Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Trails!

Light Trails!

I took these shots with my Sony a230. I'm relatively new to the whole "light trails" thing and would like to know what others think.
    Also, I'm looking to upgrade from the a230 some time next year as I feel myself "outgrowing" it - any realistic suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by JackoWilliams; 01-01-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Your attachments do not work; I find the gallery/upload on this version of the forum is complicated and I think you need to have another go.

If you are not going "all in," as they say...

the α65 will probably set the 2012 base line for a typical DSLR/SLT solution for a couple more years.

If you are going to be a bit more brazen in your SONY photography, looking to buy additional lighting and advanced lenses, and seem to feel you might want a total approach out of the camera body, the α77 offers options the α65 cannot support, without some help. It also adds $500 to the price tag.

So, there you go... as a short response.

You could also wait until mid-year, when SONY is supposed to release the Full Frame solutions... which really should be quite grandiose. We shall see... growth has its inherent price.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-31-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I can't see the shots either Jacko.

You've not said anything about your circumstances, eg what you like to shoot etc so you can't therefore get any meaningful advic - just people chiming in with their personal wish lists (or agenda push).

Do you have much investment in Sony (and therefore trying to stick with that brand), are you looking for a cost conscious solution or top end gear. I simply ask this as you may be smarter to consider other manufacturers.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Don, are you saying they may finally build it..lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ah. I'll try uploading the pictures again. I've had problems with the uploader before; I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
    In terms of the camera it has to be a Sony as I've got a few lenses, flashguns etc. now and I don't want to go changing brand of camera as I'll be "losing" a lot of equipment that I have just purchased. I do weddings, christenings and other occasions but I also love shooting outdoors. Not a keen sports photographer, so fps isn't a major issue. I've been looking at the a35 or the a55; reasonably priced and seemed to be well equipped. Not at all fussed about video functionalities.

As for the a65 it's a little unrealistic in terms of price. I don't really have the money to afford anything over 500 (with selling my a230). Beautiful body nonetheless.
    Last edited by JackoWilliams; 01-01-2012 at 09:29 AM.

The attachments should work now

Well... you spoke of an "upgrade",,, and as far as I can remember, that usually meant digging a bit deeper into the ol' pocket hole. You picked a bad hobby for not wanting spend a bit to get up to snuff. Yes, there is a top stop... and as near as I have been able to figure it, it's about $20,000 - $50,000 depending on your choice of photographic genre!

It is just the way everything is priced (and God knows, that's on the rise), from fine optics you need to shoot through for superior results to a decent-enough sensor at the rear of your lens, to capture it all. Then, ah yes, lighting... another rabbit hole.

Okay.. you have my advice. Don't cheap out... it always shows.

Good luck
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I can see the shots now thanks. I'm not rapt with any of them but it's a good place to start I guess. I don't think adding gear is the answer either unless these were hand held in which case a tripod would make the most difference to this genre of shots. I'd like the blacks a little blacker and the compositions a little cleaner, for example a straighter horizon and a strong subject with the light trails leading to or around it.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I spend as much as I can on my camera and photography. There is such thing as a budget! I rely on a government bursary from my Sixth Form College every 4 months which is only 300 so I can only spend so much :/ Thanks for the advice though, I'll bear that in mind.

Back to the shots... I was using a tripod but without a remote, I've been told that can make difference. I agree that the composition could be "cleaner" and I shall be returning to that spot in the near future; maybe when it's less busy (which is hardly ever in Central London). I'm gonna brush up on my manual setting skills as well (not that I used auto settings on this ocassion).

Thanks again!