Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Flash questions

Flash questions

I've been thinking of a flash that doesn't pop up. Here are my priorities in order:
    1. small
    2. highly functional. I don't know what this means, but presumably it means (to me) advanced wireless shooting functions with minimal hassle
    3. given the above, inexpensive
    4. flash power

Olympus has a new flash out that appears equivalent to the FL-36R, but smaller and heavier (more batteries). Is there any reason the FL-36R would be preferable to the new FL600R (or whatever it is)?

Is there a way to get just as much or more function for less money? I seem to remember some sort of flash trigger that also served as a remote shutter release, which sounds nice. This could then be used with any third party flash, of which there are many.

Assume I know nothing whatsoever about the topic.

I've got the FL 36R but I rarely use it I'm afraid so can't advise much. Have only used it on auto but when I have it's been fine. It's wireless but my camera isn't so can't try out the wireless functions. As for the FL600R I thought it was about as powerful as the 36 with more batteries so recycle times should be shorter, it has a built in video light as well and I thought I read somewhere it is supposed to weatherproof but I can't find confirmation of that now. Metz also do compatible flashes that I looked at when I was considering buying mine. I think they do one that has more power than the FL36R but at a similar price. Can't remember what the model was now though but I just decided in the end to stick with Oly.
    Last edited by Phill D; 02-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I guess I'm in the same boat, all else being equal it looks like the Oly model has more of the random functionality. I think it wouldn't get used too often, so it would be more of a long term investment. I can think of about ten situations in a year where I would think of using the flash far enough in advance to have it available.

I must admit I do not use my FL36R very often either. I find this makes it even harder to use effectively since the menu selections are not really very intuitive on the flash. I use it mostly for holiday party snap shots and occasionally for close-up work with it off camera, but cabled. It would be nice to have the extra batteries to speed the recycle time. I wonder if the LED light on the FL600R is useful for macro work?

I think I got the weatherproof bit wrong I think it's the small add on flash that goes with the EM-5 I was thinking about.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I wonder if that EM-5 flash is compatible with my E5? It might be more useful than the built-in flash even if it is the same power. The added height would probably clear my 12-60 lens hood. And I could put it on the remote cable to have a small close up unit.

I just saw a flash compatibility table browsing DPreview, and the little flash is not compatible with the E-5.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...en_flashes.cfm