Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are Quantaray lenses good?

I am new to this forum, but just wanted to see if anyone has used the quantaray lenses. Would you recomend one for a D-Rebel? If not which one is the best for a non professional?

From what I have heard I would stay away from them.... what lens in particular are you looking at?

As for other 3rd party, well Sigma, Tamron and Tokina make some nice lenses, and some not so nice lenses, again what in particular are you looking for?

I was looking at a 100-300 Quantaray lens, and a 28-80 Tamron lens. I am looking for a good telefoto lens.

Quantaray = low-grade Sigma

Slow, loud AF. Poor optical performance. (However, 70-210mm has a nice wide-end, but getting poorer at tele-end considerably)

You really get what you pay for as in, spending $100 on a lens gets you $100 quality. Pay up and get a Sigma or Tamron instead. You spent the money to get a Digital Rebel. Don't ruin that investment with shoddy lenses that will take worse pictures than a budget point and shoot.

ok for the 100-300 range (or there abouts)....

The Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro is a nice enough slow telephoto, VERY good value for your money (but it is not an expensive lens and is fairly slow being 4-5.6) costs around US$150 I think. I find the colours a little dull with this lens at times, but for when the speed isn't required and I want to travel light I use it rather than my prime telephotos, which are obviously faster and sharper but less convieniant.

A good quality choice, without paying a fortune, would be the 70-200 2.8 Sigma EX, but that is a lot more money and I assume out of your price range? (around US$899 I think).... Big and heavy though!

For 28-80, seriously consider the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, it is a VERY nice lens, it costs around US$350 but it still also VERY good value for money.

I don't have a canon, so am not sure what quality Canon glass you can get in these price ranges? maybe others should suggest options!
    Last edited by jeisner; 03-09-2005 at 12:02 AM.

If your going to spend the money buy a 75>300 IS canon lens. It's bit expensive (about 400$) but trust me when I say you'll be happy with it. It's got image stabilzation which keeps the images from bluring when you use the long end of the zoom plus it's got far better performance and resale value then any off brand lens.

Tim

Just a correction on the Sigma. It's $800 list price, not $900.

Tell us what your budget is, otherwise it's hard to make recommendations. If you are new to this, you should go one of two routes.

1) (Recommended) Buy a cheap, entry level telephoto lens first to test the waters. Then, after you've gained experience, buy a high quality one based on your needs.

2) (Only recommended if you know what you're doing) Buy a medium-high quality one off the bat.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the Tamron 70-300 for now, and I can upgrade later to something more professional.

Sigma Quantaray lenses

Well it seem that several people really don't know much about lenses... I have been shooting pictures for near 50 years and had great luck with the Quantaray lenses . They are made by Sigma and true thay are on the lower end of there cost factor . I have 3 different auto focus lenses from them [Quantaray] a 18 to 90mm A 70 to 300mm and a 1000mm and they all run very quit and smooth. I also have the same 3 lenses in the Sigma lenses and believe me when I say it's darn hard to tell them apart maybe i'm sust plain lucky . Why spend 4 times more for a lens if you don't have to, Ron