Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Okay I'll bomb the thread with the rest of my photo's.

I'm happy with only 4 photos from the day despite trying my damnedest, this is not an easy hobby. Thank you Les for giving me the opportunity to have a go.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

No worries DPR, I think a good time was had by all! It's interesting to see how shooting the same scene from a different angle can completely change the look of the shot. In this respect I particularly like #2 and #9 of the latest set you posted.

On a slightly different (but related) tack, I did a mini-shoot today for a front-of-house head and shoulders shot for a cast member in a play. I decided to use my SB-600 and SB-700 as remotes, with the built-in flash as commander (but not firing). To my annoyance (and embarrassment) the SB-700 worked perfectly, but I just could not get the SB-600 to fire. It would work when fired manually, but not as a slave. It wasn't until I got home and re-read the manual that I remembered that before putting the SB-600 away after its last use, I had reset it to its default settings. And of course the default setting for the wireless function is......OFF. Oh well, another one of life's little learning experiences...
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff oh, and some Canon p&s's too

There are some good shots there, are you two open for some lighting tips, critiques?
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    There are some good shots there, are you two open for some lighting tips, critiques?
    Yep, fire away! Just remember we were in a private house, not a studio, and our lighting consisted of a softbox and a silvered umbrella, powered by a Nikon strobe in each.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
    Yep, fire away! Just remember we were in a private house, not a studio, and our lighting consisted of a softbox and a silvered umbrella, powered by a Nikon strobe in each.
    Fair enough. Alot can be done with just two Nikon Flashes though! However, in the picture below, it looks like you had a softbox, and two umbrellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
    Anyway, from most of the images, as was mentioned by one of you, I think it was Sir Les, the images look underexposed. I think thats from the flashes being under utilized or mispositioned. I think if the backdrop/wall had been lit up, it wouldve made a big difference also. In a lot of DPR's images, you see a lot of flash shadows, some things that can cause this are not lighting the backdrop/wall, light source too close to subject and flash power too hot, or any combination of the above.

DPR, in your last post, the image with the woman standing next to the instrument, with her hand on her hip, image #1, this one has harsh flash shadows, this is also because the subject was standing too close to the backdrop/wall, if she had been a few feet farther out, the shadows wouldve fallen off more behind her and wouldnt have been noticed as much. Also, in this image, it looks as if shes floating, like she isnt standing on the floor, I dont know if its something you did in post or what, but it just looks very unnatural and fake and really stands out in a negative way. With that said, I really do like the last one you posted with her holding the rose in front of her face. The eyes are well lit, the cheeks and face have great dramatic light, the fall off on it is great. I like it.

Lighting is the hardest thing to learn, atleast I think it is anyway, but it also gives you the ability to be very creative with your shots, keep doing what youre doing... and thats having a great time with friends and taking fun pictures, and please keep sharing them with us!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Fair enough. Alot can be done with just two Nikon Flashes though! However, in the picture below, it looks like you had a softbox, and two umbrellas.
    Yes, we had two umbrellas, but if you look really carefully you'll see there's no strobe attached to the one by the door! Actually, you're quite right -- we did have three strobes (SB-900, SB-600 x 2) -- I'd forgotten about that third one, which we mostly used to backlight the subject, particularly for the shots with the tuba.

Thanks for the feedback Jason, it's appreciated. I think the only thing that will improve our technique is lots of practice, plus writing down what we did, settings, etc., for future reference. It all seems so easy when reading books or watching videos, but it's a totally different thing when you have a live model waiting on your every move. However, when you pull off that super shot, it's really rewarding!

Thanks for the honest & useful critique and taking the time to post it.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

This is one of the best threads I have read here. Experimentation and posting the images, and then a critique.

Being mainly a natural light shooter (a bit easier), I've learned a lot from just this brief dialog.

Thanks guys.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/