Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Photoshop vs. Paintshop?

I'm just now considering playing with some kind of photo editing. A teacher in a digicam class suggested I try a free download of Paintshop Pro, but I see most everyone here is talking about Photoshop.
    Can anyone offer me some advice? I'm quite "low-tech". My computer has Windows XP. I like using My Pictures & I do have some sort of "Paint" feature, but I don't really know much about using it.
    My main problem lately is figuring out how to easily downsize my pix for posting on forums like this. I also use another bulletin board that needs pix twice as small as this one will accept. Will either the Paintshop or Photoshop easily do that for me?
    Otherwise, I'd like to learn some basic photo fixing, but I'm still trying to hold onto that "purist" attitude of getting the pic. right when you shoot it.

TimothyR Guest
    I'm very new to the digital imaging scene myself, so weight my lack of experience against any other advice you may receive. With my disclaimer out of the way, my suggestion is to try a few trials of different software packages until you find one you like and think you can be comfortable using. I've experimented with both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop in the past, but find them both to have a steep learning curve that I really didn't have the patience to go through.

After reading this and other forums, I downloaded several freeware and trial versions of software recommended by others. Currently I'm using the trial version of Photoshop Elements 3.0, and like it. It has brief tutorials and will "hold your hand" through some simple tasks such as the image resizing, cropping, color correction and many other things. While it may lack the "power" of Photoshop, it's easy to use and has more than enough tools to serve my needs. The trial version is avaialbe for download from Adobe. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

Another program that I have seen recommended by others is Ulead PhotoImpact 10. I have downloaded the trial version, but haven't tried it out yet. http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

At my current skill level, and needs, a program like Photoshop Elements 3.0 seems to fit my needs perfectly. Full Blown Photoshop seems to be the choice of professionals and has the pricetag and learning curve to boot. It has the most resources avaiable, both online and in book form. I personally don't need all that it offers at this time. You may have different needs or goals in mind, but it can't hurt to try the trial versions of the above programs to see if they fit your current or near future needs. Try the trial version of Paint Shop Pro and any others that may interest you. Find out what you like best and go with it. Don't worry to much about what others use, after all, you are the one that has to be comfortable using a piece of software.

Tim

two good photo editing programs are:

Paint.net It's like MS paint on steroids and it supports layers.

and

GIMP some people swear by gimp 2.2

oh and of course these two programs are free! if you dont like both. buy photoshop elements, good program also.

come back and tell us how you like it!

Talking Thanks,guys!

Thanks, Tim & Hot Rod. I think that sounds like a good idea. I got an email from a friend suggesting the same thing after I posted this. At least it won't cost anything to give them a try.
    I'll check out those others you mentioned,also. It's funny, awhile ago, on this forum, I saw someone writing about "Gimp" & I couldn't imagine what they were talking about!

hi all the only thing with the free trials ie photoshop elements they are very big downloads from site 228 mb what do you use for such large downloads if you have not got broadband , i try to find stuff on cd that comes with photo mags or pc magazines.
    thank you

Lightbulb Software Uncovered

I have been using paint shop pro for years but recently upgraded to Photoshop CS and to my delight the usability is excelent, the ability of the application is great.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
    I have been using paint shop pro for years but recently upgraded to Photoshop CS and to my delight the usability is excelent, the ability of the application is great.
    OK, but honestly, is it really worth $500 more for non-professional use? I understand if you don't mind paying that much, but what do I absolutely need, that PSP cannot do, that's worth all the extra money, assuming you consider the cost?

Cheers,
    Eric
    Last edited by erichlund; 03-17-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Wow, four days and no answer. Or rather, no response is the answer. For the extra $500 you can use what the pros use. I saved the $500 and have something that works well (even has a raw filter for my D70).

The reality is that Adobe products have always been overpriced. They don't want any riff raff off the street buying. They are targeted at pros and they charge a premium to keep the rest of us out. Fine by me. Paint Shop Pro and Nikon Capture are all I need.

Cheers,
    Eric

I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund
    Wow, four days and no answer. Or rather, no response is the answer. For the extra $500 you can use what the pros use. I saved the $500 and have something that works well (even has a raw filter for my D70).

The reality is that Adobe products have always been overpriced. They don't want any riff raff off the street buying. They are targeted at pros and they charge a premium to keep the rest of us out. Fine by me. Paint Shop Pro and Nikon Capture are all I need.

Cheers,
    Eric
    I noticed the prices on the Adobe products while considering free trial downloads. Then, I heard Paintshop was much easier to use & cheaper,too.
    I have an "Adobe Starter Album" that came with my computer, but I find the regular "Paint" program (that's in my computer) easier to use for re-sizing,etc. I'm not that much into photo "tricks", anyway.

Hi Digideb,

If you are not that much into tricks and want to just get started with a simple, free editing program, you could try Picasa at www.picasa.com. It might be a good intro into digital editing for you, and some folks who use it claim it is all they really need.