Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, I'm pretty sure that Jason won't think I'm suggesting he is a P&S merchant.

I was simply pointing out that Sony's intended market was the P&S upgrader, a Sony exec said as much in an interview although I can't now remember his name. That NEX would generate such interest from the AAs and Pros was a surprise.

Given that, it will take time for Sony to flesh out a system and even than I can't see NEX as a "System" in the true sense. In terms of IQ and portability, the NEX is a great tool but at longer focal lengths it makes less sense and a body with more "heft" is desirable.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "Especially (in this case) if size, wide angle, and/or autofocus are important."

Regarding size, this advantage is lost once you go beyond "normal" lengths; for instance the E18-200mm at (75 x99mm) is bigger than the A-mount 18-200mm DT (73 x 85mm) so you can't exactly stick it in your pocket. At shorter lengths, size clearly becomes an useful advantage but all is not rosy when you get to the wide end where the short registration distance makes it harder to design a lens with decent borders; that can be seen with the 16mm. Even so, a range of small primes up to about 60mm or even 80mm will be of interest to AAs and Pros, I think.

Autofocus, is it that important at the moment? With the NEX focus aids I'm confident that I can aquire focus quickly enough with my MF Rokkors so they will suffice for me right now. That may change when the boffins crack on-sensor PDAF which may not be all that far away.

The lenses are hurting the NEX, but the recently leaked roadmap shows promise. The NEX-7 is pretty easily the best mirrorless body on the market, but if you want autofocus, the lenses still aren't fully there.

I've been shooting a lot more with micro 4/3. I do use a Nikon adapter which works very well, but the m4/3 glass is good. I have the Panasonic 20 f/1.7 which is great.

At this point I'm thinking about just keeping my 5D, and using a cheaper m4/3 for a while, rather than trying to replace the 5D with an OM-D or NEX-7. I think the OM-D and Olympus system could totally replace my Canon kit, but I'm still uneasy about it for some reason.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Jason, I think you're right that the NEX-7 is the best body and yes, you're correct that the lenses aren't there. It's crying out for small primes between 24/60mm. Sony got caught with their pants down again; they totally failed to predict that the camera would appeal as much to the Advanced Amateur and Pro market as to a P&S upgrader which is where they targetted the first of the NEX.

The thing is, if you don't mind manual focus, there's a whole bunch of cheap lenses out there. As a hoarder, I already have a good selection of old Rokkors so I am well served.

The thing is, the cameras (I include the A77) have a whole bunch of stuff, Peaking, focus magnify, WYSIWYG EVF, Uni WB with creative B&W (no more green), to help in nailing exposure and critical focus. Manual focus is as quick as the CDAF provided on the NEX; well, I think so.

Here are a couple of images taken with my ancient Rokkors

Available light portrait.
    A77 * Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 * 1/60th * ISO100

Poppy's favourite pastime.
    A77 * Rokkor 21mm F/2.8 * 1/100th * ISO400 * Diffused Flash
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 02-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Those are delightful. They have all the sharpness and pop that we all love with great lenses.

I am using my Nikon lenses (I have a pretty good 35, 50, and 105 set) with the Pen with great results. Sadly with the Pen or even the larger sensor NEX 7 they are all a little on the long side, so one needs at least one or two good wider primes. Luckily the NEX has the 24mm, and I have a 20mm for the pen (40mm equiv) that does very well.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thanks Jason,
    I wouldn't rule out those Nikors on the NEX. The 35 and 50 will work well IMO.

For portrait work on the NEX/77, my preference is for the 58mm f/1.4 MC Rokkor-PF. BTW way, the lens is a first gen Rokkor from the late 60s, can't remember the exact date but I used it on my SR-1. Anyway it's an 87mm equivalent on the NEX/77 and that gives you decent working room and perspective and maintains a good bokeh.

For the second image above, unusually, I used my 21mm Rokkor and the increased DOF of the wide angle really shows. I need to do some PP in the top left to improve the image.

Anyway, IMO, your 35mm and 50mm Nikors will do Ok in terms of focal length, however, a proper (and cheaper) MF lens will do a better job. It all depends on whether AF is a requirement; the Zeiss 24mm looks good but I have the 21mm MC W.Rokkor-NL and doubt I will ever use an AF prime on the NEX.

My Nikkors are proper MF lenses, thankfully. So, so smooth.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

In which case the NEX-7 + 16mm is worth a pop, I'd say.