Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
Nick, congrats on new toy. i was toying with the idea but after having invested many Ks into my high end system i cannot explain to my wife why i need a camera like this. :-(
bloody darn good DSLR but Canon went out of their mind appointing a price tag over 3k euros for Europe, i hoped it would be some 2.5K max but... so i took mint 1Dmk3 instead, not FF but crop factor small compared to 1.6..... of course i will miss new gimmicks but may be next year i add FF to my collection. :-)))

love photos, post more results. seems in camera HDR is not so bad after all? do you think Canon HDR + PP can replace GND?
Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
Nick, thanks for posting Nikon vs Canon video....... Had some loud laughs and emailed to my friends. But seriously it looks Canon finally pulled a champion camera, high on my list if i decide to upgrade in future. Seems IQ, ISO, Ai and AF just superb, i am not sure if i can understand why Nikon praised for deeper color while in photos i can hardly distnguish. So post more your experience and photos and happy shooting.

Again LOL rewatching that video.
Thanks! It is a pricy little bugger that is for sure! For someone like me who doesn't rely on his camera to put food on the table it is a luxury item for sure. My wife was pretty supportive about it though. We just had our first little rug rat 6 months ago so I think she was a little more receptive towards spending some coin on camera equipment.

About the HDR, it has it's limitations so a GND is still a useful tool. Take this shot for example, with the wind blowing the grass around the camera starts making all sorts of artifacts. (not that a GND would help this shot, but you get the idea)

_Y3C9391 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

I guess one could spend some time in photoshop cleaning it all up but I don't have the patience (or skill) for that. I'd rather get it in camera anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto View Post
Nicely done Nick. I shot an event with a borrowed 1D X last week - which operationally is now quite similar to the 5D Mark III. I concur the flexibility in customisation is a big drawcard.

1D X is now shipping in numbers here in Aus as of this week (my dealer called me today to see if I wanted one), for now though I think I'll grab the 5D Mark III - as it's now very much a 'mini 1D' and is half the price. I need a camera for the weekend, and I sold my Mark II a while ago. Time to buy.

One little gripe I have is with the AF system - I really miss having the ability to select only the outer ring of nine AF points tied to the rear wheel. It's so much faster then the multi-controller.

Also, I think I would find more use for a true ISO 50 than 25,600 - but that's just me.
Awesome, any problems with the "dark AF points" I can't say it's really affected me. That seems to be the only universal issue people are complaining about.

I enjoy the video mode too. This was taken in some really horrible light. ISO 25 600 or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2NokinG9I

Few other recent shots...

_Y3C8623 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

_Y3C8641 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

The evil little bugger likes to wake up at 4 am

_Y3C8960 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

But you can't stay mad at him...

_Y3C9023 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr

Maybe a little overcooked but I like it....

_Y3C8093 by brownrigg.nick, on Flickr