Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Light Trails!

Threaded View

I'll be a little blunter in the interest of helping.

Don't spend an extra cent on gear for a while, that would not make the least improvement to those shots (which is all technique related) and wouldn't fit with your financial circumstances either.

Find a scene that looks interesting to your eye without any light trails in it (eg looking down a street with pretty building lights and a road in it), that way when you add the light trails it will look interesting plus light trails.

Get the horizon straight.

The scenes above would take a car roughly 10 seconds to pass through so use that as your starting point for shutter speed.

Set the cam on manual, shutter speed 10 sec, apperture try F7.1 and take the shot then judge if the exposure is ok, if it's too dark and your lens allows it open it up a bit more, if too light close the apperture slightly.

For 10+ second exposure you don't need to worry about the tiny bit of shake in pressing the shutter at the start ie no remote required.

To give an example what I mean here is one of my early shots with cheap photography gear using method above. I know it's reasonably bad but at the time I was very happy to get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate