Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Why have Micro 4/3 lenses on large-body cams?

Is there any reason for having Micro 4/3 lenses on large-body cameras? (SLR-style bodies) Aside from the benefit of smaller size...

I've owned a GH1 for a few months now, and can't figure out what use there was for putting Micro 4/3 on this cam. I see a whole list of performance drawbacks that small lenses come with, and the smaller bulk isn't what I'm thinking about when shopping for a larger-body cam like this.

I completely understand Micro 4/3 on small-body cameras. Sure, the GH1 isn't quite as big as other entry-level D-SLR's, but I would NOT buy one again just for the slightly smaller size. I thought I understood Micro 4/3 before buying this, but I never came across a list of its serious drawbacks vs. larger lenses.

I hope I'm just missing something. Any insight?
    (or let me just ask this question: Aside from less bulk, why should someone want the Micro 4/3 system on a larger-body camera?)
    Last edited by Dario D.; 01-04-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Dario,

The benefit on the SLR styled Panasonic is just the total size of the lens+camera as a package. The other potential benefit is that many of the m4/3rd's lens are designed and optimized for HD video shooting, particularly the new Panasonic X series with their motorized zooms. The real benefit is the same as for any camera system family; a broader user base to sell to so there is more reason to make a wider variety of lenses. Certainly no one can argue that the m4/3rd's system has failed in that area. It clearly has the most comprehensive set of dedicated lenses of any of the mirrorless systems (their head start did not hurt).

I wouldn't consider a GH1 a larger body camera. The primary benefit is size.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. I personally prefer the smaller lenses, which would make for a smaller total system even with the larger camera. So the reason to buy the camera is that when you carry it and three lenses, it is significantly lighter and less bulky than an equivalent DSLR and three equivalent lenses, regardless of what camera body is used. Other than this, there probably isn't much of a point.