Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New E-M5

Phil,

Hard to say on the sensor. It seems to me that Olympus has generally had better noise handling algorithms than Panasonic for the same sensor. Panasonic seemed to always be one up on the auto-focus speed until recently.

I had a brief play with an E-M5 at the Focus on Imaging exhibition on Sunday and I have to say it seemed a great little camera. Smaller than I'd expected it to be but very nice to handle with a substantial thumb grip on the back that for me made all the difference. The EVF was very bright and responsive. AF seemed really fast with the new 12-50 kit lens. That lens has some fancy zoom operation modes too. Not sure if these will be genuinely useful though. Rear lcd is very nice and clear, the guy on the stand gave us a really good demo of the art filters and their operation which seemed to be something that is so easy to do that most people would probably have a bit of fun with them at some time. The Oly guy also produced a 4/3's adaptor as well so I was able to try my PanLeica 14-150 on it and it seemed to work pretty well. AF was a bit slower than on a 4/3's camera and a lot slower than the kit lens but even in the not ideal light of the exhibition it did work OK. Overall I was impressed but just couldn't quite pursuade myself to part with all that cash even though the show offers were really good. Free two part grip, free case, free extra battery and a free grip strap a total of 450 of free extras. If they had thrown in the 4/3 adaptor instead of the case I'd have definitely given in and splashed out but as it was I didn't.
    Last edited by Phill D; 03-07-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phill,

I will have to check one out when they get to a store. I am interested in the EVF quality as that is the one thing i have not been able to use happily on superzooms.

It is good that your new lens (you finally got one huh?) works decently, partly because it's a big investment, but also because by reputation it is the best superzoom lens ever, by a wide margin. Do you feel that way about it too, by the way?

At this point I cannot justify an EM5. Maybe next year. I was only planning on getting a flash and some filters for the entire year, but then went and got an EPM1 as a small, inconspicuous travel camera. It is awesome, but pretty extravagant already, to me anyhow.

Raven the lens was a big investment for me but I got it secondhand for 500 which is less than half the new price so I just couldn't resist it. To be honest it's the best thing I've bought and never comes off the camera. I've not really done it justice yet but it seems to do everything pretty well and fits in with me being too lazy to change lenses. One thing I do notice is that as the E510 tends to blow highlights and the panleica lens is more contrasty than the kit lenses I have to be even more careful with the highlights. I tend to shoot at -0.3 most of the time now. I've just sold my E620 & 18-180 so broke even financially too. I can start saving for an EM5 now. From what I've seen the high iso looks awesome for an olympus camera.
    Last edited by Phill D; 03-10-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I was nearly ready to purchase a Canon 60d then the Olympus OMD was announced, and I am fairly certain its the ideal hiking camera for me. The quality of the photos look great, the body is compact and weather resistant. Just waiting to see the local price of the camera.