Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best non-sony, inexpensive flash gun.

Not looking for anything flash but one that does the job and doesn't cost any more than 100. I've seen that Metz make a good flash for the alpha range but I'm undecided.

Anyone shed any light on this topic? (no seriously, that one was unintentional)

Thanks,

Lightbulb Personally...

I gave up trying to get light out of a cheap flash. I have decidedly gone the other way and established the fact that I can successfully reduce the flash to what I need... but, I still cannot get more out of one than it has.

The day I mounted the Metz 76 MZ5... there was no looking back. The basic unit works on any hot shoe, but if you want specific TTL response (which is excellent... much better than the high-end SONY flash) from it, you have to purchase the adapter for the manufacturer of your camera. I mean this thing is awesome with a capital "A."

Again, if you want solid performance and response from a "one-gun" unit, look no further... this is it.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol @ Don. too funny.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

There you go, cheap as chips.
    But remember, you get what you pay for.

Chongqing Jiaotong Daxue, Xuefu Dadau, Nan'an, Chongqing, P.R.China
    non-TTL, but it would work with a remote trigger as slaved to the on-camera one as a filler flash from a different angle to the camera.

I was assuming that a second unit was what you wanted, I know Frank has good success with one of these.
    If you're just after a more powerful flash then the Metz are a good choice.
    The mecablitz 36 is within budget but you have to remember to manually set the zoom (everyone forgets).
    The mecablitz 44 has a motorized zoom but is well over budget and more than a secondhand Sony F42AM.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'm actually looking to use it as my primary flash; I'm just starting to get in to photography properly. I'm a student so money is a slight issue. I'll check the Metz range out; I've heard good things about them.

Thanks again!

OH has anybody tried the Yongnuo YN-460 flash? It was on my shortlist due to the good reviews and the incredible price. Never heard of the brand before so I'm a bit wary of purchasing it.

Like I said above, "cheap as chips" and great for a secondary fill light.
    Not so good for a primary on camera flash because it's manual only (down to 1/64th) and no TTL.

Ah I see. I'll steer clear of that particular flash then. Think I'll go for the Metz Mecablitz 36.

Thanks again!