Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

'Upgrading' and outgrowing the a230 - Recommendations please!

You may have seen me around the forum mentioning (moaning) that I'm outgrowing the a230. I've been looking at the a65 which looks stunning but I'm sure there are other (maybe even cheaper?) alternatives!

I've attached some images to show what I've been shooting with the a230. I'm looking to keep all of my current lenses as well so the camera would need to be compatible with the lenses used for the a230.

Name:  DSC04029.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  2.88 MB
    Name:  DSC04047.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  3.28 MB
    Name:  DSC04061.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  919.8 KB
    Name:  DSC04075.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  970.7 KB
    Name:  DSC04084.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  1.09 MB
    Name:  DSC04087.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  816.1 KB
    Name:  DSC04124.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  1.38 MB

Thanks for the eventual advice guys.

a700 may be an option

I was doing some pricing on the SONY site for trade-ins (<- click here) of their product line. The a700 commands an estimated value of $160

Gee... that's a bargain for the quality improvement you would have using one of these bad boys. Looks like that would give you $41 in trade for your a230... better hurry, huh? $0 is right around the corner.

Hey, that brings up another question: When these things do hit rock-bottom, does that mean the images you produced with them aren't worth a crap, either? You know... just askin'
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I cannot make full use of the trade in link as I live in the UK. But I'll take your word for the a230 becoming practically worthless in terms of trade in. I've seen a few go on eBay for around £100 though.
    Who knows.. I don't sell my images anyway. I guess those that do probably use more expensive/advanced bodies haha

Having checked out the a700, I'm impressed and have found a few on eBay for around £400 (used). However, it was released in 2007; is it not also in danger of 'hitting rock bottom' like the a230? I'm just a bit wary of paying £400 for a used camera that's nearly 5 years old. Reassure me?
    Last edited by JackoWilliams; 01-17-2012 at 02:58 AM.

You have to bear in mind...

These are SONY trade-ins... and they are not going to give you FMV (fair market value) for their own product. I suspect that they would rather you bought a new one and threw the other one away, so they could sell a "new" camera to the next guy, too, instead of you. It's all about the buck, with them. Cynically speaking, they are just continually developing ways to reach into your pocket and pull it out.

Of course, on this side, we are more concerned with making the product work better and producing a decent result.. and try to not go extinct by doing it.

I do not think you will go wrong with an a65. It is clearly the newest kid on the block and that's the way it is. Once you buy it, the trade-in value slips to about half, even though you have not opened the box, yet. That's sad, but that's how it works.

What's the value of an item you are selling?

WHATEVER THE CUSTOMER IS WILLING TO PAY -> BOTTOM LINE.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I never trade anything in; whether it be a video game or a camera. I reckon I could shift my a230 for around £120, give or take a few quid.

So I've basically widdled it down to 4 options...
    a55, a580, a700 and the a65

I love the look of the a65 and it sounds as if it's a brilliant all rounder and performs well on every shot. But I'm really stuck. Still.

Jacko, I can see you've got the hang of the 230 and I just realised you are UK based as well.
    The A700 is a good choice for anyone with restricted cash and a good solid camera that will survive a few knocks but it is a bit old hat now.
    If you have the money then the A580/A65 are better bets and neither camera will disappoint, I'm sure.

As usual, it all comes down to LSD.

Thanks a lot. I did actually narrow it down to the a580 or the a65 before I read this post; I guess I have good judgment!

I'm not sure what you mean by LSD though, sorry haha

Thanks for the help,

Quote Originally Posted by JackoWilliams View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by LSD though, sorry haha
    You must be just a young 'un! LSD = £sd = pounds, shillings and pence (in the old money).
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff — oh, and some Canon p&s's too

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
    You must be just a young 'un! LSD = £sd = pounds, shillings and pence (in the old money).
    Yepp. I'm 17 haha.