too. I just sold my 50D and am working on selling off my EF-S stuff. I thought at first I'd keep both cameras and use the 50D as a second body but I found I never really wanted to go to it after shooting with the 5D. I really like the 85mm 1.8. You just have to be aware of colour fringing on reflective serfaces when shooting wide open. It's a nice small snapy lens though.
    Picked it up yesterday so haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with it as yet. Did find one really nice feature that I already like. The ability to save different focus points depending upon Landscape or Portrait orientation

At this stage I plan on keeping the 50D and EF-S lenses as I'm hoping the Wife will begin to take an interest.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
    Picked it up yesterday so haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with it as yet. Did find one really nice feature that I already like. The ability to save different focus points depending upon Landscape or Portrait orientation

At this stage I plan on keeping the 50D and EF-S lenses as I'm hoping the Wife will begin to take an interest.
    Cool! Have fun!
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0