Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation best physical store to visit

Can anyone recommend a good store that I can visit to actually try out cameras before I buy?

PixChick

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by PixChick
    Can anyone recommend a good store that I can visit to actually try out cameras before I buy?

PixChick
    That's very hard for anybody to tell you. We don't know which country you're from, even. Why ask us? Why not simply walk down to the local shops and have a look around? You'll get better service from independent small retailers than the large box-shifter retailer that just employs salesmen.

i like bestbuy, they have some decieving price tags with rebate crap and stuff but all the cameras are hooked up and work and have cards in them so you can test them ou and stuff without an annoying marketing guy over your shoulder trying to sell all the features, its nice

For a true "try before you buy" experience, I recommend Ritz. They have a no questions asked 30 day money back return policy. I recently talked to a rep at Ritz who had to take a DReb back that he knew the customer bought just to take on a beach vacation. How did he know? Sand in the cracks and crevices!
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Ritz

Quote Originally Posted by jamison55
    For a true "try before you buy" experience, I recommend Ritz. They have a no questions asked 30 day money back return policy. I recently talked to a rep at Ritz who had to take a DReb back that he knew the customer bought just to take on a beach vacation. How did he know? Sand in the cracks and crevices!

We have a Ritz around here and I will check that out. I was hoping to find a place with a money back guarantee in case I use the camera for a bit and decide it really isn't what I want. For me, I think that will be the only way I can be satisfied--trying out the camera more than just in the store. Are the salespeople knowledgeable there? At "big box" places most salespeople know almost nothing!!! I was in one unnamed one the other day and the store didn't even have some of the newer cameras (they still had the Oly 740 and nothing newer!). The sales guy didn't know what AF assist was either. Anyway, thanks for the info about Ritz.

PixChick

Quote Originally Posted by PixChick
    We have a Ritz around here and I will check that out. I was hoping to find a place with a money back guarantee in case I use the camera for a bit and decide it really isn't what I want. For me, I think that will be the only way I can be satisfied--trying out the camera more than just in the store. Are the salespeople knowledgeable there? At "big box" places most salespeople know almost nothing!!! I was in one unnamed one the other day and the store didn't even have some of the newer cameras (they still had the Oly 740 and nothing newer!). The sales guy didn't know what AF assist was either. Anyway, thanks for the info about Ritz.

PixChick
    Generally, although they are owned by the same company, I have found that stand alone Wolf stores personnel are a more savy and better trained than their Mall counterparts at Ritz. And they are better stocked due to having more floor space. My youngest son Greg works at the Wolf camera in Los Gatos, CA. If you are in the neighborhood, and he's there, say hi.

I have never had a problem returning items at Wolf. And the three stores I frequented in the South Bay (before I moved to Phoenix) were very good.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Generally, although they are owned by the same company, I have found that stand alone Wolf stores personnel are a more savy and better trained than their Mall counterparts at Ritz. And they are better stocked due to having more floor space. My youngest son Greg works at the Wolf camera in Los Gatos, CA. If you are in the neighborhood, and he's there, say hi.

I have never had a problem returning items at Wolf. And the three stores I frequented in the South Bay (before I moved to Phoenix) were very good.

Thank you for the info. I am not sure I have a Wolf near me, but I will go there if I do. I would like a knowlegeable salesperson to be able to answer my questions. I don't think I'll be making it to Los Gatos though, as I live on the east coast. But just as I say that, I will somehow manage to end up there, even if on a vacation. As I said, thank you for the input.

PixChick