Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: a55 or a580?

a55 or a580?

I came across these two cameras on the sony website and they seem to be incredibly similar. Is it just the FPS?
    Does anyone own either the a55 or the a580? Or even both? Example images would be great!

Wanting to know which one to part 400 with.

a55 electronic viewfinder drives me nuts....it found a permanent home on my macro rig where i just use the live view

Yeah I'm very cautious about electronic viewfinders. I don't really see the point in them; what's wrong with using the human eye?
    Last edited by JackoWilliams; 01-21-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Stepping into it...

Jack,

You are really stepping into it with your question about EVF vs OVF. Many have a kindred spirit to the OVF camera. Unfortunately, it costs the manufacturer a goodly amount to build the "swingbox" for the flip-up mirror assembly and also makes the overall size of the camera body larger.

The EVF is light shooting with a P&S camera, on SONY has improved the image you see using one. Unfortunately, it still not quite "real time" and can make "shadow determination" a little rough.

That being said, the α580 is probably going have minimal support, in the near future, as it has been discontinued. SONY is definitely moving to the α35, α55, α65 & α77 style of APS-C camera. Is it what the camera community solely wants? Well, not this guy. I like my DSLR... and its little swing box. I also like the larger size camera, because some of us larger American-type have BIG HANDS and I like having something to hold on to when I mount the 70-400mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens.

One other consideration is that the α55 sensor tends to "overheat" when using the "movie" function with the stabilization set to "ON." That, unfortunately, shuts down the camera until the sensor thermally resets.

So, which one? Me... I would be an α580 shooter. Frank has seemed to enjoy using his and if you can still get one...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-21-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Couldn't agree with you more. My a230's grip gets on my nerves, especially when I've got a 75-300mm mounted on it.
    I love my SLR as well with its OVF and I would like it to stay that way. Unfortunately, Sony doesn't. I'm simply paraphrasing now haha

Does the a65 have the same problem with overheating? It's not entirely in my price bracket but I'll never disregard it.

Dipping My Toe in the Sony DSLR Forum...

Quote Originally Posted by JackoWilliams View Post
    Yeah I'm very cautious about electronic viewfinders. I don't really see the point in them; what's wrong with using the human eye?
    I've used both EVF and OVF-currently Canon 60d amongst other things because like Don I have big hands,500D previously,OVFs both and perfectly fine.

BUT prior to that I had a Panasonic Lumix FZ50 and before that a Sony predecessor the Konica Minolta Dimage A200 fine cameras both but with EVFs.This is when they were pretty low resolution and with all the faults Don refers to.However for me they did have one big advantage that I still miss today,namely that you see in real time the approximate exposure of the picture you are taking and I found that a huge help before my eventual move to DSLR.No,you didn't get the same clear view and sharpness as an OVF and they are problematical in low light but in many ways I still miss my EVF and were I looking for a new DSLR now ,which I'm not,the EVFs of the Sony SLT A65 or A77 which have a resolution of 2.4M dots and very good reviews would really tempt me .The resolution of the A55 is rather less but still good 1.44M dots a lot better than the two cameras I've mentioned.

If it was me an EVF would not in itself put me off,but if you are not sure you do need to give it a tryout before buying.

Hope that helps.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6

A word of advice...

On this forum, if you take the time to read through it (a daunting task, but there's a lot of good history recorded here), you will find a good portion of SONY dslr development.

A terse evaluation, on my part, reveals that a photographer is one thing: his equipment... and it is ever growing. Migration from one system to another is common and ongoing. This system has this, that has that... it all can be a little confusing.

Since you are buying a new camera (that little fact we have established) and are looking towards improving your current imaging status with it, my advice is:

Do not buy something that has been out there for a while.

The older cameras do one thing real well... they get older. Warranties expire, replaceable parts are harder to get. Just ask an α700 user. Yes, you can take photographs with them... and if you started when they were new... then it makes sense to get your money's worth out of that purchase. If you have not YET bought another new camera... then consider the NEWEST camera, so that you can get the technological advancement out of it, before it, too, goes the way of the dinosaur.

The α65 is the biggest bargain of the bunch, as far as I am concerned, but you do lose out on the "professional" features of the α77; i.e., the vertical grip, the extra frames per second... some nifty add-ons. Since you find yourself strapped for the "bells & whistles" cash, the biggest BANG for the buck is the α65. It gives you all the technological advancement... and provides you with a modest alternative, just in case you decide photography is not your bag. It is a larger body than its lower level brethren... and that solves that.

The argument has usually been, "Get the best lenses you can and then go with the body." In this case, the advancement in technology far out weighs the α230 you are using. You are stepping into a Generational Advancement with the α65. That warrants your decision to put up the little extra cash you have to, to get you firmly started with it. The flexibility of a 24.6 MP image over a 10.2 MP image cannot be described... it has to be experienced. You will have to consider STORING those files, too. You will be going from CF -> SD storage, so get a really big card, right up front (I suggest 32GB, if possible). There is nothing worse than running out of media space during a photo shoot and having to scramble to find more.

I suggest you make it the α65 and start shooting. Put that puppy through its paces and make your photographic experience as impressive and enjoyable as you can. Camera lust is a pain in the butt. Once you have the tool... you can USE IT!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-21-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

also the a55 battery life sucks big time...way to small for the cameras needs...

There was a lot to get through here but I found myself laughing (in a good way) and nodding at the same time due to you all hitting the nail on the head and confirming what had been brewing within me ever since I started searching for a new camera; 'go for it'

The a55 is no longer a serious option due to the poor battery life, 'over heating' and the lack of resolution in the EVF. However, I'm not deterred completely from the EVFs due to JPW2020's statement about his past experiences.

The a65 started as my 'dream' option but I guess now it has to be the reality; I'll have to really scrape the barrel but it'll be worth it! There's a model on display in my local Jessops store, so I'll give it a whurl.

I really appreciate all the advice given and once I gain as much knowledge as you all, I'll be sure to give it back in as much detail.