Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unhappy FZ20, FZ5, or Dimage Z5? Help

I'm torn between the FZ20, FZ5 or the Dimage Z5. I need a good action shot camera with great zoom for outdoor football pictures. My main objective is great zoom, stablization, and speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm so confused.

I'm not sure why you would have such a hard time deciding, since you only have three parameters. All of your choices have 12x w/IS, so the only area in which there might be a difference would be speed. Speed is just numbers, which you can compile yourself. Just make a list of the numbers that are important to you (they can be found in the reviews), and then choose the camera with the smallest numbers. How hard can that be?

PhilR.

I was just hoping I would get some good expert advice to sway me in the right direction. Surely one of these cameras is better then the other. Which would you pick? Which has the best image quality?

unless minolta has gotten their act together in leaps and bounds from the Z3 to the Z5, i would recommend you go the same way i did.... FZ20.

it would be great for sports shots, and i will be testing that out this year

Quote Originally Posted by kellbell
    I was just hoping I would get some good expert advice to sway me in the right direction.

Given what you want, I would think that if finding out which is the "speediest" of the bunch does not sway your decision, then I don't know what else would. Unless you state some other desired specification, then we can only advise you on what you have already stated.

Surely one of these cameras is better then the other.

Not really. All three come from well-respected manufacturers. Build quality and potential reliability is essentially the same. Although I'm sure that there are many who can tell you if a Camry vs. Accord is better, Toro vs. Lawnboy is better, or Nike vs. Reebok is better -- but I'm not one of them.

Which would you pick?

I would not pick any of them - at least not until they have established a track record.

Which has the best image quality?

I've not used all three, and given that two of those three cams are new, I doubt that anyone else has used all three either. When trying to answer that type of question, most people go to the reviews that have sample pics. The problem here is that AFAIK, there are no comprehensive reviews w/samples for the Z5 and FZ5. If there are some reviews, I hope someone will post the links, as I would like to see them.
    If you are bound and determined to buy one asap, then the only thing I could say is that you do what the rest of us would do - determine what features are important and then buy the one that has those features. It's either that, or wait until some detailed reviews come out, which will probably be within the next few months.

PhilR.

The FZ20 is clearly the best of the choices mentioned, but there are 2 snags: price (well, not really) and size. The FZ20 has the fastest lens of the bunch, rounding out at 2.8 for the whole way. The FZ5 is smaller and more plasticky and its lens slows down a bit towards the telephoto end. You do save $50 for getting it, although I personally would go for the FZ20 unless size were really that big an issue. Based on Jeff's review, the Z5 seems like the same old story of softer than average images. For $500, I'd expect more from KM, but they haven't delivered yet. Heck, you could almost get the superb A200 for that price.

Thank you for all the good advice. I think I will go with the Panasonic FZ20...unless someone thinks there is a better camera out. Price is really not an issue. However, I don't want to get an SRL.