Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help I am getting very confused.

Help I am getting very confused I have looked at so many cameras. This is my first post here and my first digital camera. I looked at the Kodak DX7360, the LS753, FujiF700, Olympus C60 and Sony.

I want something with a fast start. I will mostly be using it for my kids and around the house. I need some recommendations. My only fall back is that I really want to stay under $400. I would appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by dianedmdj
    Help I am getting very confused I have looked at so many cameras. This is my first post here and my first digital camera. I looked at the Kodak DX7360, the LS753, FujiF700, Olympus C60 and Sony.

I want something with a fast start. I will mostly be using it for my kids and around the house. I need some recommendations. My only fall back is that I really want to stay under $400. I would appreciate any help.
    The Canon A75 is a great family cam and will do everything you ask of it. Easy to use in "auto" mode, and has manual mode for your creative side.

You can also take short (30 second) video clips at 640 x 480, and the A75 has an AF Illuminator for those critical indoor shots.

At 3.2 megapixels you will have plenty of resolution for 4 x 6, 5 x 7, and 8 x 10 prints. Try not to get hung up on the MegaPixel hype, especially if you are not planning on large format prints. Even then the difference can be negligable due to many other factors.

Since the A75 uses standard AA rechargable batteries and low cost Compact Flash (CF I) cards, you can be all set to go for about $300. Down the road you may want to add optional auxilliary lenses for extended wide angle and 2X telephoto (for 6X total).

As always try before you buy, but I think the A75 will more than fit your needs and your budget.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Smile Fast Starting Digital Camera

Certainly George has made an excellent suggestion on the Canon A-75. Keep in mind however, that there are digital cameras with faster startup times than the Canon A-75, if that is a critical factor.

Sarah Joyce

Smile Start-up Times

I did some research and almost all of the start-up times are very close. For example, the Canon A-75 (3mp) start-up time is 3 seconds, the Sony W-1 (5mp) start-up time is 2.5 seconds, the HP R707 (5mp) start-up time is 4 seconds.

And the Canon A-75 at an average internet price of $230 is both very highly rated and the lowest cost of the group. The HP R707 (5mp) is $280, the Sony W-1 (5mp) is $350.

Sarah Joyce

I just want to thank you for all your help. I will check out the cameras you recommended. It sounds like the cannon and sony may be the way to go.

I was look at the sony dsc w1. I have heard that the cannon and the sony pictures are good that is also important.

Thanks again.