Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    radio controlled flash is inevitable. it will come to all bodies eventually in some way shape of form. i believe the mkIII has some capability in that area right now if i read correctly. nice to have sure. essential ? no. besides which, most strobists prefer to use an aftermarket alternatives cos they can buy cheaper flashes. what's radio controlled flash gonna do if the body is able and the flash is not ? so guess what, you get charged $600 a pop for the latest and greatest flashgun to be compatible with radio controlled body. nice little earner that one !....i'll stick to my cybersyncs thanks.

its just another thing you like to complain about. and its such a minute tiny thing in the grand scheme of things.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Replaceable sensor

@Rooz...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    ... you like to complain about...
    I have to ask, what is with the "like to complain about" statement? If we had it, then there would be a method to the idea of a complaint. The fact is: It's not even there to complain about. Yes, I complain about the IR-fallibility. It creates the need for a reliability solution, but not pursuing the solution is just plain silly. So many strobe users are finding the same errant results, so it has become a forefront issue across ALL manufacturers.

There really is no reason that SONY could not develop an adapter for the existing IR flash units, that would slide onto the hot shoe fitting and provide all the RF control signals necessary to operate the electronic off-shoe flashes and strobes seamlessly. This is the "no-brainer" in the entire scheme of things. They have everything already in place! All the TTL and ratio control signals you have learned to love make their way error-free to the existing SONY HVL flashes you have in your bag of tricks. Of course, any new flash units would offer RF compatibility and to maintain downward compatibility... a hot shoe RF-adapter, on the legacy cameras, could be added and get the same result. For the SONY-system, it really is the ONLY way forward to improvement.

Over the past six years, since the a900/a850 body was designed, its impressive ergonomic design basically has not had any reason to change much. The dynamic internals are the problem. If you could slide these "internals" out and upgrade them as the technology goes forward, the need to create another shell around it would be eliminated. I took the following shots at the WPPI Trade Show, last week. It strikes me as a little weird to have a skeletonized-body on display and discontinue it the very next week.

Let's face it, the sensor size remains the same. The optical distance between the rear element of the lens and the sensor remains the same. You even use the same method of fitting all your lenses to the camera body. Below is the magnesium shell used in this design.

Name:  _DSC4111(sm).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  555.3 KB

Name:  _DSC4112(sm).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  516.2 KB

There is nothing "plasticky" about these babies. In fact, they are so solid, the SD WiFI card cannot transmit or receive inside of it. An antenna system could be added, w/o much issue and they should be designed to be reused (the "green" ideal). The real beauty of that concept is that you would continue to use the very same ergonomic process, instead of hunting through your "new" camera body, whenever you wanted to make various setting adjustments.

Something constructed like this is not going to fall apart for decades, unless you "bounce it." The only points of real change are the internals and the mirror-box. Cripes, you can look at cameras from the 70's and they look incredibly similar.

It's not a complaint... it is process refinement... unless you are against recycling. C'mon, mate... step up and accept the fact that some people have various ideas in approach. This forum was, if I am not mistaken, intended to be a place of discussion, mutual assistance in refining our photography and ways to "get 'er done." We all have our "focal points" of controversy and instead of mocking those interested in promoting substantive improvement, I suggest that some members cultivate a more ambitious and supportive role.

Hop to it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    This forum was, if I am not mistaken, intended to be a place of discussion.
    And when have I suggested it was otherwise ? Discussion does not always equal agreement and or consensus.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I love mine..