Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

NEX 7 or E-M5 as main kit?

First off, hi Don, Frank, Peek and the others from when I was here more a few years ago.

I don't really have a forum "home" and since this NEX-7 is one of two big parts of this question, I figured I'd throw it in front of you guys.

Sony has caught up on high ISO, one of my main complaints when I moved to the 40D.

The glass has always been great, but they have filled in some of the prime holes. Like most companies crop still lacks wide primes at < f2 and < $1000, but the new E-Mount 24mm gives at least an option at 35mm equiv.

My 5D is incredible. The pictures are great, it's easy to use. But I miss some things that newer cameras have. In body IS (not on NEX), sensor cleaning (aahhrrrggg!), live view for tripod use, and video. I also have an SD reader on almost every computer I touch.

So I'm considering selling the 5D for either the NEX-7 or the new Oly OM-D E-M5. I ended up with a GF-3 (Panasonics tiny m43) and liked the format a lot. The camera is aimed at compact camera users, so the controls stink, but the images and portability are great. I have the 20mm f1.7, which is a great range and a nice sharp lens. Before this I probably wouldn't have considered mirrorless. The last time I looked it was the slow AF of the E-P1 and the lack of controls on the NEX-3 and NEX-5. All were pretty poor low light performers also.

The Olympus is smaller and cheaper (body and lenses) but the NEX has a bigger sensor (and incredible high ISO).

Any thoughts? Has anyone here done something like replace an A700 or A900 with a NEX-7? How usable is the E-Mount to A-Mount converter?
    Last edited by laydros; 02-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr