Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Pentax 450 any good?

I did my research and was all set and ready to buy the Canon A75 or A80 when I came across the Pentax 450. The Canon's had all the features I was looking for except maybe lacking in video quality a bit. But then I see that the Pentax has a 5x optical zoom which I think would be really handy. Does any one have any thoughts about this camera??

Cheers....

Smile The Pentax 450

I don't own the Pentax 450 but I do own the Pentax 550. As we had mentioned on these forums several weeks ago, the compactness, the 5X optical zoom, and the features package is hard to find anywhere else. The Pentax has been a very good digital camera for me with excellent digital photos. We have had folks in our classes who owned the Pentax 450 and loved it dearly.

However, the Pentax's 450/550 design is somewhat outdated by today's standards that feature advanced video, large LCD's and the like. It sounds like video is high on your list, so that might cast a somehat negative pall on the Pentax 450, unless you were able to purchase it for a bargain price.

Sarah Joyce

Smile Pentax 450 Video

Oops, I forgot to comment on the video quality of the Pentax 450. On the Pentax 550, you can record a maximum of 10 minutes of video providing you have a huge SD chip in it, but the video output was only average in quality.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for your response Sarah. I'm really having a tough time deciding on which camera to buy. The Pentax does sound appealing, but a larger LCD screen would be nice. Video quality/features are not that high on my list, the larger optical zoom is higher. I have owned Canon cameras in the past and seem to be able to find more info/reviews about the A75/A80 then I can about the Optio 450/550/555, which doesn't make the Canon a better camera, but it does give a person some sense of security when making a decision.

Do you have any trouble with blurry photos when using your optical zoom at the full 5X?

Thanks.....

Todd

Oh ya Sarah, one more thing. How do you find the shutter lag? Do you have any issues with action shots?

Thanks again...

Todd

Smile Pentax Shutter Lag

There is some shutter lag with Pentax triplets the 450/550/555. Here is another idea. Have you looked at the Canon S-1. Yes, it does have a 1.5 inch LCD, and it is 3,2mp, but it has 10X optical zoom, it is stabilized, it has wonderful Video capabilities, it is very compact, and best of all it has gotten great reviews. Just an idea.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    There is some shutter lag with Pentax triplets the 450/550/555. Here is another idea. Have you looked at the Canon S-1. Yes, it does have a 1.5 inch LCD, and it is 3,2mp, but it has 10X optical zoom, it is stabilized, it has wonderful Video capabilities, it is very compact, and best of all it has gotten great reviews. Just an idea.

Sarah Joyce
    Yes I have thought about the Canon S-1 and did like the features it has. It is not as compact as the Pentax 450/550/555 or Canon's A75/A80, but I guess you can't get everything you want in one package......

Thanks for you help.

Smile Digital Photo Blurring

Todd-

Why I suggested the Canon S-1 is because it is stabilized and therefore you can hand hold shots down as low as 1/25th of a second easily. It is also the size of the Canopn A-75/A-80, but about an inch thicker.

I like the camera very much and would be happy to send you sample photos if you desire it.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    Todd-

Why I suggested the Canon S-1 is because it is stabilized and therefore you can hand hold shots down as low as 1/25th of a second easily. It is also the size of the Canopn A-75/A-80, but about an inch thicker.

I like the camera very much and would be happy to send you sample photos if you desire it.

Sarah Joyce
    Sarah, do you have any issues with the S-1 not having a A-F assist lamp?

I really do like this camera, but its lacking a couple of things in my opinion. They are the A-F assist lamp, a larger LCD and it should be a 4MP. I think if it had these features, it would be a no brainer. I see that the new A95 has a 1.8" flip out display. I wonder if the S-1 will get an upgrade to include this???

With this being my first digital camera purchase, I honestly don't really know what features I can or cannot live without. I'm making my decision by reading reviews and getting info from people like you. Thanks so much.

Todd

PS. I've started a new thread asking for other peoples thoughts about the
    S-1 not having the A-F assist lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra997
    Sarah, do you have any issues with the S-1 not having a A-F assist lamp?

I really do like this camera, but its lacking a couple of things in my opinion. They are the A-F assist lamp, a larger LCD and it should be a 4MP. I think if it had these features, it would be a no brainer. I see that the new A95 has a 1.8" flip out display. I wonder if the S-1 will get an upgrade to include this???

With this being my first digital camera purchase, I honestly don't really know what features I can or cannot live without. I'm making my decision by reading reviews and getting info from people like you. Thanks so much.

Todd

PS. I've started a new thread asking for other peoples thoughts about the
    S-1 not having the A-F assist lamp.
    I think you might do better looking at the Panasonic FZ3 for a compact ultra-zoom (but only 1.5" LCD) or the bigger brother FZ15 with 2" LCD and 4MP CCD. These are all 12X zoom (35-420mm) f2.8 (through the whole range!), Image Stabilized, AND have an AF Illuminator. The bigger, big brother, is the FZ20 which sports a 5MP sensor. Prices are $399, $499, and $599 respectively.

These cameras are not on store shelves yet but are due out in the next few weeks. If they are half as good as the current FZ10, then they are hands-down the leader in the Ultra-zoom field.

To get a feel for these you might want to go to a camera store and look at the FZ1 (if they still have some) which is the same size as the FZ3, and the FZ10 which is the same size as the FZ15 and 20.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 08-19-2004 at 07:58 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/