Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Change of kit - photography for me going downhill?

Hmm, so its been a while and I certainly feel photography has taken a nose dive for me (in terms of participation).
    This only hit home recently when I realised I take most of my pictures on my iphone 4s basically relegating the Panasonic LX3 to the drawer. So I sold
    the latter. I have just put the 24-70 on ebay. Big decision but realised I dont use it enough and could recoup most if not all of what I paid for it about
    18months ago.

Generally I just dont take pictures enough. I bought a flat last year and job responsibilities have caused me to generally get overly stressed out which
    leaves me knackered to do anything else. I have settled for a monotonous life! I go to work, come home, play on my ipad/ watch tv, go to bed. Weekends
    are generally left for resting....I am 30 years old FYI with no kids! Engaged to be married end of this year but no excuse to not take pictures! Also had
    health scare which has not gone away, again another excuse to retreat inside of myself. Anyway, this isnt a self help group - but what I mean to say is that
    my photography has been reduced to snaps on my iphone (albeit its a great camera) with very little drive to do anything more.

Selling the 24-70 and getting perhaps an ILC (Sony NEx-5N) and a sigma 85mm f1.4 as I think that should reignite my interest. I am also bored of london
    which means I lack inspiration. I lived in budapest for 9 months and that was a photographers dream!

So the point of this post apart from rambling is to say I am trying to come back into it, and look forward to participating more here again. Got anything to
    add? feel free, I would love to hear a success story or just hear from old friends!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

Hi Herc sorry to hear your photo enthusiasm has dropped it happens to most of us from time to time and it's odd the things that pick it up again. For me it's been the purchase of a pan/leica lens that I definitely can't do justice to yet so it's spurred me on to be a bit more thoughtful in what I shoot. Still get some rubbish shots though but one day I'll do my kit justice. I sympathise with feeling K*******d all the time I'm afraid it will get worse when you do move on to having kids. But the need and drive for a good photo recording system will increase ten fold so best to start now getting used to a new system. I'd suggest you looked at the newer ILC systems as they would be portable to suit your snappy lifestyle at the moment but would allow you to grow into quality shots as life changes. Not exactly a success story from me I'm afraid but maybe one day I'll get there.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

phil. i think we all get caught up in that sentiment sometimes. i have used the iphone alot for photos lately and love the freedom of it.

i would caution against a MILC in your frame of mind. i think like the lx3, (even more so), it is not truly a pocket camera so while you may have a honeymoon with it, its gonna end up in a drawer just like the lx3. i picked up an s100 and a wifi SD card recently and havent looked back. love editing on the ipad and uploading with no cords and no PC. while i wanted the x10 i knew it wasnt gonna fit what i needed which was a true pocket camera that goes with me everywhere. maybe what you need is something like the iphone offers but better at taking the pictures and for me the s100 fits that bill.

glad you're health is ok and was only a scare big fella !
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I know how you feel. I haven't advanced at all in years as I put my effort into my work and no effort into the photography though I still take a bunch of photos of the same sort of things I always take.

And worse still I just bought a digital photo frame, put all my photos on it and I realise I most like the snapshots (from before I got the SLR) as they're candid reminders of a phase that's moved on, wheras the SLR shots are just isolated subject shots.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I am a bit out of date with new compacts but I just looked up your s100 Rooz that looks like a good recommendation.
    DPR I know what you mean about those old snapshots I've done that too. It's definitely best to keep a compact as well as a dslr if you can.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

It took me a while to get up to speed on what are the current cameras! I think a lot of the latest magazines are all tailored to things that I would never do - like hire a studio, buy my own studio!

My dslr shots tend to be of landscapes or abstract images that do not inspire me as much anymore and remind me of times gone! Sounds all very depressing but the reality means that I am not enthusiastic about it anymore. Seems everyone goes through it. But it is a hobby, I just need to start making the effort again.
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    My dslr shots tend to be of landscapes or abstract images that do not inspire me as much anymore and remind me of times gone! Sounds all very depressing but the reality means that I am not enthusiastic about it anymore. Seems everyone goes through it. But it is a hobby, I just need to start making the effort again.
    For me, if someone were to give enough money to buy a few pro lenses, chances are I'd use that money for a vacation and take what I currently have with me. The main reason I have my dSLR is for indoor low-light situations.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Agreed. I think I would rather just travel light now instead of carrying pro lenses. The reality is that the pro lenses ARE SPECTACULAR, but for someone like me, I dont mind
    sharpening in PP or adding contrast rather than having it SOOC. If that means I dont break my back and bank
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    phil. i think we all get caught up in that sentiment sometimes. i have used the iphone alot for photos lately and love the freedom of it.

i would caution against a MILC in your frame of mind. i think like the lx3, (even more so), it is not truly a pocket camera so while you may have a honeymoon with it, its gonna end up in a drawer just like the lx3. i picked up an s100 and a wifi SD card recently and havent looked back. love editing on the ipad and uploading with no cords and no PC. while i wanted the x10 i knew it wasnt gonna fit what i needed which was a true pocket camera that goes with me everywhere. maybe what you need is something like the iphone offers but better at taking the pictures and for me the s100 fits that bill.

glad you're health is ok and was only a scare big fella !
    Rooz you are right about it being relegated to my drawer. I think I just want someone new to see if that sparks my interest again! Not the right way to motivate really!
    At the same time I am wondering if I could transition to an ILC and get rid of my bid DSLR. However, I know I can never get the quality I get from my D700 out of any
    CURRENT ILC, or the DOF I love from FF sensor
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

these are from the s100. essentially jpegs straight out of the camera.

Day 20 by .Chris.K, on Flickr

Wagyu beef burger by .Chris.K, on Flickr

Untitled by .Chris.K, on Flickr

this one is iso1000 f2 1/10s. it was basically freakin dark. again, no editing jpeg. try doing that with an lx3 and you get a mushy mess.

Opera bar by .Chris.K, on Flickr
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr