Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SONY cuts off the a900

As of March 1st, nothing was formally announced, but you will not find the SONY a900 on their website.

Not only that, they do not have a Full Frame replacement available, yet. This is eerily similar to what happened with the a700 and the unhappiness that "discontinuation" caused, back then. I guess marketing never learns, in that part of the world. Personally, I find it unnerving, to be cut off like that.

I just wanted to mention it, to those who own these cameras.

The flagship has sunk!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

am sure there will be an a99 soon enuf.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Canon announced the 5D MkIII, today

So, both Canon and Nikon launch their FF cameras, for this round, within weeks of one another. It's March Madness, I tell ya.

Anyway... here come the London Olympics.

Name:  londonolympics2012.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  319.7 KB

Long glass is all you need... the FF bodies are here... except... Where's the SONY?

When you step back and look at it, Canon has stepped up and provided SONY's "replacement" and "alternative" for the a900, on the very same day, with the EOS 5D Mk III. That's "cross-pollination" if ever I saw it.

Man, this is not what I would have expected. Also, I have been hearing from some unhappy campers with regard to the a77. It still seems to lack the low-light sensitivity of the other manufacturers, specifically the Nikon. I guess all that complaining we did had little to no effect. Whatever SONY has up its respective sleeve better be one-heck of a "night-light." Oh well, it is not like we kept quiet. SONY can shoulder this continued failure, the users are just the victims. Again, Wedding Photographers have no incentive to make the migration to the SONY-system, since the no-flash rule is still in effect in many churches (or elsewhere) and somewhat "noiseless ISO-1600" is not just enough.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-02-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

I almost hate to say it, but your comments impliedly confirm what Rooz has been saying for quite some time ... Sony is interested in the mass consumer market, not the pro consumer market. Why invest the time and money to improve the low light sensitivity and quality of the sensors when the majority of the mass consumer photography market will rarely be shooting in low light without FLASH.

It's kind of like asking why KIA isn't manufacturing high end luxury cars.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Sony knows exactly who it's market is and they're doing a great job catering to that very market.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

It only makes sense sony will still focus on prosumer photographers or else why release a $13,000 500mm f/4 G? Sony has something up they're sleeve and is going to hit us with a BANG! Although there is a lot of rumors about an a99 SLT FF camera, i still feel in my gut we will see a new FF DSLR, possibly an a950?
    Flickr

Sony a560 w/ B50AM Vertical Grip
    Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG APO

Prices... and specifications

Well, looking at what Canon wants for the new EOS 5D Mk III (body-only) is $3500.00

Nikon wants $3300 for the D800E

Based on that kind of market-price, I figure the SONY a99 coming in at around $2900-$3000 mark, but after seeing the a77 delivered at $1400, back in January... I figure it'll be double, like the a900 was back in 2007, compared to the a700.

Personally, I suspect it would be sheer lunacy not to produce an equally powerful ISO camera, at this higher-end price range, otherwise it is a total surrender and a non-compete. These kids, now-a-days, are not going to spring for the a99, if it does not at least MATCH-UP and compete. Vicariously observing, they have no investment to move them into the SONY market... unless SONY wants them in.

Let's face reality, here... $3000 is still a "serious" piece of change, if you can take the same crappy ISO 24.2 MP image with a camera for half the price. The image quality and low-light sensitivity simply has to be better than it was with the a850/a900 DSLR and it is confusing to think otherwise. With Canon and Nikon dropping their cameras into the market, now, SONY is completely free to release the a99/a950 specifications to the public and halt the apparent migration to the other two manufacturers, in anticipation of the upcoming FF camera, whatever kind they release. The sudden market movement is where this will fall apart.

I suspect a reasonable company would want to get people talking, since Nikon and Canon have finally provided an anchor-point to their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Erad View Post
    It only makes sense sony will still focus on prosumer photographers or else why release a $13,000 500mm f/4 G? Sony has something up they're sleeve and is going to hit us with a BANG! Although there is a lot of rumors about an a99 SLT FF camera, i still feel in my gut we will see a new FF DSLR, possibly an a950?
    Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    It's kind of like asking why KIA isn't manufacturing high end luxury cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    Sony knows exactly who it's market is and they're doing a great job catering to that very market.
    Erad has made a stunningly good point... with the introduction and release of the $13000 500mm f/4 G SSM and the $1300 CZ 24mm f/2... those sound like a couple of "luxury cars" to moi.. and well-outside the limited reach of parent-funded, pimple-faced, high-schoolers grabbing up the "Rooz-touted" low-end equipment. I mean, excuse me, mate... but, what market is this? Call me "short-sighted," but I just do not see a $13000 500mm f/4 on the front of a NEX7... via a $250 LA-EA2 E-mount/A-mount autofocusing adapter. As if...

Contemplating all this is a mess.

Although, I still am of the belief that having a "menu-controlled IF/RF-equipped remote flash triggering" camera body would put SONY ahead of anything out there, but they're not listening. The odd-part is the amount of effort they put into the WPPI Conference, last week, only to wind up being the "odd-man-out," because of an ISO-issue?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.

flickr & Sdi

i didn't say they wouldn't offer ANYTHING to the high end, im simply saying its not now, nor has it ever been, never will it ever be a high priority to them. the a99 will come and the a99 will go and it will be great for the Don's of this world but sony has been in the game for long enuf now to stake their claim and their claim is clearly not for the pro or high end market. you can point to 1 or 2 cursory factors if you like, but i suggest you look at the whole offering. look at their marketing, look at their body lineup, look at how they treat the high end bodies, look at the turnaround times of the cheaper bodies and the direction they are taking, look at their sales and look at the people shooting sony's. what part of it says high end to you ?

i said it before and ill say it again, sony know what they're doing and they're doing it very well.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    flickr

And to extend Rooz's contention look at every other part of their marketing machine. Smoke and mirrors to make the common man think they're buying high end by paying just that little bit more.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Confidence...

SONY may have the reigns in the E-mount, but I feel confident in knowing that the Minolta never had plans of abandoning the Alpha-mount. What's going on at SONY Corporate seems to be leaving the users in a cross-cut... and a little reluctant to get raked in, again. The DSLR crowd is not the P&S crowd, no matter how many attempts SONY makes to put the two together. Buy 'em all if you want, you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

I continue to argue this point... and time and again, my contention is borne out. The mirror-less APS-C NEX is its own market, not the DSLR market. I suppose you could be forced to make due with the EVF-type camera, if it was all you had... but, my friend, it is not. The Optical-Viewfinder camera is a legitimate market and continues to request an upgrade, so that they may continue to use the prized glass they have in their current bag at the tradition focal length...not some cropped thing. If someone wants to invest in mini-E-mount glass, more power to them. Personally, I'm not interested. Just give up the improved-ISO FF DSLR and we can fight on another day.

flickr & Sdi