Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEX 7 or E-M5 as main kit?

First off, hi Don, Frank, Peek and the others from when I was here more a few years ago.

I don't really have a forum "home" and since this NEX-7 is one of two big parts of this question, I figured I'd throw it in front of you guys.

Sony has caught up on high ISO, one of my main complaints when I moved to the 40D.

The glass has always been great, but they have filled in some of the prime holes. Like most companies crop still lacks wide primes at < f2 and < $1000, but the new E-Mount 24mm gives at least an option at 35mm equiv.

My 5D is incredible. The pictures are great, it's easy to use. But I miss some things that newer cameras have. In body IS (not on NEX), sensor cleaning (aahhrrrggg!), live view for tripod use, and video. I also have an SD reader on almost every computer I touch.

So I'm considering selling the 5D for either the NEX-7 or the new Oly OM-D E-M5. I ended up with a GF-3 (Panasonics tiny m43) and liked the format a lot. The camera is aimed at compact camera users, so the controls stink, but the images and portability are great. I have the 20mm f1.7, which is a great range and a nice sharp lens. Before this I probably wouldn't have considered mirrorless. The last time I looked it was the slow AF of the E-P1 and the lack of controls on the NEX-3 and NEX-5. All were pretty poor low light performers also.

The Olympus is smaller and cheaper (body and lenses) but the NEX has a bigger sensor (and incredible high ISO).

Any thoughts? Has anyone here done something like replace an A700 or A900 with a NEX-7? How usable is the E-Mount to A-Mount converter?
    Last edited by laydros; 02-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Hi Jason, good to hear from you again.

I'm not sure I can be a lot of help in your decision making process, though. The OM holds no interest for me, the 2x crop makes for wider DOF and wide angles lenses are that much longer. The IBIS is good though, I wish Sony had put that back into NEX-7.

I ordered a NEX-7 last year but the Thai floods put a hold on it and I'm still waiting to hear. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the NEX-7 has incredible high ISO though, it won't quite match your EOS 5D, I think. It's seems pretty good up to 1600 and if you use the mutiframe noise reduction, well that does seem rather incredible but only for static subjects.

Both Sony A/E adapters work well and of course loads of other MF adapters for most lenses.

You didn't mention the A77; it's one heck of a camera I have to say.

Full Frame...

The Canon 5D is Fuill Frame... and the α77 is not. Neither is the NEX 7. If you are in some kind of big hurry... then you get what you get, but if you can wait... not all that long, the a99 might be in play.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Much as I admire the Sony sensor and most of the NEX cameras, in my opinion the lenses aren't there. Mostly they are far larger than the NEX cameras or m4/3 lenses, and there are not many high quality or large aperture lenses. I just saw Sony's lens roadmap through the end of 2013 and wasn't impressed. If you don't mind the size of adapted A-mount lenses, or will be adapting other lenses from other mounts, the NEX might be the best choice though.

Reviewing the new sensor

I got a chance to look at some reviews of the Nikon D800, due out in a couple weeks. This sensor is the very one that SONY produced and will be implementing, themselves. One word for this 36MP monster... "WOW!" Full Frame is not looking back.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes and no don. As we have seen its one thing to produce it another thing to make it work. As evidenced in the past shared sensor experiences.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz, there's no mileage in that one.
    I presume you refer to the A900/D3x sensor. It's true that Nikon manage to extract more from the sensor than does Sony (1.4EV DR and 1/3rd of a stop in iso) but at what cost?
    Sony wasn't aiming at the same market.
    If you compare a consumer camera, A580/D7000; there's no difference.

Raven15, depends on your POV; I think the P&S upgrader, which was Sony's target market, is faily well served.

Sony was taken by surprise with adoption by the advanced amateur (even pros) and if you look at it from their POV you're probably right.

From my POV, it's all good. I have a slew of old Rokkor lenses which will get good use on the NEX/A77 even up to an 800mm RF. Thank you Sony!!

BTW raven, if you really wanted to push the boat out, how about Zeiss ZM lenses on the NEX.
    I reckon Zeiss could do well to offer E-mount versions so there was no need for an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Rooz, there's no mileage in that one.
    I presume you refer to the A900/D3x sensor. It's true that Nikon manage to extract more from the sensor than does Sony (1.4EV DR and 1/3rd of a stop in iso) but at what cost?
    And the d300/a700.

I don't think it had anything to do with market. It had to do with Sony not extracting the best from the sensor cos they didn't know how or couldn't be bothered. That's not so much a criticism as an observation. I suspect if Nikon started making tvs it may take them a while to get the hang of it.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Raven15, depends on your POV; I think the P&S upgrader, which was Sony's target market, is faily well served.

Sony was taken by surprise with adoption by the advanced amateur (even pros) and if you look at it from their POV you're probably right.

From my POV, it's all good. I have a slew of old Rokkor lenses which will get good use on the NEX/A77 even up to an 800mm RF. Thank you Sony!!
    P&S upgrader is probably a poor description of Laydros. Really, anyone who doesn't get past a kit zoom or two would not have much reason to choose one camera system over another, so the camera body would be more important than lenses. Once it gets to three lenses, though, lens selection starts to make a difference. Especially (in this case) if size, wide angle, and/or autofocus are important.